Snakeheads are coming

Back to Lake Redman, there have been a few catches reported now. In the Lake Ontelaunee case, all fish have been small so far.

Mike wrote:
Back to Lake Redman, there have been a few catches reported now. In the Lake Ontelaunee case, all fish have been small so far.

I think it's ABSOLUTLELY RIDICULOUS that we have poophead anglers stocking lakes and rivers with an invasive species because they get their jollies off both fishing for them and getting away with doing something illegal.

afishinado wrote:
Mike wrote:

I think it's ABSOLUTLELY RIDICULOUS that we have poophead anglers stocking lakes and rivers with an invasive species because they get their jollies off both fishing for them and getting away with doing something illegal.

Looks like Redman dumps into the Codorus ?

290 acre Redman discharges directly into 220 acre Lake Williams, so those who introduced the fish got a two for one with this introduction. Williams discharges to the East Branch Codorus, which then flows into the S Br Codorus about a mile downstream. The South Branch flows into Codorus Ck upstream from West York. The Codorus flows into the Susquehanna roughly half way between York Haven Dam and Rt 30.

There is really no need to talk about the snakeheads eventually ascending the Safe Harbor fish lift once past Holtwood Dam because over time they will probably work their way down from Redman and Williams to the Susky and the impoundment formed by Safe Harbor Dam, known as Lake Clark. They will also work their way upstream to York Haven Dam over time and that dam has a fishway(fish ladder). Then it’s a clear shot to Harrisburg once they work their way through the impoundment formed by York Haven Dam. Now it can be seen that when short-sighted individuals introduce an exotic an entire system of inland waters has the potential to get screwed up.

In the other directions, if they ascend the East Br Codorus from Redman, they are in a stocked trout stream and farther upstream a combined stocked and wild trout stream. I really doubt that they will be attracted by that cold water where the wild trout are located, plus the physical habitat is wrong. The same scenario exists heading upstream on the S Br Codorus except that they would first pass through a warmwater stretch. Heading upstream on the main Codorus would be tougher because of some dams.

Yeah, it is what it is. There is no stopping it. People shouldn't move these fish and people shouldn't embrace others moving them. But, they are going to be widespread. All we can do is watch and observe what happens..

And share recipes.......

Sad but true.

jifigz wrote:
Yeah, it is what it is. There is no stopping it. People shouldn't move these fish and people shouldn't embrace others moving them. But, they are going to be widespread. All we can do is watch and observe what happens..

I have to say I am curious on how they will adapt to the susky and hope they will find their niche in the river like they have in the areas I fish . I'm really hoping they are able to take hold in areas that have very low SMB populations due to poor water quality from pollution and bring back game fishing opportunities to anglers on the lower susky.

Frederick have you gone for pickerel or pike this fall. If so how about some images.

Baron wrote:
Frederick have you gone for pickerel or pike this fall. If so how about some images.

I haven't been out in almost a month I have been taking extra hours at work .

Back