Slate drake, brown drake

A

alatt

I'm headed up to Pine creek late May and looking for some Slate drake and Brown drake patterns (recipes). Thanks in advance.

I think you’re much more likely to see Sulphurs and March Browns in that time period. Sulphurs mostly. Maybe the very beginning of Slate Drakes, but I bet the fish will be on Sulphurs.

Don’t go too late. That stream can hit 80 deg on later Memorial Day weekends down from Slate Rn.

Don’t go too late. That stream can hit 80 deg on later Memorial Day weekends down from Slate Rn.

Not this year.

Never say never, I’ve been watching that place at Cedar Run flow was just under 5k a week ago it’ll be 1k tomorrow. Drops fast and runs off quickly coming down out of those hills.

Light colored flies and BWO this early in the season. Mid-May to June for slate drakes. You may see slate drakes on Little Pine earlier - just don't trip over the fallfish rock mounds.

Actually I was hoping to see some patterns or recipes. Thanks anyway.

Actually I was hoping to see some patterns or recipes. Thanks anyway.
Gotcha. Try the many (and growing) number of pages in the "What Are You Tying Today?" thread.

Been tying comparadun style flies this way for a few years. Tie your slate drake and suffurs this way with color to match naturals. I never fished Pine so not sure what colors to suggest. Most slate drakes are a mahogany to Chocolate brown color. Sulfurs run light orange to yellow some with olive undertones. I tie my my sulfurs with olive thread.

I think you’re much more likely to see Sulphurs and March Browns in that time period. Sulphurs mostly. Maybe the very beginning of Slate Drakes, but I bet the fish will be on Sulphurs.
late may = slate and brown drakes here on pine.

Attachments

• brown drake 2.jpg
    brown drake 2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 42
  • brown drake 3.jpg
    brown drake 3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 43
  • iso1.jpg
    iso1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 41
largest hatch chart for pine, spent years finding them all. still finding more insects.

Attachments

• pine 2020a.jpg
    pine 2020a.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 50
Here's one from Slate Run Tackle Shop.

My boys and my father-in-law tie them a little differently. Definitely an olive body, but they aren't picky about the number of fibers in the tail and there is a defined dark ring around the wing post. There is a lot of material on these flies, so they can only last one year - the hooks always rust under the wing.

How do you know that? That is over a month away. You don't know anything about what Pine Creek will be like in a month.
Right? We fished between Slate Run and Cammal the first week of June last year. We may have caught more than we did, but water level was the lowest we've ever seen. Water temps didn't leave the 60s even into the afternoon and fish were rising from 5pm until dark. Little Pine didn't even have enough water to fish in, so we left it alone. Canoe traffic is more of an issue after Memorial Day than water temperature.

I'd like to be part of that canoe traffic. I would love to take a Canoe Trip from Ansonia and camp over night this summer. OH YEAH!

I'd like to be part of that canoe traffic. I would love to take a Canoe Trip from Ansonia and camp over night this summer. OH YEAH!
Summertime is when all the rocks are painted by the canoe bottoms.

I'm headed up to Pine creek late May and looking for some Slate drake and Brown drake patterns (recipes). Thanks in advance.

If late May means on or close to Memorial Day weekend, I would make sure I had Green Drakes as well.

I'm not a fan of trout fishing on Pine except way, way up in the Class A sections, but I saw one of the heaviest Green Drake hatches I have ever experienced on Pine down in Cedar Run one Memorial Day weekend.

I actually created my extended foam body Coffin Fly pattern at the kitchen table in my cabin the following morning using several real Green Drake spinners I captured the evening before.

I've also encountered them every year over Memorial Day weekend on the medium to smaller streams I prefer. The number of flies may not great, but the fish take them and my imitations with reckless abandon.

If you decide to fish other places during that time period other flies I would never be without are imitations of Yellow Sallies and Blue Quills.

If late May means on or close to Memorial Day weekend, I would make sure I had Green Drakes as well.

I'm not a fan of trout fishing on Pine except way, way up in the Class A sections, but I saw one of the heaviest Green Drake hatches I have ever experienced on Pine down in Cedar Run one Memorial Day weekend.

I actually created my extended foam body Coffin Fly pattern at the kitchen table in my cabin the following morning using several real Green Drake spinners I captured the evening before.

I've also encountered them every year over Memorial Day weekend on the medium to smaller streams I prefer. The number of flies may not great, but the fish take them and my imitations with reckless abandon.

If you decide to fish other places during that time period other flies I would never be without are imitations of Yellow Sallies and Blue Quills.
I have only fished a bit of Pine Creek, but I didn't really like it where I was. I was in Ansonia, and it was wide, warm, and lined with nothing but Knotweed. I have never been on Pine down closer to Slate and Cedar. But I was in Ansonia in early June and the water temps were in the low 70's there so....

I have only fished a bit of Pine Creek, but I didn't really like it where I was. I was in Ansonia, and it was wide, warm, and lined with nothing but Knotweed. I have never been on Pine down closer to Slate and Cedar. But I was in Ansonia in early June and the water temps were in the low 70's there so....

I used to stay at Pettecote Junction Campground so I used to fish it just below the mouth of Cedar Run maybe two or three times and a mile or so down the road once when I was staying at a different place.

It's big water which I really don't care for because I like to move around and explore new holes and IF there other folks fishing in a stretch (and there are over Memorial Day Weekend) you are kind of stuck fishing in the same spot unless you want to get in your car and move someplace else.

The fish I caught were all stockers with the exception of a smallmouth I caught one morning at the stretch further down the road. Ironically that was the last time I fished Pine for trout.

However, if you fished in Ansonia you should have driven 20 miles up the road to the Class A part of Pine which is worth fishing if only because it gets really small and you can walk across it anywhere you want.

Last edited:
Back