Saw Creek Kriss Pines Situation

I apologize , i guess i THOUGHT i read the whole thing but NOT. Anyhow the similarities are so close that i would think it would pop up alot more than it did in Chaz's post its all public record on how things progressed and the final outcome is there in detail , do any of you folks think our administration will do anything innovative or out of the box or do you think they will follow Big Spring like a textbook? Once again i'm sorry for missin that post Chaz.

Wastewater treatment at hatcheries, or anywhere, is expensive to build, operate and maintain.

It's nice to think that there must be some innovative, low cost way to clean up the water. But there isn't.

I feel bad that it's expensive to clean up the water before reintroducing it to the watershed, but I'm glad that it's required (sometimes). I don't understand why it's only required sometimes.

It's nice to think that there must be some innovative, low cost way to clean up the water. But there isn't.

recycle it ? - some hatcheries run closed systems in sensitive areas.

you can also filter any waste - even human through reed beds in ponds. many eco housing developments use them.

Is that why there's a stench around those housing developments?

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Is that why there's a stench around those housing developments?

yup. that and the hippies not washing :lol:

dont feed them trout pellets = better BM's = less pollution downstream

I don't know the cost, but the freshwater institute has systems designed for recycling aquaculture and hatchery waters for re-use.
This fish waste thing may or may not be as big an issue as some environmentalists make it out to be. They have blocked striper aquaculture programs in Chesapeake for years and it is a huge body of water with a lot of turnover and flow. Fish go in the water and it does not seem to be a problem for massive schools of mehaden and other species that travel in large concentrated schools during the summer months. It seems like any new fish culture that requires pens or nets get a big no go from the current EPA. What is fish waste; the same thing that happens when massive schools of salmon die and add their fertilizer to streams which is important source of fertilizer to create food for the new generation of smolts. They are now dumping commercial fish waste in the headwaters of traditional salmon rivers to help fertilize them and help improve their productivity. One river's fish waste is another river's fertilizer. My experience with federal government biologists is that they have a better grasp of political correctness than biological science. They go with the folks and political appointees who pay them.

Back