Snakeheads are coming

Fredrick

Fredrick

A good number a snakehead have gotten past the folks at the fish ladder and are making their way into the Pennsylvania part of the Susky .
https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/fish-and-Boat-Commission-Details.aspx?newsid=323

That was only a matter of time. The title to this thread could have been written around 2016 as a predictor.

Willing to bet many of them will continue upstream to wherever the next impediment is. Might be able to capture them there.

Mike wrote:
That was only a matter of time. The title to this thread could have been written around 2016 as a predictor.

I’m just trying to ride along with the sensationalism the Pafbc is peddling to the public with this article.

Fredrick wrote:
Mike wrote:

I’m just trying to ride along with the sensationalism the Pafbc is peddling to the public with this article.

First of all you are not a fisheries biologist, the folks at the PFBC are, plus many states have the same warning about the spread of snakeheads.

Second, no one knows what the result of the introduction of an invasive species is for the long term in any environment.

Just because you like to fish for snakeheads and you perceive no harm being down so far does not mean it won't happen.

Let's hope they find their niche in the environment and their presence in the ecosystem is not a major disruption in the balance of species present.

Never claimed to be a biologist , never heard of anyone complaining about catching one unless they were in a bass tournament . I'm sure they will have less harm on the river than the flatheads or even the Walleye the state stocks . The state should of gave this kind of effort when the flatheads arrived . Instead of requested people dispatch the fish I think they should start doing videos on how to cook the fish. I think that would be more becoming of the PFBC. Telling people to kill a fish without telling them what to do with it is pretty low from a state agency.

And of course I love fishing for snakeheads as well as everyone else will on the Susky in a few years . Whats not to like

First you claim not to be a biologist then you state, and I quote “I'm sure they will have less harm on the river….”. So, you’re not a biologist then you claim, “I’m sure”. No you’re not sure, you don’t know anything more about the snakeheads long term harm to the ecosystem then I do, but I know they don’t belong here and if I catch one I’m killing it and telling every who fishes in Pennsylvania to do the same. If you want to fish for snakeheads go to Maryland.

GeneBeam wrote:
First you claim not to be a biologist then you state, and I quote “I'm sure they will have less harm on the river….”. So, you’re not a biologist then you claim, “I’m sure”. No you’re not sure, you don’t know anything more about the snakeheads long term harm to the ecosystem then I do, but I know they don’t belong here and if I catch one I’m killing it and telling every who fishes in Pennsylvania to do the same. If you want to fish for snakeheads go to Maryland.

Take things to literally much? I can't have an opinion is this not a forum filled with people posting their opinions, sorry mine offended you. Like I said never claimed to be a biologist. Long term you should be more worried about the flatheads and bluecats in the Susky. Or the million gallons of untreated human waste dumped from Hburg when it rains. The PFBC has to date not posted any updated fish consumption advisories for the HBurg area but sure has posted plenty about snakeheads, I guess they are the bigger evil. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the PFBC even posted anything but others have about all the fecal matter around Hburg? I fish for snakeheads 5 minutes from my house in PA or I can go to DE, NJ or even Virginia if I'm feeling tropical, I can go to Florida to. But don't get me wrong MD is a good place to fish for them and I'm told Arkansas is nice this time of year. Asking for a friend but does writing "you should " make you a fishery biologist?

You absolutely correct, like you I’m not biologist but I’m sure that the PA Fish and Boat has a biologist on their staff and I don’t care if you fish for the invasive fish, I just hope you are following the instruction from the PA Fish and Boat as stated in the following link:
https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/PennsylvaniaFishes/Pages/Snakehead.aspx

Maybe we’ll get lucky and the flatheads and the snakeheads will keep each other in check. Oh, I’m not a fisheries biologist either, just an optimist.

I saw a recipe for theSe the other day. I hear they are delicious.

