Single v. Double handed rods for steelhead

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

What do you favor for Erie and Ontario?

9-10ft. 7-8 weights or 10'6"-12' 6-8 weights?

I have never caught a steelhead but really want to give it a go this winter. I have only fished the Salmon River for Kings during the madness of September and October. I had one steelhead day trip last year but got skunked. Better luck this year if my schedule allows!

It really depends what you want to do. Be realistic about it too.

If you are going to fish indicator rigs mostly, get a single handed rod. If you think some extra length will help, go to a 10' rod, probably in 7wt, although 6wt is perfectly fine for the PA tribs and also many streams in Ohio an NY. If you want to go with an 8wt, rod weight will be an issue and a 10' 8wt may be uncomfortable to use for a day's fishing.

Don't even waste your time with a switch rod if you are not serious about swinging flies at least half the time. A switch rod is essentially a spey rod that is short enough and light enough to nymph with if you need to. People will probably disagree with that but in my experience the switch rod's true niche is two handed casting and swinging flies on very large creeks or small to mid sized rivers. We don't have any streams of this size in PA. On the other hand, OH and NY definitely have waters big enough for switch rods and also true spey rods.

Kev

Agree. My experience is nearly totally PA steelhead. There is absolutely zero need for a 2 handed rod there.

I voted 10 ft 7 wt. But a 6 or an 8 wt is just fine. You can get away with 5 or 9 wts, though then you're really getting out of the ideal range. I'd never buy a steelhead rod in 5 or 9. But if you're new to the game and just wanna try it out before dropping any dough on a new rod, and you already have one of those, they'll get you by.

9 ft and above is fine. Don't go shorter unless you're going to solely use it on the smaller, brushier streams (there's only a couple, and they're lesser known). For the larger waters (which in Erie speak, means medium sized to everyone else), longer is better. You don't need it for casting, the streams aren't that big and they are WIDE open from a brush standpoint. But length helps you control drag, and gives you a little extra leverage for the fight. Those are important.

And steelhead is one situation where the reel matters, as much if not more than the rod. It's not just a tool to store line. You fight fish on it. Big fish. On relatively light tackle. You need stopping power combined with a nice, smooth drag, and being able to pick up slack line quickly is a big bonus as well for when that fish runs AT you.

Icd drop the money on another 7wt because I can streamer fish with it but can't see spending money on a steelie rod ill use once a year or every other year.

Tribs are too small here but if your going to fish the cat than go 2 handed. I like the 9'6" leangth.

I fish from 8' 6wt glass to a 14' 10wt 2hander, depending on the river/stream. usally carry 4-6 rods each time I go. list of rods and wts.
8'--6wt
9'--6wt
9'--7wt
9'--8wt
10'6"--6wt switch
11' --3/4 wt switch (not finished yet)
14'--10wt spey 2 hander

want a 12'6" or 13'- 8 wt next
and a 10' --7wt

and do not be afraid to use a short fiberglass rod in erie, i have caught 36" musky on a 6'--6wt why not a 22" steel head.

Comparing a sh rod and a dh rod is like saying you don,t need a car that does 150 on the autobahn, stay in the right lane with the old folks. Buy a dh pratice with it and you will probably sell most of your sh rods. Teaching dh casts is far easier to learn than sh casts are. Anyone who says different never tried it with proper instruction or is just set in their ways.

brookieaddict wrote:
Comparing a sh rod and a dh rod is like saying you don,t need a car that does 150 on the autobahn, stay in the right lane with the old folks. Buy a dh pratice with it and you will probably sell most of your sh rods.

No it isn't. It's like comparing a hammer and a screw driver, Both are used to drive fasteners but one doesn't replace the other.

I use the 10' 7 wt. to fish an indi rig when the water is low or if I'm fishing smaller water. I use a 11' 7 wt switch rod swinging big flies. I've really enjoyed the switch rod lately.

No it isn't. It's like comparing a hammer and a screw driver.

I was gonna say a hammer vs. a sledgehammer. Both can be used to do virtually all hammering jobs. But that doesn't mean they're both perfect tools for all hammering jobs. Depends on the job.

I found the post strange from someone with the handle of "brookieaddict".

Backcountry.com has a Redington Pursuit 907-4 for $59 plus free two-day shipping. Would this rod be too short for steelies to swing streamers and indicator fish? I could see using it for streamers in the fall too but a 6 weight does that just fine. I would be fishing the Salmon River in NY more so than Erie tribs with the 907. Thanks!

We can agree to disagree all day and night, the facts are a dh rod is easier to cast, and, you can throw the entire fly line with your back against trees/brush etc with no back cast using a snap t or single spey cast. If you fish the Erie tribs a dh rod will let you cover more water and since your swinging the fly it will result in more hookups than drifting a nymph under an indicator. There are always people who will not accept change and we have a few here. I fish the Tully with a 5wt switch and have shown a few sh folks how fun it is , so whats your problem??

