Sling Pack Deal

Swattie87

Swattie87

$10 on clearance from Eddie Bauer. (It came out to $19 with shipping/handling/tax, just FYI.) Been toying with trying out a sling pack and the price was right on this one to give it a try. Not too wild about the color, but for $19 I don't really care. I'm currently a chest pack guy (although I sling it across a shoulder and buckle it around my waist), and I don't really need more room for gear, but more room for a couple bottles of water or a sandwich is the main reason for wanting to try it. More so this year than ever before I've gotten back to the truck very thirsty, probably too thirsty a couple times.

It's not designed or marketed as a fishing pack, but then again what man purse is? Eddie Bauer generally makes good stuff and that front pocket looks like an ideal, easy access spot for a camera. Will report back when it arrives.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=39085

Dear swattie,

You certainly can't beat the price. The only thing I'd be concerned about is making sure the material will hold a pigtail retractor or two so you can keep nippers and hemos handy. If it does that I'm sure it will work just fine for carrying a couple of fly boxes, a camera, and some grub and drinks. I use a William Joseph slingpack and it kind of a faded teal green color so I don't think the color means much.

Look on the bright side, you'll never misplace it! ;-)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Tim - Good call on the places to hang accessories. My nippers are on a ring that I usually just attach to a zipper...probably the one on the small front pocket in this case. I usually clamp my hemo's to a strap loop on my chest pack and I'll probably look to do the same with this. Everything else I keep inside the pack, or in an exterior pocket on the pack.

My main concern was actually having to improvise a drying patch for my wet flies. My current chest pack has a pocket with a patch just for that purpose. I may have to do a little sewing and/or velcroing with the new sling pack...

As far as misplacing it, I'm pretty adept at things like that...hopefully the color will make it easier to find!

Dear swattie,

If that pack you got has a convenient "D" ring I'll suggest this Streamworks fly patch.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Fishing-Accessories/Fly-Boxes%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/104339880/i/103891680/Stream-Works-Chest-Fly-Holders/744370.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-fly-fishing-fly-fishing-accessories-fly-boxes%2F_%2FN-1100463%2FNs-MIN_SALE_PRICE%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104793480%253Bcat104721480%253Bcat104339880%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104721480%3Bcat104339880%3Bcat103891680

It won't hold really large flies but I've been using one for years. It's never opened by accident and I've never lost a fly because of it.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Wow, a link to Cabela's that worked!

That said, I took my Streamworks box and have since put strips of magnetic tape across the top side. Best of both worlds, especially since I tend to just cram stuff in there and knock it open with buffoonery.

Pack came today...delayed a little bit by the weather no doubt.

All in all very happy with it, especially for $19 delivered to my door. The color is a legit red...I was nervous it looked more pink to me in the online photo, but in person it is definitely red. It was the right size for what I was looking for, and has a lot of adjustment built into the straps...I have the strap rather short to carry the weight higher on my back. It's definitely comfortable, and the weight is distributed across your back as opposed to your neck/shoulder which I felt the chest pack did sometimes.

I have all my accessories (tippet, leaders, floatant, tools, thermometer, etc) in the outer pocket and my fly box in the larger inner pocket. For most of my outings I only carry 1 medium box, sometimes I throw in a second smaller one with extras if I figure I'll be fishing something specific that day. This will hold them both fine. Would probably hold 2 or maybe 3 large boxes in the big pocket if you wanted to though. Exterior water bottle holder fits a standard 16.9 oz bottle or whatever size they are these days. Has some nice features for the price...recessed high quality zippers, bungee cording, the adjustable strap has clips - not just straps. Interior pocket has a clip for keys. Pocket on the front strap fits my small fishing camera nicely. I safety pinned my fly patch from my old chest pack to the front strap for easy access to the flies I'm fishing that day. With my nippers on the front (camera) pocket zipper I shouldn't even have to "sling" the pack to change flies very much (unless I am going to my box).

Only knocks so far is the material is a little thin, and certainly not waterproof...not that I was expecting that or anything though. Just could be a little thicker...will need to be careful around thorns potentially. Second flaw is the orientation of the storage pockets on the outer (accessory) pocket. When you sling the pack around to your front they are facing sideways, which makes it tougher to see into them to pick out tippet etc. Worth the $19 though and looking forward to getting out with it.

A few pics...

Attachments

• Pack 004.jpg
    Pack 004.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Pack 003.jpg
    Pack 003.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Pack 001.jpg
    Pack 001.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Pack 002.jpg
    Pack 002.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 6
They are sold out of them now.

jjsjigs wrote:
They are sold out of them now.

Sorry if that last post got anyone wanting one...didn't know they sold out in the meantime. I saw a few on Amazon and Ebay too when I was looking...don't remember the prices on those sites, but you could possibly still find one there.

Yeah I clicked on your link to the eddie bauer site and "SOLD OUT". A little bummed... cuz it looks like a great pack.

I noticed a decent Swiss Gear sling bag that comes in black and grey at a local Target (Chambersburg PA). It goes for $29.99. I only looked at it briefly before passing it over since I was there for other reasons, but I've been thinking about going back for it. Decent price compared to others that are made for fly fishing.

http://www.target.com/p/SwissGear-Mono-Sling-Black/-/A-11149390

Back