Stop Stocking Over Wild Trout

mr7183

mr7183

Great call to action on the subject from the boys at Troutbitten. I see less and less bait fishermen with stringers every year, the time is now to continue pushing for more thoughtful regs from the PFBC!

We've discussed extensively before, but its always good to refresh the conversation... what streams do you want to see off the list?

As a start off the top of my head:

Section 3 of Letort Spring Run (privately stocked)
Section 2 of the Monocasy (club stocking)
Section 8 of the Monocasy
Section 4 & 7 of the Little Lehigh Creek

You know, with the creeks I would like to see the stocking stop, I am torn.

Most of them are in urban or town settings in Northampton and Berks Counties that get a visit from the early spring PowerBait guild and barbed treble hook heroes, so I would rather those folks have something for the table or something quite easy to catch (at least to start) instead of unknowingly mishandling wild trout. The pressure dies down right about now, and it's amazing how quickly the wild trout respond.

As a start off the top of my head:

Section 3 of Letort Spring Run (privately stocked)
Section 2 of the Monocasy (club stocking)
Section 8 of the Monocasy
Section 4 & 7 of the Little Lehigh Creek
I did not know there were stocked fish in Letort… that’s a travesty!

The local stream for me is Fishing Creek in Columbia Country…. miles and miles of cold water from SGL through Orangeville with tons of potential.

You know, with the creeks I would like to see the stocking stop, I am torn.

Most of them are in urban or town settings in Northampton and Berks Counties that get a visit from the early spring PowerBait guild and barbed treble hook heroes, so I would rather those folks have something for the table or something quite easy to catch (at least to start) instead of unknowingly mishandling wild trout. The pressure dies down right about now, and it's amazing how quickly the wild trout respond.

I used to feel that way but when I think about how limited the opportunities were growing up in Suburban Philly versus where I live now & fish most often (Berks, Lehigh, Northampton); I can't imagine taking 3 sections off the PFBC stocking list is going to have a huge impact on those that like catching stockers.

I also don't agree AT ALL with private clubs or communities being allowed to stock Class A sections for fishing derbies for kids or anybody for that matter. There are PLENTY of places those fish can be dumped without stocking Section 3 of the Letort or Section 2 of the Monocasy... :mad:

As an example, I belong to two small fish & game clubs in Berks & Lehigh Counties that both have kid's fishing derbies. One club closes off a section of a regular stocked stream and dumps fish in there for their derby.

The other club which has a Class A running past their property puts the fish in a concrete raceway OUTSIDE of the creek and after the kids have their chances during the derby, adults can come in on the days following until the "tank" is fished out. No fish are put into the Class A...

IMHO that's the way it should be done everywhere...

I didn't know that either. It is a shame.

It's been going on for a LONG time and is sponsored by the community...

I actually caught a rainbow & brookie way upstream in Section 2 that came from that stocking.

I used to feel that way but when I think about how limited the opportunities were growing up in Suburban Philly versus where I live now & fish most often (Berks, Lehigh, Northampton); I can't imagine taking 3 sections off the PFBC stocking list is going to have a huge impact on those that like catching stockers.

I also don't agree AT ALL with private clubs or communities being allowed to stock Class A sections for fishing derbies for kids or anybody for that matter. There are PLENTY of places those fish can be dumped without stocking Section 3 of the Letort or Section 2 of the Monocasy... :mad:

As an example, I belong to two small fish & game clubs in Berks & Lehigh Counties that both have kid's fishing derbies. One club closes off a section of a regular stocked stream and dumps fish in there for their derby.

The other club which has a Class A running past their property puts the fish in a concrete raceway OUTSIDE of the creek and after the kids have their chances during the derby, adults can come in on the days following until the "tank" is fished out. No fish are put into the Class A...

IMHO that's the way it should be done everywhere...

Yeah, the club and TU stocking (!) does get under my skin too....

Falling springs delayed harvest. Someone must be privately stocking the fly fishing only section too because I was there with my friend the other day and we caught three stocked rainbows and I had a brookie that looked stocked come unhooked

Yeah, the club and TU stocking (!) does get under my skin too....
Does anyone know if TU, at the national level, has ever taken an official stance on local chapters functioning as club hatcheries?

Personally, this is the biggest reason I do not support my local chapter. Because that's all it is, a stocking club and their choice of stream "improvements" projects is almost always closely aligned with their stocking.

East Fork, Cross Fork, Upper Kettle, Wycoff Run, Oswayo, and about 30 smaller lesser known streams that are stocked by co-ops.

Which TU chapter is stocking which stream?
I think you asked this a few years ago, and I asked you to PM me. Not looking to flame a chapter, even if they should know better....

East Fork, Cross Fork, Upper Kettle, Wycoff Run, Oswayo, and about 30 smaller lesser known streams that are stocked by co-ops.
Oswayo wouldnt matter anyway as theres always gonne be escapees from the hatchery. You can take that to the bank🧐

Back