Snakehead warning in the Susky

Snakehead stamp available for purchase in 2024

Slot limit 2025

Catch and release protections 2026
Snakehead conservation hatchery established 2052

Removal of competing Arapaima gigas and reintroduction of snakehead fingerlings 2060

Maybe they'll eat flathead catfish?

Snakehead Unlimited established in 2030 and starts Snakes in the Classroom 2035.

Program wins conservation awards in 2036.
Arguments abound. "But they're a popular sport fish now!!!!!"

VERSUS

whats really intriguing to me about this is the limits of the conowingo pool and prized wild invasive brown trout fishery connected to it(Muddy Creek). This will be the first time I know of that a large limestone influenced brown trout stream will open to snakeheads in the susky drainage. It will be interesting to see what happens to Muddy creek’s lower wild reproduction sections that are very close to the Susquehanna where these fish are found.

Could be nothing or could be dramatic I don’t think anyone has ever studied that.

View attachment 1641231806

VERSUS

View attachment 1641231807
whats really intriguing to me about this is the limits of the conowingo pool and prized wild invasive brown trout fishery connected to it(Muddy Creek). This will be the first time I know of that a large limestone influenced brown trout stream will open to snakeheads in the susky drainage. It will be interesting to see what happens to Muddy creek’s lower wild reproduction sections that are very close to the Susquehanna where these fish are found.

Could be nothing or could be dramatic I don’t think anyone has ever studied that.
I don’t think they negatively impact the areas they inhabit. I catch more largemouth bass by accident while snakehead fishing than when I target LMB. They seem to thrive best in water that no trout would ever be found in. They are here to stay and are going to spread to new locations, it’s what they do. They are a great fish to catch on the fly rod and they taste way better than stocked trout!

I don’t think they negatively impact the areas they inhabit. I catch more largemouth bass by accident while snakehead fishing than when I target LMB. They seem to thrive best in water that no trout would ever be found in. They are here to stay and are going to spread to new locations, it’s what they do. They are a great fish to catch on the fly rod and they taste way better than stocked trout!
The Blackriver area had declines in white perch linked to snakehead. Published by Joseph Love. John Odenkirk, who is not even Boots on ground in that state, tried to claim the trend was happening before snakehead but I spoke with Dr. Love who did the research and surveying in that area and he said that was not accurate. So they likely do have impact but I will agree they really do taste good according to folks and imagine fun to bow fish.

About trout, this is the northern snakehead’s range.

As you can see by their range they are bot afraid of cold water and can be under ice. Spring creeks may provide warmer water in the winter though and will have abundant forage. Also if they deplete their food downstream and there are wild repro+stocked fisheries like muddy creek upstream they might not pass up all that food. Could be no effect or could be a massive one on our cold water ecosystems we don’t know. Dr. Love said he sees no reason they could not effect trout at this point.

View attachment 1641231806

VERSUS

View attachment 1641231807

Could be nothing or could be dramatic I don’t think anyone has ever studied
Check the topography in the lower end of the creek. Snakeheads aren’t going to be swimming up Muddy Ck without some assistance.

Dear Board,

How many bowfin will be needlessly slaughtered by well-intentioned but ignorant anglers? Bowfin are native to the lower Susquehanna River basin, ignorant white folks are not.

Ohhh, the irony!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Snakeheads naturally got here. They have never received assistance in planting themselves.
Yeah, I wouldn’t rule out “assistance.” Based on the comments I’ve read, I’d say it’s extremely likely.

The Snakehead Alliance is growing stronger every day.

Yeah, I wouldn’t rule out “assistance.” Based on the comments I’ve read, I’d say it’s extremely likely.
The Snakehead Alliance is growing stronger every day.
It really sucks how many PA lakes and rivers which now have snakeheads reproducing after they've been illegally "stocked" by snakehead guys.

Snakeheads and blue catfish have been introduced into Chesapeake Bay, which is the nursery waters for Atlantic stripers is very concerning, especially since the striper population is at a low point.

One can only hope they don't really damage the native fish and ecosystem on any river or lake.

Only time will tell....

Back