Stocked Palominos

They, more than any other fish, seem to just arbitrarily take a fly after you show it to them a few hundred times. I fished over a hog last spring for a few hours with the same flies, and one time I just felt that spooky "set the hook" feeling. There he was... slurped the san juan worm right down. Who knows what it was that triggered me to strike, as the indicator didn't move and I couldn't see the fly.

I've seen them eat bait and spit it hundreds of times when the spin fisherman were complaining that they weren't biting. They are just real finicky, wary, and quick to reject something.

Well I have caughten most of mine on egg flies also. Sucker Spawn seem to work well on palominos. Rainbows in general like egg patterns and a palomino is basically a genetic freak of a rainbow. If you find a palomino you know there's usually other fish around it. I caught several other big fish while fishing around the palominos. The one stream I fish on opening day has a lot of palominos in it especially this year. The water was over flood stage 2 or so times since the fish were stocked so I know the fish have moved a great deal since they were stocked. A few days before the opener I'm going to drive around and try to see where all the fish are at by looking for the palominos. You find some glowing holes and you know there's gota be other fish there too.

Back