Stocked or wild, you decide!

The tail fins on all 3 of the OPs fish are shredded and dull colored. There's no need to look any farther than that imo. Nothing to do with gene introgression or genetically determined spot patterns. Tail fins give it away.

The tail fins on all 3 of the OPs fish are shredded and dull colored. There's no need to look any farther than that imo. Nothing to do with gene introgression or genetically determined spot patterns. Tail fins give it away.
Oh yea i wasn’t saying phenotype had anything to do with genotype, i was just saying introgression is the concern if they are stocking on native fish with hatchery brookies.

the anticipation is killing me for miller to "shed some light".....posts like this remind me of why i dont spend as much time on here as i used to

All of them are fairly obvious Stockers. On the nicer end of the spectrum for stocked fish, but clearly Stockers IMO.

I’m curious to know where from to. Depending on where, they’re lucky you caught them and not I. If they’re in a relatively clean watershed, with wild fish present, and harvest is allowed in the given stream section, I woulda bonked them and gave them a bath in 350 deg peanut oil.

Pat - I’d lean wild on your fish, but not 100% sure. 70% confidence.

Last edited:
the anticipation is killing me for miller to "shed some light".....posts like this remind me of why i dont spend as much time on here as i used to

I only said that so I could string you along a bit...:p

These fish were caught in a Class A wild brown trout stream in Berks County near a large urban center. I'll let someone else mention the name, so I don't get accused of "spot burning". I reached out to Mike about this and he was able to corroborate that they were in fact stocked fish. Evidently there is a "grandfathered" fishing derby that is allowed on this stream and this is where these fish came from. I was honestly taken back when I started catching these fish over a good length of the stream, as it has historically been a wild brown stream.

Haha, yeah, I had the same experience there once. Where'd these fish come from? Fishing in between women jogging, bikers, people letting their dogs swim in the best holes, etc.

I only said that so I could string you along a bit...:p

These fish were caught in a Class A wild brown trout stream in Berks County near a large urban center. I'll let someone else mention the name, so I don't get accused of "spot burning". I reached out to Mike about this and he was able to corroborate that they were in fact stocked fish. Evidently there is a "grandfathered" fishing derby that is allowed on this stream and this is where these fish came from. I was honestly taken back when I started catching these fish over a good length of the stream, as it has historically been a wild brown stream.
Totally not my guess! I was thinking another creek or two in SEPA. The one below came out of a SEPA freestoner that feeds a Class A wild brown trout crick. I had to send it to Mike for some intel because fins were certainly rough at one time and had regrown, but the colors were pretty lovely. Club stocker it seems.

20200425_115501-COLLAGE.jpg

Haha, yeah, I had the same experience there once. Where'd these fish come from? Fishing in between women jogging, bikers, people letting their dogs swim in the best holes, etc.

I'm not gonna lie, the joggers can be VERY distracting! 🔥

I'm not gonna lie, the joggers can be VERY distracting! 🔥
Pretty sure I met you on that stream the other day. We had a conversation about them. Caught a wild brown just after you left but upstream about 100 yds. Best to refrain from spot burning any creek now days due to the intense pressure they've been receiving.

Pretty sure I met you on that stream the other day. We had a conversation about them. Caught a wild brown just after you left but upstream about 100 yds. Best to refrain from spot burning any creek now days due to the intense pressure they've been receiving.

Yesssir! That was me up by the wall where you were fishing and we had the conversation. Hope this thread sheds some light on where these brookies came from. Nice to see you on the forum!

I've been hanging around here for some time, years actually, I just never joined until last year. I'm guessing the brookies were put in there by a local co-op, they do stock the other creek we discussed, or for the kids trout rodeo. Like I told you, that water has been brown trout water for decades. Might have to do some asking around.

Back