Steelhead swap

A little extra incentive...I'll throw in a bonus fly for the first one to get theirs in...I'm thinking a Thor, but if you have any other suggestions, I'm open to them...

Bead-Head Bugger:

Hook: #6 Streamer
Tail: Purple marabou and 4 strands pearl crystal flash
Body: Purple bugger chenille
Hackle: Purple strung saddle
Weight: lead wire
Bead: 3/16" Hot pink cyclops bead

Attachments

• bugger.jpg
    bugger.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 2
Tight lookin' bugger Jay. The hackling looks really clean. I fish these a lot...they are very effective.

Sniper, I wanted to do Thors but I couldn't find any decent brown hackle on short notice for the collar.

turkey wrote:
Tight lookin' bugger Jay. The hackling looks really clean. I fish these a lot...they are very effective.

Sniper, I wanted to do Thors but I couldn't find any decent brown hackle on short notice for the collar.

Exactly why I'm doing it as the "Reward Fly", I was just going to do whichever one you decided against...I love tying those old hairwings.

thanks turkey, this will only be my first year doing the steelhead thing, and i wasnt sure about patterns...glad you've had some success w/ these.

mine will be in the mail by lunchtime today.

i just finished painting the heads, so they might get out tomorrow afternoon

jay348, your flies have arrived...is the Thor alright, or is there another pattern you'd prefer?

the thor sounds good to me sniper, thanks for the bonus!

Sniper I just finished up my flies. I changed the pattern from chrome candy to my fish candy fry. I'll mail them out tomorrow.

Coal Car (as tied, not the original)

Hook: Steelhead streamer,size 1/0 to size 8 (These are Dai riki 899's in #2)
Thread: 8/0 black UNI thread
Tail: Black hackle fibers
Body: 1/4 Orange Floss, 1/4 Red Floss, 1/2 Black Chenille
Hackle: Black
Wing: Black Krystal Flash and Black Squirrel Tail

This is a traditional western hairwing steelhead fly designed by Randall Kaufmann for fishing the steelhead in the Deschutes River, Oregon. It is an off-shoot of an earlier Kaufmann pattern, the Freight Train, and was designed as a darker fly for overcast days.

The traditional pattern calls for a tail of dyed black squirrel tail, which I omitted in favor of the more popular modern dressing with a black hackle fiber tail. The original pattern also has a rib of silver oval tinsel, but I used my last bit tying the Green Butt Skunks and my local shop is out, so I omitted it. I also added an underwing of Krystal Flash to give the fly a little more flash.

Attachments

• coalcar.jpg
    coalcar.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2
Green Butt Skunk (as tied, not the original)

Hook: Steelhead Streamer, #1/0-8 (these are Dai Riki 899's in #2)
Thread: Black 8/0 UNI Thread
Tail: Red Hackle Barbs
Rib: Small Silver oval tinsel
Butt: Chartreuse Ice Dub
Body: Black Chenille
Hackle: Black
Wing: Pearl Krystal Flash and White Calftail

The Green Butt Skunk is a traditional hairwing steelhead fly and is the most popular fly for western summer steelhead. It is an offshoot of another fly, the Skunk. It's origins are a bit of a mystery, some claiming that it was originated By Wes Drain for fishing the Stillaguamish River in Wasington in the late 1930's, others that it was designed for the North Umpqua in Oregon in the 1940's. What is known for sure is that it is deadly on steelhead everywhere.

The only changes I made from the original were to change the butt from chenille to Ice Dub, to give it a little more flash, added a Krystal Flash underwing (for the same reason), and substituted calf tail for polar bear in the wing, as polar bear is nearly non-existent in today's market.

Also, both of these flies look much better in person, I'm just a terrible photographer, and the only reason I use 8/0 instead of the standard 6/0 is to keep the bulk to a minimum.

Attachments

• greenbuttskunk.jpg
    greenbuttskunk.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 6
I just dropped my flies off at the post office.

mins went out yesterday as well

Going to tie up Psyco prince nymph tonight, will have them in the mail tomorrow.

here they are all ready to be mailed im tossing an extra fly in for you sniper its a slump bunny tied on a jig head let me know how it works the pattern goes as follows :
hook #6 mustad salmon hook
thread red gsp
tail vertical cut rabbit strip
body cross cut rabbit strip palmered forward
egg mostly estaz but i did tie one with pearl diamonD braid a few with plain old glo bug yarn (ill never do that again P.I.T.A)
and a few with mcfly foam
hope you all enjoy them

Attachments

• bunnies.jpg
    bunnies.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 3
Sending these out today. Here is hoping my mailman does not like steelhead fishing.

Attachments

• Psycho prince.jpg
    Psycho prince.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Psyco prince 1.jpg
    Psyco prince 1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 3
Mine will be finished today and mailed out tomorrow...

Boss

Done. Mine will be in asap.

Sbecker nice looking flies.

Back