Stockies: Keep or Release?

Traditionally, I take several lifelong friends out in my boat on opening day and keep my days catch for the fry pan. These fish are stockers in mountain lakes where they are unlikely to survive the summer.

L_soult wrote:
Is there any good reason this dad shouldn't bring home some fish to fry up for the kids?

Nope - none at all.

If harvest is allowed by law, then it's a personal choice whether you care to keep fish. Like you, I don't harvest wild trout as a general rule (or any bass - they're pretty much all wild and slow growing).....but I do enjoy eating fish and I keep some stocked trout every year. Although you live "upstate" where waters are colder, it's worth remembering that many of PA's streams and rivers get too warm for trout to survive the summer anyway. You might as well eat 'em - that's what they're stocked for.
Regarding a fish fry - you should be aware that there are some consumption guidelines for fishes caught by anglers in PA that recommend that you limit how many you eat per day or week. This is due to (minor) contamination with PCBs. These consumption guidelines can be seen on the PFBC website.

I haven't kept a trout in years. However, I just joined a fish and game association. It's just down the road from me and they have a lake with nice sized bass and stocked trout. I imagine I will be keeping a few trout.

I caught one last summer while bass fishing in a warm water stream. I guess there was a little spring or something under this log keeping him cool enough to surive because the water was WARM. He took a black bugger, barely fought, and was belly up by the time I brought him to hand.

Tasted good with some homemade dill mayo and sauteeing him in some butter and garlic though.

Besides that, I'll only keep a flounder or kingfish here or there from the surf in the summer. Always C&R trout whenever possible.

i like to grill mine. I keep maybe 4 or 5 a year. Just don't let them get freezer burnt and wasted. Go catch some, no reason not to keep them.

I like to put mine in foil with butter.
plase a few onion slices inside with olives and tomatoes
add a bit of minced garlic.
salt and pepper.

Not much on lemon and fish but a lot of guys like them.

The big question is how to fillet/clean the fish...I've only ever done it one way, but I watched hundreds of youtube clips on all I got was more confused!

I haven't harvested a trout in many years, but the next time I do, it/they will be wild and I will not feel the least bit guilty. Just be reasonable and don't waste them.

bigslackwater wrote:
The big question is how to fillet/clean the fish...I've only ever done it one way, but I watched hundreds of youtube clips on all I got was more confused!

Maybe I can help you?

Most important, put the trout on old newspaper. Use a electric fillet knife (I like those new Rapala knives the best) and after you fillet the fish, then skin it.

Now, toss the trout in a trash-can and eat the newspaper! You can broil the paper for about ten mins. If the newspaper starts to burn, just put a little water on to put the fire out!

Yummie!

what I do; 12 year old she keeps her fish and she loves to brag with stockies. the stream behind the cabin we release all natives. with the baby all stockies come home for friends and family. same with salt water keep what you will eat.

While I love fishing for trout as my favorite species I hate the way they taste. So I dont keep them. That being said, if its legal its your decision.

I think a lot of stockies are in water that is incapable of holding and supporting trout all year so I would rather they go to the dinner table then float belly up down the stream.

If it can hold trout year round I would highly encourage C and R as I have fished several "hold over" waters nationally and the trout fishing is outstanding.

I just wonder how many stockies die because they have been caught over and over again and now refuse to eat?
It is better to catch and eat stockies when approaching the summer months because of warm water conditions. When they stock in the fall - catch and release should be for all. :lol: I enjoy eating crappie more than any warm water fish. Bass are good as well.
Cooking preference: I will use parsley, celery salt, butter and a splash of lemon/lime and cook it over charcoal.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
I just wonder how many stockies die because they have been caught over and over again and now refuse to eat?

On stocked streams that have both delayed harvest areas and "general" regulation areas, you can see that C&R really does work.

I agree with what everyone has already said. I feel if you take it eat it, if not leave them for someone else to catch. Nothing angers me more than a buddy of mine that keeps tons of fish each year eating most but throwing away a good bit too from freezer burn. Same goes for the guys that shoot 2-3 doe and throw away the meat after the meat goes bad

Jack M wrote:
I haven't harvested a trout in many years, but the next time I do, it/they will be wild and I will not feel the least bit guilty. Just be reasonable and don't waste them.

I've been tellin myself this for years now. Not just wild, but natives like in my youth. I just seem to keep finding some kind of excuse not to everyime the opportunity comes up.

Always C&R. When I was 14 caught a huge LM bass. I kept that. It was 40 yrs ago.

I generally only keep stocked trout on opening day - it's kind of a tradition. Also the way they stock the local streams there's no way all those trout are going to survive.

I generally release all other fish I catch, expecially the local wild trout. I will occasionally keep stockies in early summer, since I know they're probably not going to make it thorough the season anyway.

I guess if I were on a stream that I knew had a really healthy wild trout population, I would keep the occasional wild trout too. The streams that have wild trout in my area tend to have pretty weak populations, so I'd feel bad about taking one.

I really wouldn't judge someone who regularly keeps their limit of stocked trout though - they're stocked there so that people can catch them and eat them if they want to! Just as long as they're not wasteful.

I have not kept a trout for over 25 years. I usually fish barbless. I am sure I have unintentionally killed some fish over the years, but I try to keep it to the bare minimum. I have no problem with others keeping their fish. That being said, when I did harvest my trout there was nothing like trout and eggs for breakfast. The trout sauteed in butter with just a squeeze of lemon, a little parsley in the cavity of the fish, cooked head on. On the other hand 25 years is a long time ......... Hmmmm?

I'm eating some in the spring. Fried...

I reforthlease everything unless it gets damaged while catching(which is very rare)
I am,however, considering keeping a few small panfish .
I have an empty 75 gallon aquarium that needs to be filled and use, and would be great for the kids.

PennypackFlyer wrote:

If they stopped eating because they'd been caught, that would make them smarter than almost every wild fish in Spring Creek.

Back