Spring Creek Early Novenber

salmo

salmo

I'm thinking of fishing in the Penn State area around November 9-11. I plan to hit Spring Creek as well as a few brookie creeks. What should I be throwing that time of the year and is there any stretch of water that might be fishing better than the rest at that time of year? Thanks in advance to all who post.

Walt's worm, scuds, and small pt are all you really need. Any stretch will fish well, I like at benner though.

Pretty sure there is a Penn State home game that weekend. There area may be a little crowded.

Also egg patterns. That will be in middle of the spawning period.

Yep. You are quite right. I didn’t consider that.

Tiogadog wrote:
Pretty sure there is a Penn State home game that weekend. There area may be a little crowded.

Probably less crowded on the stream on a home game Saturday.. Might be more folks on the stream Friday and Sunday, though.

I really like Yellow Sucker Spawn #14 and Golden Retrievers #8 for down below. Keep an eye out for BWO's and always carry black/gray midges #20-24 as there are always fish taking those. Griffiths Gnats in the same size range are also good to have.

salmonoid wrote:
Tiogadog wrote:

Probably less crowded on the stream on a home game Saturday.. Might be more folks on the stream Friday and Sunday, though.

We were just up for the Ohio State game. Game day, no one on the stream.

The trout will be spawning then. Avoid spawning trout and don't step on redds.

Ah, come on man, go hike around one of the forests or just hit a stocked stream, don't even give the fish any pressure while they are reproducing our streams. Or, just fish with your eyes and exhibit their awesome behavior. The way the weather's been, I'd be willing to bet that brookies will be spawning then as well. I hate to sound like a curmudgeon, but if we only have to give up the rod for a few months for the greater good of our streams, it's really not that big of a deal.

It's Spring Creek. It'll be fine. Decades of intense fishing pressure and it's still cranking out fish like crazy. If it was a creek with low fish numbers and large average size, we might be in agreement to not fish it.

Sorry, but I don't want to be labeled a Redd Raper, so I'm going to just leave the spawners alone and hit a stocked stream. Several special reg areas were just stocked last week.

Wild_Trouter wrote:
Sorry, but I don't want to be labeled a Redd Raper, so I'm going to just leave the spawners alone and hit a stocked stream. Several special reg areas were just stocked last week.

What are you sorry about?

I agree with t/b.: What are you sorry about.

Anyhow, IMO, it's all right to fish during the spawn if you do not fish over fish on their redds and if you are careful not to tramp on or otherwise disturb the redds. I know at least one stream that has BWO's hatching during the spawn, and I figure the risers are not spawning.

I also know another unstocked stream that has a nice pop. of trout where I have only ever seen a half-dozen redds total over many years. I guess flamingos drop the trout into this stream.

Sorry was used in the context that I disagree with fishing over spawning trout. I personally don't do it, but recognize the fact that absent a closed season, it is perfectly permissible for one to do so. There are plenty of other places to fish this time of year, so it is a non-issue for me.

if you listen to the beliefs of every angler you can't fish in the spring when the rainbows are spawning, you can't fish in the summer because it's to hot and you can't fish in the fall because the browns and brookies are spawning and of course you have to allow for a proper recovery time to pass. If fall trout fishing were that detrimental it would be a closed season. Fish where you want and enjoy this great resource with no regrets, just be mindful of your steps.

Amen.

Throw in the days that the water is far too high and the days that life obligations keep you from fishing and it can quickly become a scant few days on the water.

Back