Some Tying Questions to Get Me Started ...

Def buying a threader ... abt 30 mins in and the thread will not go all the way thru ...

Stagger_Lee wrote:

Seriously ... I think my eyes need to be checked but urgg.

You don't use one to thread? The lead was easy to get thru but this is causing me all sought's of trouble...

I just start the thread into the bobbin, get myself some slack and suck real quick on the other end. Yeah, I know this is going to open up a whole can of worms. :) Actually, I view this process as an aerobic exercise. It usually draws right through on the first or second try. Ceramic bobbins are even more challenging but I still own a lot of old style bobbins. Sometimes when you do this the thread gets wrapped around the side of the bobbin. If this happens don't unthread it, just pop the spool out of the bobbin and unwrap it. I honestly have never even threaded lead through a bobbin. I have always done all of my lead wrapping by hand. I am sort of old school on a lot of things, but it is what it is. Good luck with your tying!

dc410 wrote:
I just start the thread into the bobbin, get myself some slack and suck real quick on the other end. Yeah, I know this is going to open up a whole can of worms. :)

This is why I used the word "inhale" in my post above. ;-)

Yeah, get a threader.

Get a whip finish tool too, it makes finishing flies so much quicker and easier, not to mention you make better flies.

I'd consider both tools to be necessities, combined with the vice and the bobbins. All other tools are not necessary, but can be nice, and you'll figure out what you want and need as time goes on.

I inhaled originally but then I did a double loop (with a twist) and inhaled after I read HA's post, forgot a bead but my 1st finished product ...

4917b86d23_zps4ef19d16.jpg

Attachments

• .jpg
    .jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 5
I do and always will do what HA has suggested, for me it is easier and cooler than using a threader.

We'll see Pcray. I think I went a lil heavy on the thread in the middle but looks ok :-o I think??? Gonna tie a few more this week and not forget beads. I have such cabin fever but its warming up and I’m gonna tie a few more this week. I might be tempted to take a 1/2 day on friday, head out and fish with a few of my fly’s exclusively.

On a side note .. there is a thread in the main forum abt what makes PAFF unique, good, etc … any newbie/new poster reading this just take notice at all the knowledge and genuine help from good people. Posted this 2+ days ago after 2 members from this board walked me thru the FF show …. I’ve also had PM’s, emails, etc .. people just wanting to help a mope like me get started.

Sweet!

Congratulations, buddy.

Fish will line to hit that.

Yep, nice and buggie. Very good Stag. Get a bobbin threader it takes about five seconds and you're done.

Wait till you get your first fish on a fly you tied yourself!

Looks good to me, Andrew. Get out there and put it in front of the real critics (fish).

Dave

mario66pens wrote:
I do and always will do what HA has suggested, for me it is easier and cooler than using a threader.

^This.

I guess I'm old skool.

Stagger, I'm sure that will catch fish.

The first fly my Dad taught me to tie was a muskrat nymph.

I've never seen a noticeable difference in quality from hook manufacturers. I mainly use Tiemco or Diachi, because that's what my fly shop carries.

Always good to see a new enthusiastic tyer.
You can make a bobbin threader. Take 8 inches or so of your thickest leader material. Fold it in half and use a pair of pliers to crimp the bend and form a point. Tape the free ends together, or get fancy and tape them to a stick. If you use the heaviest mono that will fit in your bobbin tube, it has the added benefit of cleaning wax and other gunk from the tube every time you use it.
Mike.

^^Pro tip of the day^^ :-D

Also ... How much lead wire and what sizes for the basic flies?

What color thread do i need?

muchas gracias

Nice tie... that'll catch some fish.
Agree with HA on the hair stacker and whip finisher... also agree on the suck it through method (just make sure the end of the thread is a clean cut).

Here's a really good series on fly tying that shows many different patterns, but also does a great job of showing different techniques...
http://www.kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx

Starting thread ... I would recommend size 6/0 in black, yellow, and olive. You can branch out from there into different sizes / colors as needed.

Back