Stainless or Corroded Steel Hooks?

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

I read this: "Mortality by swallowing hooks is mostly caused by the handling stress and damage resulting from removing the hook from the gut or throat. The best course of action when a fish is gut-hooked is to leave the hook and cut the line as soon as possible. Hooks will then be encapsulated or evacuated from the body. Use of non corroding steel is not recommended because a corroding hook will be easier to for the fish to expel."

It seems to me that most of the hooks sold by Orvis are stainless is this correct?

I bougt some off them on a special offer where you get a fly wallet and a bunch of nymphs for $9.95 and they all looked like they were stanless and they were all barbless.

fadeaway263 wrote:
I read this: "Mortality by swallowing hooks is mostly caused by the handling stress and damage resulting from removing the hook from the gut or throat. The best course of action when a fish is gut-hooked is to leave the hook and cut the line as soon as possible. Hooks will then be encapsulated or evacuated from the body. Use of non corroding steel is not recommended because a corroding hook will be easier to for the fish to expel."

It seems to me that most of the hooks sold by Orvis are stainless is this correct?

No. Stainless is typically only used in saltwater applications.

The ones from Orvice, if they aren't stainless than they must be coated with nickle or something because they are silver colored, so are Cabelas fly tying hooks.

I got to believe a trout gut hooked is toast. Other fish that are tuffer may live.

Mustad definitely rust, corrode, etc.

From what I'm lead to understand, stainless hooks are usually just coated and will rust eventually, anyways.

Clip it off, leave it in there. Plenty of people have had various things left inside them after surgery, and they lived just fine too.

tell me about it there gfen.......lots of junk in me now, i'm rusting too....lol

Hooks can be coated with all kinds of finishes, doesn't make them rust proof. I have gold, nickel, blackened, and stainless hooks all rust or work out in time..

sandfly wrote:
tell me about it there gfen.......lots of junk in me now, i'm rusting too....lol

You should be so lucky if they leave a couple sponges in your gut, pay for your retirement to NC without having to torch the shop and bank an insurance payment.

As the idea man, I'd like a 2% royalty.

I think they left a straightened wire coat hanger in me...oh wait thats just normal.....I do have a clinking sound now might be a few marbles in there...

Regarding these "Orvis" hooks that Fade and Buffalo are talking about, are these on their flies they sell in the shop/online or they the hooks for tying? I have plenty of packs of various Orvis brand hooks and they are standard dark bronzed colors. Why would they tie flies on stainless colored hooks? Aren't we trying to hide that thing a bit?

jdaddy wrote:
Regarding these "Orvis" hooks that Fade and Buffalo are talking about, are these on their flies they sell in the shop/online or they the hooks for tying? I have plenty of packs of various Orvis brand hooks and they are standard dark bronzed colors. Why would they tie flies on stainless colored hooks? Aren't we trying to hide that thing a bit?

Did you ever see that offer Orvis had with the nymph selection and fleece fly wallet for $9.95. Thats where I got the flies already tied. I usualy don't buy flies. The ones from Cabelas I bought were dry fly hooks, 02 and 21 in diferent sizes.

Your right about trying to hide it. As soon as I saw it, it bothered me. Maybe the extra flash will get the fishes attension.

why hide it when you are adding a big gold head as in bead head, doesn't make a difference to the fish. to them a hook is probably another appendage.

Great strides have been made in hooks lately as far as rust proofing.We anglers get a little upset when hooks rust on us so most makers have a dip process for their non-stainless lines.
The black hooks still rust but I have found non of the bright silver or gray that do down here in the salt.
However these aren't fly tying hooks.

I am in the collision repair automotive field...stainless steel will even rust eventually but just takes longer. Also the more salt the quicker it will rust hense why salt water hooks are often stainless. One way to tell is stick a magnet to it. True stainless steel will not sick to a magnet.

i don't believe i have ever gut-hooked a trout on a fly. does this actually happen to people?

Only when I've impaled a worm on the end of my fly.

Back