Snakeheads in Blue Marsh

Check what I wrote. I never used the word eradicate nor would I when it comes to invasive species. Suppress is typically the best that one can do with invasives, but in this case the improved survival of lake trout to age 2 and the related bump up in abundance may mean that the impact of LT suppression on CT may be short lived without continued gill netting, which has so far substantially reduced the abundance of age 6 and older LT. The effort has been tremendous though, as it has been going on since 1995.

“Electrofish (snakeheads) out of a large system” did not mean eradicate; it meant capture enough in such a large system to make any kind of difference (measurably suppress if you like that term) at the population level. They are not easily electrofished, especially in a large system. Even in the pond in Philly, where they first appeared in Pa, they were difficult to capture via trap nets and electrofishing. Anglers were more effective in that case. Plus, upon investigation regarding the expected effectiveness of rotenone there, it would have been highly unlikely to have had any lasting effect because of the physical complexity of the ponds and the attached waterways. There were many places for fish to hide.

Check what I wrote. I never used the word eradicate nor would I when it comes to invasive species. Suppress is typically the best that one can do with invasives, but in this case the improved survival of lake trout to age 2 and the related bump up in abundance may mean that the impact of LT suppression on CT may be short lived without continued gill netting, which has so far substantially reduced the abundance of age 6 and older LT. The effort has been tremendous though, as it has been going on since 1995.

“Electrofish (snakeheads) out of a large system” did not mean eradicate; it meant capture enough in such a large system to make any kind of difference (measurably suppress if you like that term) at the population level. They are not easily electrofished, especially in a large system. Even in the pond in Philly, where they first appeared in Pa, they were difficult to capture via trap nets and electrofishing. Anglers were more effective in that case. Plus, upon investigation regarding the expected effectiveness of rotenone there, it would have been highly unlikely to have had any lasting effect because of the physical complexity of the ponds and the attached waterways. There were many places for fish to hide.
Considering they like shallow areas with dense vegetation and are relatively consistent in location in absence of large rain fall events would you not be able to target concentrated areas more likely to have a higher density of snake heads in the lower Susquehanna. I think some organizations are tagging them as well no? Could this data not be used to concentrate e fishing efforts? And why does it need to have a lasting effect after electro shocking is done? Your feeding the homeless in perpetuity due to the techniques inability to eradicate. I imagine that would open up some unique funding sources for any such sustained efforts. What about commercial efforts? You know more about the effectiveness of electrofishing in different situations than I do obviously mike but i’m seeing it listed as a viable control technique in literature and I am wondering if you and I ate looking at two different sets of expectations and goals.

Here is what I found on the PFBC site about what to do when a snakehead is caught anywhere in PA >

SH Warning

Also report any snakehead catch to the PFBC, especially in waterways where their presence is not known.

Test Test just trying a new way to post photos . Afish I post that pic already

Hey Fred, I posted the PA warning about snakeheads above and below I checked out the MD and VA fishery agency sites. What do you know that the expert fisheries biologists don't know about snakeheads?

Maryland DNR:

"We actively encourage the targeting and harvest of every snakehead caught. Should snakehead be treated like other sportfish with seasons and limits? No. Snakeheads are an invasive species that can negatively impact native fishes here and across the country. Because of ongoing research, the department, along with its many colleagues, continue to categorize the fish as invasive, nuisance or injurious."

Virginia DWR:

"The Department has membership on the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s National Snakehead Control and Management Plan (SCMP) Work Group. This group assembled and submitted recommendations to the U. S. Congress.

What kind of impact could a snakehead population have in Virginia?

Exotic species like snakeheads can disrupt natural aquatic systems and may have significant impacts by feeding on and competing with native and/or naturalized fishes. In addition, they may transmit parasites and diseases to native wildlife in those systems.

Do we have to be concerned about snakehead fish appearing in other waters in Virginia?

Yes. While snakeheads are freshwater fish, it has been determined that they can tolerate a fairly high level of salinity (this is especially true for juveniles with lower water temperatures). They may be able to colonize additional drainages through extreme storm events riding freshets or by illegal introductions.

Are snakehead fish dangerous?

While northern snakeheads do not attack humans or small pets, they may present threats to our native and/or naturalized wildlife and ecosystems."

Hey Fred, I posted the PA warning about snakeheads above and below I checked out the MD and VA fishery agency sites. What do you know that the expert fisheries biologists don't know about snakeheads?

Maryland DNR:

"We actively encourage the targeting and harvest of every snakehead caught. Should snakehead be treated like other sportfish with seasons and limits? No. Snakeheads are an invasive species that can negatively impact native fishes here and across the country. Because of ongoing research, the department, along with its many colleagues, continue to categorize the fish as invasive, nuisance or injurious."

Virginia DWR:

"The Department has membership on the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s National Snakehead Control and Management Plan (SCMP) Work Group. This group assembled and submitted recommendations to the U. S. Congress.

What kind of impact could a snakehead population have in Virginia?

Exotic species like snakeheads can disrupt natural aquatic systems and may have significant impacts by feeding on and competing with native and/or naturalized fishes. In addition, they may transmit parasites and diseases to native wildlife in those systems.

Do we have to be concerned about snakehead fish appearing in other waters in Virginia?

Yes. While snakeheads are freshwater fish, it has been determined that they can tolerate a fairly high level of salinity (this is especially true for juveniles with lower water temperatures). They may be able to colonize additional drainages through extreme storm events riding freshets or by illegal introductions.

Are snakehead fish dangerous?

While northern snakeheads do not attack humans or small pets, they may present threats to our native and/or naturalized wildlife and ecosystems."
You see that photo in the bottom right of this screenshot. Look familiar? Posted it already like I said. I guess the rest,you just ran with on your own . Meme pic was a test that’s why I wrote test test trying a new way to post photos.

Attachments

• 200C5CA6-5F83-41D9-8226-13E1FAE16935.png
    200C5CA6-5F83-41D9-8226-13E1FAE16935.png
    449.3 KB · Views: 32
Fred for president! Great job dodging that question. Sure to get elected.😆

Back