Straightening leaders?

N

nathanazajac

So what is the secret to straightening your leaders, I always wind up kinking mine up real bad when I am moving spots is there a trick. Thanks

Use a piece of rubber and run the leader through it. Quite a few companies make leader straighteners, but any piece of rubber will do.

I think you're asking about keeping the leader from kinking in the tip-top when reeled up?

If so, hook the fly on the stripping guide (or first snake guide depending on rod and leader length), take the leader back over the reel body, then reel up the slack.

Just for clarification, I take my leader UNDER the reel and hook the fly on a guide. Make sure my flyline is out through the tiptop before you hook the fly.

I use straight mono for the thicker sections of my leaders. A stretch is all it takes.

maxima chameleon will straighten out with a good tug every time. Add stiffness and toughness and that is why so many use it for butt sections and a couple of sections of taper.

If you are using extruded knotless leaders, there may be something about the extrusion process that makes them curl and kink more--at least that is my impression.

Wrapping around the reel, genius thanks a lot for the replies

Back