Skunked on Muskies Again (Despite Good Conditions)

Well, I suppose it doesn't belong in the skunking thread; but I went fishing with iceyguides today...and holy crap it happened...

6869019936_2471ca4ee1_c.jpg

7015129191_eef9631083.jpg

Easily the craziest fishing experience I've ever had...I think I was shaking for a good 15 min afterwards. Best part was when the old timers asked if we had any luck...I told em I let it go and they got all upset because the musky have apparently been eating all the panfish. Such a shame.

Good job, great first fish. Your ruined forever now!

Nice
Congrats

We floated on Saturday... Only to have a feeder 1 mile down from the launch pumping mud

Outstanding!
Looks like a healthy purebred.

I saw your blog entery about the catch. Awsome experience somthing that hardly another fish can top. Every other fish just kinda dont matter anymore......

Awesome fish. I want to send you both a congratulations and a sorry for your loss. Fishing will never be the same after your first musky. Its like crack with the addiction. Soon you will forget about trout. I love trout fishing but I find it hard to do anymore since I have been musky fishing. It is the most awesome feeling in the world especially since you put in so much time for so little reward but when it happens it is such a rush. Congrats.

jay348, glad i was able to get in on a share of the excitement with you and play camera man. Great catch, congratulations!

thanks everyone!

TD55 wrote:
Awesome fish. I want to send you both a congratulations and a sorry for your loss. Fishing will never be the same after your first musky. Its like crack with the addiction. Soon you will forget about trout. I love trout fishing but I find it hard to do anymore since I have been musky fishing. It is the most awesome feeling in the world especially since you put in so much time for so little reward but when it happens it is such a rush. Congrats.

haha yes, i'm worried about this ^, but ok with it at the same time...totally worth it.

glad i was able to get in on a share of the excitement with you and play camera man

You kiddin? If i was by myself, I probably would have packed it in and switched spots by the time you saw the first swirl. Gotta go back and find one for you now!

Jay,
Don't give up on that spot. The oft heard claim that muskies are "loners" and don't hang out together is nonsense. They're not schooling fish but muskies often hang out in small groups fairly close together. I often see muskies in rivers laid up in pairs throughout the year. There's a good chance there are more fish in that section....at least while weather conditions remain stable. Make note of the water temp and conditions and check that spot again next year under similar conditions.

I lost two today! I have noone to blame but myself. I wanted to cry!

Great Fish, I casted for 4 days once in lake marburg and didn't get a follow.

It boils down to right place at the right time......and knowing what to do when in that moment. I watched the new flyfisher this week and the host had a mid 40s fish fallow into the rod tip and he froze. And he didnt do a thing to try to intice that fish to bite.

What do you do if you have one follow in that close and you are wading? Are there different things to do? On a boat I know guys do the figure 8, doesn't work so well wading.

I either sweep the fly in front or behind me just try to keep it moving. If ya have to the fly outta the water. Wait til he leaves, he might stay and check you out....When he on his way out make a short cast infrontof him with in a couple of feet and make a good strip. If he was up "on his fins" when he came in most likely he will eat.

Congratulations! Has your heart stopped pounding yet?

Back