Stockies: Keep or Release?

I would guess that stocked streams are there for Put and Take right? With no natural reproduction, there is no reason to not keep your fish. Also on cooking them, try brining with 1 gallon water, 1 cup canning salt, 1 cup brown sugar, and two cups lemon juice. 3 hours time, and then on the grill. Cook until skin is crispy. I gut and remove head from fish before brine.

stocked trout don't taste that good imho, and who knows what chemicals, steriods, they use to grow them on and colour the flesh.

i much prefer wild trout, but if one was bleeding from the gills or flat out done then i'd knock it on the head. i prefer to put them back for someone else (maybe a kid) to catch.

filleting trout is easy. run a sharp knife along its gut from gills back to anal fin. pull out guts and throw away. place trout on side. with a large sharp knife make one vertical cut behind the gills down to the backbone. then turn knife sideways and cut along the backbone up to the anal fin.

make another vertical cut there to the backbone and lift off fillet. turn trout over and repeat.

cut off remaining fins and you're good to go.

place on foil skinside down with lemon, pepper, dill and bacon on top. fold edges up into a parcel and place in oven, or on camp fire for 10 minutes. check it then cook till done.

Here's an even more convenient way to clean fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQFv83QJ2Y

PennKev: I don't know maybe it's meeeeeee. As things start to heat up, I'm beginning to think that trout purposely let the smaller fish chow down on your fly/nymph first and then follow the hooked fish around to see if there is a flyer attached at the end of the line.

What good is good eyesight if the fish does not use it?

Back