Stocking Trout

S

Stone_Fly

I believe that in the very near future PFBC will be forced by economics to stop stocking hatchery trout over wild populations. While it may cause some consternation among anglers, most anglers know that it is wrong to stock where there is a wild population of trout.
The cost of running hatcheries isn't getting any cheaper, especially the rising cost of fuel. These cost increases will likely dictate to the great white fleet where stocking will occur.
As for regulations on wild trout streams they will be changed and the changes will be based on science.

Sounds good to me. I hate catching stocked trout in streams where there is wild populations. I've always wondered how much better ther wild trout population would get without the competition with stupid stockers, especially streams with natives. My only concern is the increase of wild trout being kept, but I would think these streams would get less pressure without the stocked trout.

I'm more opposed to stocking over native trout populations. Although I don't know if it would make them any larger or more prolific. I would like to see these streams kept as pristine as possible. Just my opinion.

They could definitely save a lot of money by reducing the amount of stream sections they stock and they would also allow some wild populations to grow to their potential. I think the PFBC could shut down an enitre hatchery or 2 and still be able to stock enough trout to please everyone. Especially considering how many Co-op nurseries there are in every county.

A Class A stream that I have fished frequently in my life was taken off the stocking list some years ago. It was allowed to become a very nice, though tougher, wild trout fishery. The Yahoos stopped fishing it because of course without stocking, everyone knows there were no fish. It was put back on because on public pressure or whatever, and now the Yahoos are back because the white truck ensured that there are fish.

I say stock the streams that won't hold fish otherwise and let the Yahoos have their fun, and leave the others alone. I won't bother them, and the wild resource will be saved. Not stocking over wild trout sounds great to me.

Stone_Fly wrote:
I believe that in the very near future PFBC will be forced by economics to stop stocking hatchery trout over wild populations. While it may cause some consternation among anglers, most anglers know that it is wrong to stock where there is a wild population of trout.
The cost of running hatcheries isn't getting any cheaper, especially the rising cost of fuel. These cost increases will likely dictate to the great white fleet where stocking will occur.
As for regulations on wild trout streams they will be changed and the changes will be based on science.

I hope you are right. However, I don't believe that most anglers know it is wrong to stock where there is a wild population. I remember fishing with my little brother a couple years ago. For years, we have fished together in both stocked and unstocked streams, and we almost always release with wild trout. This time we were fishing a class A stream where there aren't many class a streams. This one produces lots of trout, but not vary many large ones. I say it is because of harvest and fishing pressure, although some experts here would argue otherwise. Anyway, as we were leaving, my brother said it sure would be nice if they stocked a few larger trout in that stream. I almost slapped him upside the head with the old St. Croix. The problem is, he never really thought about the downsides of stocking a stream like that. He now thinks about it, and realizes that thought was wrong. Since I know my brother spends way more time in the woods than most, I have to believe that the average angler simply doesn't know the downside of stocking a good wild trout stream, or doesn't care.

Farmer Dave,
You bring up a good point there. Even though your brother spends so much time outdoors he never thought about the effects of stocking over wild trout. Most people don't. Its surprising how many people dont even know the difference between wild and stocked. You really can't blame a person for being uneducated on streams and fish, for most people fishing is just something they do to pass some time and its not really their hobby or lifestyle. I think if more people were taught the difference more people would care. Although to most of us this is good news, I'm sure there are more people who would be upset about this.

Also most average fisherman only care about one thing... catching big fish and a lot of wild trout streams just don't produce fish of that caliber. However despite the downside to stocking over wild populations, many people including Co-op nursuries do it so they can catch something over 7".

A day full of 5 and 6 in. natives is a fine day to me. A few years ago some one threw a bunch of stockers in a small stream near me that isn't stocked. Now there is a large number of wild browns in the stream when before it was 90% brooks. I'm not sure if the fish that were stocked reproduced, if stockers ate up the small natives, or if its just global warming. Either way I was really upset to see stocked fish in a beautiful little stream.

all i can say is Amen :-D

I must agree with you'all on this topic. Stocking over wild populations is so hard on them it isnt even funny. Here is an example i can share with you guys. I have a cabin just below Slate Run, PA. About 5-6 years ago i went up maybe a month after the first day of trout to do some fly fishing on the Pine and in the Class A that runs by my cabin. Aparrently they had gotten high water sometime in that month because several stocked trout had swam up the run from the Pine and were holding in several pools up the class A. Right away myself and a few friends/relatives went through the sream and caught all or most of the stocked trout and kept them, (normally i'm die hard catch-n-release). As we walked back to the cabin three guys passed us and said "Leave some behind for the kids a**holes" Even though this stream doesnt get stocked. This statement pissed my uncle off more than most. After a few choice words he took out his pocket knife and slit open the belly of one of the heftier browns we had caught and showed the 3 fellas 3 or 4 small brookies this trout had eaten. I think they got the message then. Unfortunately 98% of the fishermen out there dont understand this and need to see something like that themselves before they believe what a negative impact Stockies have on wild populations of trout.

"most anglers know that it is wrong to stock where there is a wild population of trout"

I am not so sure about that.

mattd wrote:
A day full of 5 and 6 in. natives is a fine day to me. .

Well Matt then PA is your state. Cuz thats the goal...to make loads of 5-6" brookies.

>>I believe that in the very near future PFBC will be forced by economics to stop stocking hatchery trout over wild populations. >>

That may well be and I would, by and large, welcome the change.

At the same time, I hope doing so does not reduce the number of people who care about these streams.

Fishermen are a large component of the constituency for clean water.

true but then, there should b millions of dollars to put into streams rather than stocking ;-) just no one to work on them :roll:

Back