Some Tying Questions to Get Me Started ...

Thanks guys

Mike .. I've been dubbing from back to front but then just a quick wrap to secure it and not sure why. Will just tie off @ end! Thanks again .. much appreciated

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Thanks guys

Mike .. I've been dubbing from back to front but then just a quick wrap to secure it and not sure why. Will just tie off @ end! Thanks again .. much appreciated
Ah, so you are counter wrapping over the dubbing. That's not necessary, but if you want to do it you could try leaving a long tag of thread at the back and then winding forward over the body. You are doing great. It takes time to develop the techniques to make the process simpler and at the same time make the fly durable. The good news is that those techniques get used on most patterns, so eventually your just learning to work with different materials.
Mike.

It sounds like these guys have you pointed in the right direction.

The reason your thread might be breaking is it's contacting the hook point as you wrap the thread. It looked to have loose strands on the one picture.

One of the best pieces of fly tying advice I have received is that you can always add more dubbing.

Stags,
I sometimes find that the spool had been against the palm of my hand when the thread has broken. I've been very careful to relax my hand, so the spool can rotate in the bobbin only as freely as the bobbin will allow.

RCFetter wrote:

Stags, I'm in the same boat. Many years ago I inherited from my uncle a nice collection of tying tools and a vice. This year I decided to give it a go and yesterday at the show I bought the materials to start with Wooly Buggers. I'm basing it on this video.

My first goal is to practice the whip finish knot.

Also, consider the free lessons at Orvis in Plymouth Meeting. They are being held on Sat. 10am to 12pm - Feb 1, 8, 15 & 22.

RC .. how is ur tying going? I'm having some good, bad and ugly :lol:. Some frustration but staying cool none the less :cool:

Here is some of my 'art'

Hooks and Beads ….

I’m sticking to a few basic patterns for now and seem to be OK with materials for what I’m tying. When I need em I'll post …

But I need hooks and beads.

Tried tying small scuds per a video but not happening right now and it was just too tough for me at this stage … not really ready so we can go light on those so I have them a month or 2 down the line …

Not sure what size I’ve been tying but considering not to small what size and type of hooks do u guys think I need. I've been concentrating on a few patterns and will move on to the popular PT, HE, Prince, etc Also as spring is upon us I expect to try tying the popular Eastern PA dry’s and some beetle’s & ants … should be more than enough to keep me busy in the tying arena

Since the closest thing to a Fly Shop to me is ****s I’m gonna make an order to keep me going for awhile and I’m thinking of Allens …. Just think its important to support the sponsors of the board and a few gents have spoke highly of their hooks.

What am I ordering (lol)?

Get these in size 14 and 16 for dries. http://www.allenflyfishing.com/d103s-dry-fly-nymph-1xl-straight-eye/

Get these for nymphs in size 14 and 16.
http://www.allenflyfishing.com/w502-wet-fly-nymph/

Get these beads in 2.8mm in either gold or black.
http://www.allenflyfishing.com/brass-ball-beads/

You can tie a ton of flies with that assortment.

Stagger_Lee wrote:

RC .. how is ur tying going? I'm having some good, bad and ugly :lol:. Some frustration but staying cool none the less :cool:

Here is some of my 'art'

Hi Stags and thanks for asking.

I'm just getting started and as noted in the other thread my first goal was to learn the whip finish knot (3 days - about 20 min per day). This morning I did a fairly decent olive wooly bugger but as with the whip finish I'm tying on a size 2 hook just to get familiar with with routine. I'm anal like that.

The only problem I'm having is tying the thread over the hackle. I'm smashing down too much of the hackle.

I have a decent set up. All of my fly tying stuff is in a large tackle box on the floor. My laptop with video instructions on the screen is on my desk. My vise is on my desk between me and the pc screen. I have a bottle of Jameson nearby to deal with frustration.

Edit: Is it ok to hit the Jameson prior to getting frustrated?

Absolutely...

RCFetter wrote:

Edit: Is it ok to hit the Jameson prior to getting frustrated?

Maker's Mark works better for dry flies...

Stagger - Tip on the dubbing from Adam at A&G Outfitters when he was teaching a class they gave. "Take up your dubbing and put at least half of it back. Then start to twist it onto the thread."

It is amazing how little you really need. And it is a lot easier to add a little more than to get it off.

Yea DJ ... that seems to be the consensus and I am/was decadently overdoing it. Few new techniques told to me so I hope to try them this week.

RJ it's OK :pint: tho I'm bias to Maccallan or Basil and Haydens which I would recommend to JT. Haven't bought another bottle of Maker's since a buddy turned me onto it. It will be nice when we r no-longer frustrated and can just enjoy the tie and a beer lol

I agree with a lot of what was said on the subject but disagree with a portion of what Brookie Chaser said.

in part..."You can never have enough fly tying materials. I always find a new pattern or new style and have to buy different supplies."

I am responding a little tong in check but "I HAVE TOO MUCH MATERIAL". I have duplicates of new packages of dubbing material for example. I guess it's easier to buy some stuff then to try and find it in a sea of bins/drawers. But, it seems you "always need new stuff".

I think it would be a great idea if we could all peruse each others "excess capacity" materials and trade it for the NEW stuff we need to tie that new pattern.

MD_Gene wrote:

I have duplicates of new packages of dubbing material for example. I guess it's easier to buy some stuff then to try and find it in a sea of bins/drawers.

Organization, it's a wonderful thing. :roll:

And speaking of organization I have spent about 8 to 10 hours going through all of my flies and putting them in small fly boxes (small - I mean ones with 4 leafs 7 inches by 4.5 inches by 2 inches. I moved them from the large compartment boxes (14" by 10" by 1.5").

Anyway, it's a chore I should have to do just once. After that, I should have access to all of my flies on trips AND see when I need to tie more of a pattern.

Back