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2020/05/if-you-catch-a-frankenfish-kill-it-pennsylvania-fish-and-boat-commission.html

Aye Aye Captain

Been almost exclusively fishing for snakes lately and honestly there’s not much else like them. Challenging to catch but not musky level hard. Where I’ve been fishing is more a sight fishing game and after the spawn they have become way harder to catch but to see a fish rip alone the top of the water from 6 feet away to eat a frog lure is unreal. Haven’t done any fly fishing for them but one day I’ll give it’s a shot.

As a predator i can say have only once seen them actively eating other fish. Definitely ambush predators. They seem to have crappy eye sight and have small mouths. One spot I fish still has plenty of bass carp and sunfish. They thrive in places with bad water quality bring a new and exciting fish opportunity for anglers. Just a friendly reminder that all those brown and rainbow trout we love some much are also non native. Even your Susquehanna smallmouth bass and largemouth were probably once implants from years ago. What makes them non invasive? Keep them or release where you caught them doesn’t matter to me but killing one just because doesn’t make sense to me.

yhyQsf7.jpg

8SFGi2c.jpg

8HX34Ud.jpg

eA40OtZ.jpg

sS8GnY0.jpg

tydOK87.jpg

Nice catches.... And well said Marcq. Some people just don't get it or don't want to get it because they are fish snobs. If you bring your yak and meet me out sometime I'll show you how to get them on the fly .

I'd love to find some spots to go and bowfish for them - I hear they are tasty and would love to try them. Also... great way to keep the archery skills up and have some fun!

Unfortunately, the only (canal) spot I've caught and seen them, I would NOT eat anything out.

Could this be considered good press for snakeheads ?

https://m.citizensvoice.com/news/fish-commission-wrong-again-on-invasive-species-1.2635914?fbclid=IwAR1UEwNekWZ9WtHv3jMOcf1f6vx3DrNL4lZIaIu6AwBqUHgHS9t6YH_vsJU

I'm not in favor of introducing new species to our waters. I will not lose sleep over any that are established by accident. While Snakehead spread alarms me I am vacationing where they are rampant and I can hardly wait to catch one.

More good press

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/super-bass-aka-snakeheads/378545?utm_source=www.outdoorchannelplus.com&utm_medium=partial_share

Fredrick wrote:
More good press

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/super-bass-aka-snakeheads/378545?utm_source=www.outdoorchannelplus.com&utm_medium=partial_share

Good article with a lot of info on the past history and current state of affairs concerning the snakehead.

But still, no one really knows how the introduction of the snakehead will turn out everywhere.

The one thing I'd like to remind everyone is the snakehead is just starting to inhabit both the Chesapeake Bay and Delaware Bay including the Susquehanna and Delaware rivers upstream.

Those two bays and the rivers above are the major spawning and nursery waters for stripped bass as well american shad. No one knows how the introduction of snakeheads will impact the populations of these native anadromous fishes.

So I wouldn't spike the ball and high five the team just yet, because we are no where near the end zone. I suggest we all cross our fingers and hope that the snakehead will find their own niche and not adversely effect the population of any fish, especially the native ones mentioned above. With that said, they appear to be a worthy game fish, but no one wants them to be the only game in town.

I'm not so sure that snakeheads in our waterways are the "doom and gloom" so many think it is. They were first discovered way back in 2004 and have established themselves firmly in Virginia and Maryland waterways. Have the bass populations crashed in those regions? I don't believe they have. The reality is that they are here and no amount of harvesting them is going to significantly impact their numbers. I've read that they can breed up to five times per year and with each brood, have up to 25,000 fry. That's a lot of fish even if a small number survive. Shutting down fish ladders and trying to spread their northward spread is only a temporary stopgap and it's only a matter of time before they end up in warmwater tribs of the Susky (Conestoga, Juniata, etc.).

On a positive note, they are supposed to be excellent table fare and are a formidable gamefish, so since they're already here, they might as well be used for something. I'm not a harvest guy, but there are plenty of people who do seek these fish for harvest, which at the rate they reproduce isn't a bad thing.

Back