Snakehead update: The Giving Pond, DCNR lake, upper Bucks Co

Actually they are crediting the aggressive killing of the snakeheads with keeping them in somewhat check. Despite this aggressive removal of the snakeheads they are still here and as previously stated, they are here to stay. They are not going anywhere but if left unchecked other species may. It's really that simple.

While zebra mussels have made the Great Lakes water clarity clearer they have "unleashed ecological havoc" and are "sucking the life out of Lake Michigan and lake huron" according to the experts. That doesn't sound like a plus to me.

If by sucking the life out of the lakes you mean contributing to a crash of alewife (invasive) which contributes to a crash of Pacific salmon and steelhead (introduced) I guess you have a point.

However none of those species are supposed to be there. In lake Huron, native species are doing better population wise than they were prior to the alewife crash (which was probably caused by zebra mussels). The great lakes are a great resource, and lots of fun but the trout and salmon fishery is artificial and dependant upon stocking.

It seems the biggest concern is the immense algae blooms and the health effects on humans from the messy unsightly byproduct of the increased algae. Followed closely by the impact on the marine life.

Fredrick, No I'm not encouraging anyone to throw any fish on the bank. We're talking a specific species The states says "Anglers should dispose of them properly" and since you can't posses a live one or release a live one into PA waters. Then you have two options either kill it and let the local critters dispose of it or you take it home and eat it.
With flatheads I've heard the same thing about them decimating the pan fish population. But I've see too many guys fishing the Wissahickon for flathead bait.

JerryC wrote:
Fredrick, No I'm not encouraging anyone to throw any fish on the bank. We're talking a specific species The states says "Anglers should dispose of them properly" and since you can't posses a live one or release a live one into PA waters. Then you have two options either kill it and let the local critters dispose of it or you take it home and eat it.
With flatheads I've heard the same thing about them decimating the pan fish population. But I've see too many guys fishing the Wissahickon for flathead bait.

Jerry there is no law stating you can’t release them . But if you do it has to be in the water in which they were caught. I bet if you start getting requests for snakehead flies from customers you will change your tune ;-)

Just because the state stocks a nonnative fish it doesnt Make it any better for the native fish species or less invasive.

Pooopdeck in the video he said he’s comparing the bass numbers to historical numbers. Yes they have been surveying for only for years but....the fish has been in the surveyed areas for I believe around 12 years that’s a long time for the to fish cohabitate .

It seems the biggest concern is the immense algae blooms and the health effects on humans from the messy unsightly byproduct of the increased algae. Followed closely by the impact on the marine life.
Yep !

As I don't agree totally with some of joes information regarding fly fishing for snakeheads. This is a good article though that he wrote about snakeheads .https://joebruceflyfishing.wordpress.com

As I don't agree totally with some of joes information regarding fly fishing for snakeheads. This is a good article though that he wrote about snakeheads .
https://joebruceflyfishing.wordpress.com
Interesting. I don't know a lot about the science, but I do think we need to rethink our fisheries management in Pa. Things like having such a financial focus on cold-water and concentrating stocking in the Spring just months before the water warms in urban and suburban areas are things to wonder about.

I know urban and suburban areas are not pristine, however, thats where many citizens live. And if some fish survive well in those areas, then maybe some attention and funds for fisheries should be directed in that direction.

Does anyone know anything about winter/fall fishing for snakeheads? Are they worth targeting this time of year or are they inactive? Thanks

I believe they are inactive but I could be wrong.

From what I've been reading the Northern Snakehead follow the same pattern as most fish in the area. They move to deeper water in the winter and are not as active. According to one of the articles I read they can survive as far north as Hudson Bay. If you want to go after them you could.
Fredrick, I think we're interpreting the law differently. It says no live snakehead can be released in PA waters. I interpret that as applying to one you catch.
"Anglers catching snakeheads should dispose of them properly. Anglers suspecting they have caught a snakehead are encouraged to NOT release it, and report it to the Commission at 610-847-2442 or via email"

From what I've been reading the Northern Snakehead follow the same pattern as most fish in the area. They move to deeper water in the winter and are not as active. According to one of the articles I read they can survive as far north as Hudson Bay. If you want to go after them you could.
Fredrick, I think we're interpreting the law differently. It says no live snakehead can be released in PA waters. I interpret that as applying to one you catch.
"Anglers catching snakeheads should dispose of them properly. Anglers suspecting they have caught a snakehead are encouraged to NOT release it, and report it to the Commission at 610-847-2442 or via email"

JerryC wrote:

Here are the Pa regs Jerry how do you interpret them ?

http://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/PennsylvaniaFishes/Pages/Snakehead.aspx

PA REGULATIONS

•It is unlawful for a person to sell, purchase, offer for sale or barter live snakehead species in Pennsylvania.

•It is unlawful to possess live snakehead species in Pennsylvania.

•It is unlawful to introduce or import live snakehead species into Pennsylvania waters.

•Transportation of live snakehead species in or through Pennsylvania is prohibited.

I read its as follows you may not be in possession of a live snakehead . And you cant introduce a snakehead into other waters . So if you keep the fish it cant be alive and you cant introduce it so you have to release to the water were you caught it .

IF YOU CATCH ONE

Anglers catching snakeheads should dispose of them properly. Anglers suspecting they have caught a snakehead are encouraged to NOT release it, and report it to the Commission at 610-847-2442 or via email.

This is not regulation and does not say kill dispose is loose term used to get ride of something
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dispose

Also it says "ENCOURAGED to not release it". It does not say REQUIRED.

Ok, obviously you can't transport a live snakehead or reintroduce it somewhere.

So three other options would be to kill it and put it in a cooler, or on your stringer, or in the trash where legal. You're disposing it, not releasing it, and not introducing it anywhere. Seems like people are trying to find an excuse to release the snakeheads they catch. No matter how much you dissect the wording of the regs, it doesn't make killing and disposing snakeheads a difficult task to do. Just be upfront that you'd rather release them because they're fun to catch. You're legally allowed to do so

I talked to a Wco yesterday and he seconded on what I said about not being able to posses one alive and if you don’t won’t to creel the fish release it immediately to were it was caught. He also said that the state cannot require you to kill the fish but encourage you to. If you still don’t believe me ask yourself .
http://pfbc.pa.gov/forms/contactUs.htm

No, I totally believe you. No confusion on my part.

But the key here is "don't want to creel the fish." So by not wanting to creel the fish, you have to release it on the spot. That's true. But why not creel the fish(obviously killing it first)? Again, you're disposing it and aren't introducing a live one anywhere.

I'm not saying it's wrong to release any you catch where they're established. If you prefer to release them then go for it, you're legally allowed.......just saying the wording of law doesn't make it difficult in any way to creel/dispose of them.

What color buggers are best for snake heads?...

Never fished a bugger for them white or back should be fine .

https://youtu.be/fmgDc5R6D9A

afishinado wrote:
Interesting article about snakeheads:

Snakeheads

Nice article thanks for sharing.Maryland Dnr is as stubborn as they come. They would give the Pfbc a run for their money on some issues.

Back