Streamer caught Smallmouth

caddisflyer

caddisflyer

Got this the other afternoon before rain raised levels. Saw baitfish jumping and cast there. Probably 18 or 19" I think.

68572433 526966138075769 5552729252949917696 n

That is a dandy smallmouth! Congrats. What set up did you use as far as line weight, rod?

awesome smallie. congrats! i demand more info asap. what type of water was it caught in. slow? fast? which streamer? what boat are you sitting in! why do you prefer white socks over black socks? does white socks catch more big smallies?

im just joking around. congrats again on a great fish.

That is a dandy smallmouth! Congrats. What set up did you use as far as line weight, rod?
8 wt Redington combo from Bass Pro shop. Floating line, Leader is a piece of 20 lb test tied to a piece of 10 lb test maxima. Short leader, under 4 ft.

awesome smallie. congrats! i demand more info asap. what type of water was it caught in. slow? fast? which streamer? what boat are you sitting in! why do you prefer white socks over black socks? does white socks catch more big smallies?

im just joking around. congrats again on a great fish.
My go to streamer. Weighted olive wooly bugger. Size 2. Caught right on bank from a 14ft flatbottom with 9.9 prop motor!

My go to streamer. Weighted olive wooly bugger. Size 2. Caught right on bank from a 14ft flatbottom with 9.9 prop motor!
Dear caddisflyer,

Nice fish!

I have the rod and the flies covered, but what I really need is a decent jon boat like yours!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Nice. It was fishing well before the blowout with rain. Client pics from week leading up to the rain deluge.

Attachments

• IMG_20230810_210819~2.jpg
    IMG_20230810_210819~2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20230810_210805~2.jpg
    IMG_20230810_210805~2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 110
  • OI000094~4.JPG
    OI000094~4.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 112
Nice. It was fishing well before the blowout with rain. Client pics from week leading up to the rain deluge.
It has been good. I have more 20" fish this summer than I ever got I think. Pics are me, son and others with some.PXL 20230722 002532190PXL 20230812 102924067 1PXL 20230707 200231609PXL 20230715 140307370PXL 20230727 000755956PXL 20230805 112044576

Attachments

• IMG_20230719_205717 (1).jpg
    IMG_20230719_205717 (1).jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Great fish. What is strange, those fish didn't just appear, they are older. 2019-2022 were tough. Hard time finding decent fish between mid June and end of September. This year, they seem to be back in typical locations and are catchable. The amount of smaller fish have me feeling good for the next 5 years.

Great fish. What is strange, those fish didn't just appear, they are older. 2019-2022 were tough. Hard time finding decent fish between mid June and end of September. This year, they seem to be back in typical locations and are catchable. The amount of smaller fish have me feeling good for the next 5 years.
Yes. Plenty of fish coming up. I think 3 yrs ago I had a decent summer but it is weird how they just show up. Not only that but I am catching decent fish in places I have not found them in many many years.

Dear krayfish,

The last couple of years my buddy and his son have been fishing the Susky with Nucanoe Unlimiteds and Torqueedo motors mostly from the mouth of the Conodoguinet.

They always caught plenty of 15-to-18-inch fish with the occasional bigger fish, but they have Torquedoes with the Garmin GPS bullshit laser tracking, and they could just sit on the fish when then found them. They spin fish but they release everything, so I don't begrudge them their success. But as a wade fisherman or a paddle kayak fisherman I would get a little miffed when they sent me pictures. ;)

I moved here in 2001 with a Voyager 1685 jet jon boat that I owned when I lived in upstate NY. We slayed fish out of that rig from Laceyville PA to Windsor NY when I lived there. When I got here the river was in serious decline and I sold the rig in 2004.

I regret that now.

Regards,

Tim,
That section around great bend looks featureless but I hear it fishes well and holds lots of musky. Never thought of dipping a line as I drove over it on the way to deposit.

Tim,
That section around great bend looks featureless but I hear it fishes well and holds lots of musky. Never thought of dipping a line as I drove over it on the way to deposit.
Dear krayfish,

We waded and figure 8-ed lots of streamers when the musky came. Never had a hook up but usually had some entertainment. We caught more than a few pike on the river from Sayre up to Johnson City NY though. And I did land a legal musky at Rock Bottom Dam in Binghamton, on 2lb test and a 1-inch Mister Twister one March Day.

I think I had he first jet outboard in upstate NY. I wish I could go back with my baby brother Terry for a do-over. We did great, but I just miss it, and I miss him.

Regards,

Susky down here will be blown out for a while. Big rains just above the state line. WB Delaware was 7k at Hale Eddy which is insane. Here's pic of Susky in Binghamton...in the trees!

Attachments

• IMG_20230819_193256.jpg
    IMG_20230819_193256.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 54
Susky down here will be blown out for a while. Big rains just above the state line. WB Delaware was 7k at Hale Eddy which is insane. Here's pic of Susky in Binghamton...in the trees!
Dear krayfish,

Time to hang on a tree and jig 3-inch Mr. Twisters around the stump field. The walleyes and smallies will get really close to the bank for grub.

The river down here is effed until Labor Day with no more rain. Any more rain might ruin it till Halloween.

Regards,

Compared to trout, smallmouth are moody and fickle and are so much more difficult to figure out. Sure you can go blast a bunch of 8"ers any old time, but mature smallmouth are another thing altogether.

You guys make me happy I live where I do. The Juniata returns to good levels in a hurry. Right now it looks wonderful. I'll be on it tonight.

But please, stay down there and sulk over the Susky.....no need for y'all to come crowd my waters.

Had one of my best days ever in the Sinnemahoning on Friday as well. Must have been just right.

Back