Stocked Palominos

mute

mute

Any advice on catching stocked pallies, ive observed some of the local fisherman, only thing ive seen was a Spinfisherman nail them on wax worms.

I've caught them on tiny hare's ear nymphs.

I also got a 23'' pally on a fire red san juan worm last year in french creek.

If you are seeing them caught on wax worms, why not tie a wax worm fly? That's the most fun part about fly fishing.... matching the "hatch" :p

Streamers work for me. Spotted one a few years back holding on the opposite bank. Tried a dry, the fish didn't flinch. Tried a nymph, again no movement. Tied on a muddler, and first cast whammo, fish on!

beeber

They can't resist eggs. Try blue and red eggs.

Thats one of two (common) trout I have never caught. The other is a lake trout.

i never understood the fascination w/ palamino. I think they are kind of freaky looking. I half expect them to have red eyes like lab rats.

I've caught them on streamers, nymphs and dry flies, I have no preference. Once when fishing the LL with a young woman, back when I was young, she left a sulphur drag in the water near one of the gabbions and out of no where she hooked and landed a rather large golden rainbow while I was talking to someone who happened bye. We were astonished cause we never saw it lying there.
BTW they are being called golden rainbows now by PFBC, they are a color morph of a true rainbow.

I caught this beauty March 9th on Yellow Creek in Bedford County.

It took a beadhead stonefly nymph.

Its my only palomino on a fly.

YellCrk09Mar2007002.jpg

thats awesome, thanks for the replies

Last year on opening day i caught about an 18 incher on my first cast using a pink egg on the perkiomen. Caught about a 23 incher on a stonefly a few years back and caught a few smaller ones on the tully using san juans.

I've never seen one on the tully. Do they put them in the special regs section?

The first week pallet flies (if you use those things) after that eggs (color of choice, brighter the better).

Joe E

What's a pallet fly?

It is made by spinning deer hair and cut to look like fish food.

Joe E

Wulff-Man wrote:
What's a pallet fly?

They are a bit cumbersome to cast, but quite effective.

HAHA! Man, Jack, you are fast with that photo-shop! What kind of rod do you need, like a 40-weight?

I was picturing it a bit smaller, maybe a size 12, with some little glow bugs stacked on top of it.

Thanks for your reply, JoeE. See what just one wrong letter can do? :-D

jayL wrote:
I've never seen one on the tully. Do they put them in the special regs section?

Above the dam on that section of the tully, it was when all those fish got out of the hatchery when the stream flooded.

Ah. Thanks. I've never fished above the lake before.

Still chasing the elusive palomino, huh mute? Where have you been the last few months? You really HAVE gone mute. :-D

Haha wulff, yea....well a bunch were just stocked so its my best bet on saturday to have a bunch of them at my finger tips.

Back