Big-Bass , you are probably gonna be grouped up with other fisherman roll casting your fly to where the fish are stacked up or you could fish the slots,bends and under trees where fish will be . I guess its a 9' 7wt 4 piece? good steelhead rod but a bit light for salmon in my experience. If you have an 8 wt, you own the best all around wt. made in my book.

I've fished steelhead in both Erie and SR using 1 and 2 handers.
I normally use 9'6" to 10' 7wts SH for Erie and a slew of two handers for the SR. Nowadays, it's becoming more difficult to find room on any of those streams mentioned to swing a fly. This includes the SR.
The one rod I've used both in Erie and Ontario is a 10'8" 8wt switch. I’ve swung with it, chucked lead with it and bobber fished with it.
If you only steelhead a couple times a year, just use your favorite bass rod.

pcray1231 wrote:
But length ............ gives you a little extra leverage for the fight. Those are important.

Not so sure about that when you consider levers and who has the short end of the stick. Now, a longer fighting butt would give you a little extra leverage.

brookieaddict wrote:
If you fish the Erie tribs a dh rod will let you cover more water and since your swinging the fly it will result in more hookups than drifting a nymph under an indicator.

Really?
I grew up fishing those streams and to be honest, swinging flies is probably the least effective (but most rewarding) tactic for fishing steelhead in Erie. Elk Creek is the only local stream where a DHer has a slight advantage over a single for swinging.
Right now, if I wanted to go to Erie to catch a lot of fish, I'd hit that nice head of a pool where the water plunges down in and bottom bounce it with a lot of weight. Then I'd indy the heck out of that far ledge where most of the fish are holding. Later in the day I might wing the tailout in hopes of finding an aggressive fish or two.

dano wrote:
pcray1231 wrote:
But length ............ gives you a little extra leverage for the fight. Those are important.

Not so sure about that when you consider levers and who has the short end of the stick. Now, a longer fighting butt would give you a little extra leverage.

True that. A longer rod is an advantage for casting since it's a longer lever. A longer rod is a disadvantage when fighting a fish. The fish has more leverage with a longer rod since the angler is on the short end of the stick.

dano wrote:
brookieaddict wrote:
If you fish the Erie tribs a dh rod will let you cover more water and since your swinging the fly it will result in more hookups than drifting a nymph under an indicator.

Really?
I grew up fishing those streams and to be honest, swinging flies is probably the least effective (but most rewarding) tactic for fishing steelhead in Erie. Elk Creek is the only local stream where a DHer has a slight advantage over a single for swinging.
Right now, if I wanted to go to Erie to catch a lot of fish, I'd hit that nice head of a pool where the water plunges down in and bottom bounce it with a lot of weight. Then I'd indy the heck out of that far ledge where most of the fish are holding. Later in the day I might wing the tailout in hopes of finding an aggressive fish or two.

I have to agree with dano almost entirely.

I think there may be some confusion here between ALL Erie tribs and PA Erie tribs. Streams like The Grand River, Cattaraugus Creek, Chagrin River and to a less extent Conneaut Creek are all big enough to accommodate two handed rods and swinging techniques. On the Catt and Grand, depending on flows, swinging may indeed be the best way to cover the water and produce hook ups simply because the runs are so big and the fish may be holding anywhere. It is often necessary to cover water efficiently to find the fish. Not that nymphing wont work well at times, but when fishing is slow, covering water is where it is at. The fishing situation is just so much different in the larger waters than it is in the small streams that we have in PA.

Now if you are talking strictly PA tribs, there is almost never conditions that allow for effective use of two handed gear and swinging flies. The streams are too narrow, too shallow, the runs are too short, etc, etc. You may occasionally find conditions that allow for this approach on lower Elk, but it is almost never the best way to fish that creek. Two handed rods are a useful tool but their trendiness has gotten them into the hands of many anglers who would be better served by just upgrading to a longer and/or lighter single handed rod.

Kev

The longer the cast, the harder the drift. I catch steelhead in NY/Erie right at my feet. I always get a kick out of people using DH in Erie. Also, if your looking for numbers, Swinging an 8 inch purple leech will never catch you as many steelhead as a tiny egg pattern with a short flawless drift. The trend in DH rods has gotten a little out of control. Very effective for snagging salmon in the side.

Stay away from DH if your fishing Erie/NY.

kpitts32 wrote:
The longer the cast, the harder the drift. I catch steelhead in NY/Erie right at my feet. I always get a kick out of people using DH in Erie. Also, if your looking for numbers, Swinging an 8 inch purple leech will never catch you as many steelhead as a tiny egg pattern with a short flawless drift. The trend in DH rods has gotten a little out of control. Very effective for snagging salmon in the side.

Stay away from DH if your fishing Erie/NY.

Wrong in the opposite extreme. Match techniques and tackle to the conditions. Dead drifting is not always the best and swinging is not always the best. As for snagging, if you're truly swinging flies you just won't snag many. Indicator rigs snag fish far more frequently.

Back