Skunked on Muskies Again (Despite Good Conditions)

Well, You have certainly piqued my interest and not being far from the Susquehanna River and several main tributaries I should give it a try. I also have a buddy with a boat, who might know where I might find some Musky
Steve

Looking like I might have a couple hours to get out again this weekend. Debating on a couple spots though...are any of you guys hitting lakes yet? Or is moving water a better bet, given the temps/time of season/etc.?

I got to mess around with dying some feathers this week...small batches, but pretty cool results regarless.

6819847558_c63a98d09c_b.jpg

The red guys on the left were cool aid and the orange was the liquid rit dye. Both were pretty quick and simple. Just gotta take em swimming now.

Over a 101 posts and 2400 hits and no filthy fresh musky pics. Man someones gonna have break the seal.........

Buy the way nice flys what sz hooks ya use?

Ramcatt wrote:
nice flies... and stickers

Thank you sir...they found a good home. Been meaning to send a pic of the first fish w/ the new reel, but it hasn't quite happened yet.

Paco, I lost the packaging a while back so I'm not positive, but my best guess is a 2/0. They're the biggest I've got at the moment, but I have been looking to upgrade after seeing some of the beasts you've posted recently. You have a favorite?

The sharpest you can afford. I stay in the 4\0 to 6\0 range in the perfect or oshagnassy bend. Mustads 34007 will do you have to hitt em with a file frequently. I'm gonna order the 9107 siwash & 9255 VMC's to see what there like.

They are pricey but it's tough to beat Gamakatsu hooks. They are scary sharp right out of the package. I like the SL11-3H. Sharp hooks are a MUST with musky. Their jaws are so hard. Either buy good sharp hooks or buy some more moderately priced ones and get good with a file. I used to use the Mustad 3407 but once I tried the Gamakatsu I have never looked back.

these are pretty nice

0e508d8c.jpg

a little short in the shank
but super sharp! and strong

ecf7365f.jpg

Good stuff here, and thanks for the input...might have to pick some up soon.

It's always been a concern with the current hooks i'v got, but the last 3 posts have confirmed how important the sharpness is. Defeinitely need to get a hook file.

Dumb question, but is there anything more common/around the house I can use as a file? Or is the real thing the way to go?

Get 1 from walmart rapala or lure jehnsun makes em. Mustad makes a ultra point tarpon hook to thats a little longer shanked.

A good way to sharpen big hooks is with a cordless dremel they are like $20. Use bit #952 and do the same thing with it as a regular file. I am not very good with a file and find this to work good when I bung hooks up.

Another good hook that I wish came in bigger sizes is the DaiRiki 810. It only goes up to 3/0 but is very sharp and reasonable priced I think $9.95 for 25 hooks. It works really well for some of the smaller musky flies (5-6 inches)

jay348 wrote:
Good stuff here, and thanks for the input...might have to pick some up soon.

It's always been a concern with the current hooks i'v got, but the last 3 posts have confirmed how important the sharpness is. Defeinitely need to get a hook file.

Dumb question, but is there anything more common/around the house I can use as a file? Or is the real thing the way to go?

You can sharpen hooks with pretty much any wet stone designed for knives. In my opinion, the best hook sharpener is a diamond stone.

Stip set a rock chest deep in water i want something fast. A file will get it done it a couple of strokes each side and also shave down a bent point.

Sorry you got skunked, I have been reading a lot about muskies on the fly and thats one I haven't caught yet, From what I read they go onto the muddy flats in early spring to warm up, following bait and other spawning fish. Noisy splashing, spinner flys or chugging topwater over grass and around bushes may provoke a strike. Hope this helps.

Musky are so last season! I hear old rotten shoes are where its at right now.

The skunk continues...

Attachments

• IMAG0117.jpg
    IMAG0117.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 6
Ha Jay I bet when you felt the tick from that shoe you put the coal to it with the hook set. It's depressing you finally think you have something and all you end up doing is sinking your fly deep into a log (or a shoe). Keep at it and you will get one.

I got my new 12wt intermediate line coming. Slow moving triples!!! All hells gonna break loose!

Hey TD, you know whats even worse than setting the hook on the bottom.....Having 1 pummle your fly only to lose that fish a second later. Thats heart breaking!

Nah had to over line my echo ion. I usually throw a 400 grn SA express on it. My 10wt. intermediate line I have is way too light to load it efficently. So I got a 12 wt sharkskin intermediate.

Back