shoelace replacement

L

lestrout

Anybody have advice for replacement wading boot replacements? I was thinking most shoelaces won't hold up to water.

Ive had success using 275 parachord as replacement laces. I founds some at ****'s for a few dollars.

Cut it to lenght, burn the ends, then add about 1/2" of heat shrink to each end of it. Makes it super easy to thread through the eyelets and keeps it from coming apart. Seems to hold up well for the abuse I put my boots through.

The Simms replacement laces are very good in my experience. Yeah they are probably overpriced, but they work and the extra few bucks is worth not screwing around with crappy laces any longer.

I've been using these for over a year now and they're holding up great. kevlar laces

PennKev wrote:
The Simms replacement laces are very good in my experience. Yeah they are probably overpriced, but they work and the extra few bucks is worth not screwing around with crappy laces any longer.
I agree. I keep an extra pair of Simms laces in my gear bag. I think they were $5. A drop in the bucket compared to other things we buy for flyfishing.

Another vote for Simms laces. With that said, you can get para cord at Lowe's that looks pretty good. $5-$8 and it's enough to do your boots 5-7 times.

Cheap boot laces is what I used and never had a problem with them. Shoe department of Walmart will carry all lengths.

The para cord idea is great though.

I use the 3/16 rope cord like the cord they use for climbing gear, because there is not a cotton core. I have swapped it out on steel toe work boots that have lasted 3x the time regular laces would have lasted
I've used them on my simms river??? for the past 4 years now.
Picked up a spool of 100 feet for less than $10 at the local hardware store.

I use the Simms laces as well. They have help up the best out of anything else I tried and they don't seem to freeze in the winter for some reason.

steveo27 wrote:
Ive had success using 275 parachord as replacement laces. I founds some at ****'s for a few dollars.

Cut it to lenght, burn the ends, then add about 1/2" of heat shrink to each end of it. Makes it super easy to thread through the eyelets and keeps it from coming apart. Seems to hold up well for the abuse I put my boots through.

I also use parachord, and it's inexpensive and durable.

But I've never tried the heatshrink ends. Can you tell us more about how to do that?

Good info here. Yeah, I definitely need to get something. I will probably go with the Simms laces or the paracord. Mine are about ready to self detonate and I don't have anything on hand for a replacement. Put it onto the "to do" list for the upcoming season.

Paracord for me. Cheap and i have plenty.

Back