Single v. Double handed rods for steelhead

You do not need a bobber to nymph fish and you certainly do not need a 14 foot long fly rod to swing streamers at fish in a 20 foot wide creek. A 9ft long fly rod is capable of swinging flies and casting pretty far if need be which is rarely ever. If you want a 2 handed rod I suggest holding the fighting butt LOL.

Blake,
Quality= the whole experience, including where you are fishing.
I've probably nymphed up a few thousand steelhead over the past 30 years in those ditches in Erie. I do still nymph the small creeks like Elk and 20 when the big streams are to high and muddy. But to be honest, it just doesn't do it for me anymore.
I decided to get rid of the split shot and all of the other stuff that bait fishermen use and actually "cast" a line and skillfully fly fish.
Doing this on big water like the SR, Grand or Catt adds to the experience. Doing it well there is not easy. I like the complexity of it all.
Most of the guys who swing, used to plunk lead.

I do still nymph the small creeks like Elk and 20 when the big streams are to high and muddy.

I think a lot of what's going on between the switch vs. 1 hand guys is simply where you fish. For instance, from my perspective, Elk and 20 are the BIG streams, not the small ones. Raccoon, Crooked, 4 mile, 6 mile, 8 mile, 12 mile, 16 mile, etc. are the small streams.

And I'm sitting here thinking, geeze, the only place I'd even consider a switch rod viable are the truly large streams (like Elk), and even then I'd be hard pressed to call it an advantage.

"I decided to get rid of the split shot and all of the other stuff that bait fishermen use and actually "cast" a line and skillfully fly fish".

There is skillfully fly fishing then there is fishing a way that does not catch many fish. You yourself have caught thousands of steelhead nymphing, why do you think that is? Your presenting to the fish correctly. The fish are holding the bottom spawning rarely will one come up out of its zone to eat a shoe fly 4 inches under the surface. Skill is an example of you catching thousands of these fish not fishing an ineffective way with imitations that are not in there environment.

I drift streamers for warm water species when they are targeting baitfish. I do it with a 9ft 5wt/9ft 7wt. Carp/Catfish/Walleye etc. It can be very effective but its really not a skillful way to catch steelhead.

Some anglers, usually after catching a lot of fish for a long time, choose certain methods, or tackle, or target certain species, or whatever. Fishing becomes not so much about catching the fish anymore, it's more about the enjoyment and/or challenge of fishing in a certain way or for a certain fish.

As an example, many anglers here FF only, but realize many times a spin rod under certain conditions will catch a lot more fish.

Anyway, it's great to see guys enjoying the sport in many different ways.

pcray1231 wrote:

And I'm sitting here thinking, geeze, the only place I'd even consider a switch rod viable are the truly large streams (like Elk), and even then I'd be hard pressed to call it an advantage.

Erie's tribs are small when compared to the other Lake Erie bordering States.
When the gentleman asked his quesstion, he mentioned the Salmon River along with Erie. Ive fished the Salmon River with both SH and a 10 1/2 switch. With the switch, i've high sticked stacks of splitshot, floated thigamabobbers and swung poly leaders. The Switch rod using two handed casts is much easier to rollcast and less taxing the the arm. Instead of pushing the rod with the right hand, you are pulling the lower grip in with your left. It's almost as if the rod casts itself. If you're back is against a high bank and the fish are holding in the gravel mid stream and out, nothing better than a two handed casts. These fish aren't always at your feet.
I've fished the same rod on Elk and 20 and it fits well and does the same things as my single hander. Plus if I decide to fish the lakeshore or swing the mudhole or conrail tubes for early hot fish, I can switch over to poly leaders. No advantage on rest of the creeks in Erie.
People used to tell me that throwing dryflies to steelhead was a waste of time. I'm glad I was too dumb to listen. Now, I could have caught those fish underneath but then I wouldn't have this awesome memory of that day.

Back