Snakehead warning in the Susky

It really sucks how many PA lakes and rivers which now have snakeheads reproducing after they've been illegally "stocked" by snakehead guys.

Snakeheads and blue catfish have been introduced into Chesapeake Bay, which is the nursery waters for Atlantic stripers is very concerning, especially since the striper population is at a low point.

One can only hope they don't really damage the native fish and ecosystem on any river or lake.

Only time will tell....
Yea chesapeake I believe is nursery water for 70% of the striped bass produced on the easy coast last time i read about that issue.

What has happened to native brook trout with invasive brown trout could certainly happen to strippers and shad with snakeheads, blues, and flat heads

Last edited:
Every selfish person who introduces an invasive sport fish into our water ways just increased the funding for stuff like this. It may not be while I am alive but eventually killing off entire populations of invasive fish will be as easy as releasing a couple of them. Then instead of only one patient releasing them to start a population one release will be able to exterminate them.

Dear Board,

How many bowfin will be needlessly slaughtered by well-intentioned but ignorant anglers? Bowfin are native to the lower Susquehanna River basin, ignorant white folks are not.

Ohhh, the irony!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
Best post ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

It really sucks how many PA lakes and rivers which now have snakeheads reproducing after they've been illegally "stocked" by snakehead guys.

Snakeheads and blue catfish have been introduced into Chesapeake Bay, which is the nursery waters for Atlantic stripers is very concerning, especially since the striper population is at a low point.

One can only hope they don't really damage the native fish and ecosystem on any river or lake.

Only time will tell....
Why do you think it's illegal to sell snakehead meat in Va ?

My wife and I grilled fish tonight for dinner. I decided to try a snakehead filet for the first time. It was only $9.99/lb at my local fish market. I thought it was pretty good — not at all fishy and almost similar to red snapper or a similar saltwater fish in terms of taste and texture.

Compared to the grouper I also bought, the snakehead was a bargain! We cooked it simply with olive oil, Old Bay, and lemon.

They aren’t going away, so we might as well eat them.

My wife and I grilled fish tonight for dinner. I decided to try a snakehead filet for the first time. It was only $9.99/lb at my local fish market. I thought it was pretty good — not at all fishy and almost similar to red snapper or a similar saltwater fish in terms of taste and texture.

Compared to the grouper I also bought, the snakehead was a bargain! We cooked it simply with olive oil, Old Bay, and lemon.

They aren’t going away, so we might as well eat them.
I have faith in mankind that we can severely damage populations of fish that have a monetary or culinary value. Obviously like you said they are here to stay and we can’t eradicate them until biocontrols get better but id love to get out there like the old timey black and white photos of 500 brook trout on a game poll and shoot a reenactment with snakeheads. Maybe can blunt the effects and get some free food.

I would definitely like to catch one and eat it. I have eaten both Blue catfish and Flatheads and was not impressed with either of them. I saw a Snakehead last summer by turnpike bridge on Susquehanna. I am sure it was a Snakehead. There may be Bowfin in lower river but I have never heard of one or seen one. They are in Lake Marburg and some get into Codorus. Pic is of a not so delicious Blue Catfish from Susquehanna.

Attachments

• 353383837_1460785078027199_142071058414808284_n.jpg
    353383837_1460785078027199_142071058414808284_n.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I would definitely like to catch one and eat it. I have eaten both Blue catfish and Flatheads and was not impressed with either of them. I saw a Snakehead last summer by turnpike bridge on Susquehanna. I am sure it was a Snakehead. There may be Bowfin in lower river but I have never heard of one or seen one. They are in Lake Marburg and some get into Codorus.
The only family members who ate snakeheads were two of my sons. The oldest lived near the Upper Patuxent close to Fort Meade. From that point south, MD is polluted with snakeheads.
(I was told) Since they're basically a lungfish, only the back half of the body has meat on it. The boys cooked the fillet chunks like fried chicken... soaked in buttermilk, breaded, and fried.

I would definitely like to catch one and eat it. I have eaten both Blue catfish and Flatheads and was not impressed with either of them. I saw a Snakehead last summer by turnpike bridge on Susquehanna. I am sure it was a Snakehead. There may be Bowfin in lower river but I have never heard of one or seen one. They are in Lake Marburg and some get into Codorus. Pic is of a not so delicious Blue Catfish from Susquehanna.
Catfish from the Lower Susqy seem to be tastier when caught in late winter -early spring. I've been taught to put them in an aerated 55 gallon drum over night to " get the mud out". Keeping the water cold and clean overnight seems to firm the meat up so its not so mushy. Also, soaking the fillets in milk overnight helps.

Back