Salmon River NY Trip in 2 weeks

mute

mute

Anyone want to build me a cart full of flies that ill need and re-link me here??

https://www.theflystop.com/fly-fishing-flies-discount/salmon-steelhead

This is my second tripup there, last year I went up and it was a total blow out for the full 3 days as the river was flooded and roaring at 4000CFS...

My personal theory is that the salmon are not selective when striking at a fly. I do not or will not venture to guess why they strike at a fly as I am not a salmon. It could be hunger, anger, territoriality, instinct, involuntary reflex or God knows what. What suggestion I will offer is to stay away from intricate and detailed flies that cost a lot. They really aren't necessary. If you are fishing correctly you will lose plenty.

That said, the glow bugs, egg pattern and chrystal meth patterns are all good. Get a variety of each color. Some days it makes a difference--- usually not. Presentation will catch fish consistently.

If you are fishing over fish in the upper sections, these fish are a bit educated. Subdued colors are better in my estimation... YMMV. A generic nymph in Brown Black or Olive works well. I have found brighter flies to spook fish once they are in river a few days.

I really like the prices of those flies in the link. Makes me wonder why I even bother.

Comet and Egg Patterns should do ya

Makes sense. What are the goto sizes for middle of october? Im gonna toss a chunk of change here and fill a box before I go so I can atleast cover my bases with using the right sized flies now and only have to guess at finding the fish and getting one to take. I would like to make the 5 hour trip worth it with atleast one hooked fish.

Nymph 6 thru 10 Eggs 8-12. I don't fuss so much over size. You will do fine with #8 Nymphs and #10 eggs. Kind of like the 30-06 of fly sizes. Not the best for anything but works for just about all.

All the before mentioned flies will do. A lot of strikes you will get are anger strikes.

So...don’t be afraid to throw in a few San Juan worms or other flies that resemble a worm. I catch a lot of both species of salmon, Kings and coho, each fall on plain old 1/2 crawlers(real ones) threaded on a number 12 or 10 gomakatsu. Like all salmonids, they will often hit these aggressively. If you can see them, you can easily tell which fish are interested and target them. I can’t see why a worm imitating fly wouldnt do the job too.

I dont fish the salmon river but do fish 7 or 8 other tribs near there, so I’d imagine they’d work anywhere.

Enjoy yourself and good luck!!! The Lake Ontario tribs are as fun as it gets if you stay away from the crowds.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago the guide tied on olive and black beadhead buggers for swinging runs with heavy shot about 3 to 4ft above the fly. Size 6-10. As well as bright egg patterns size 10. Might want to call Fat nancys tackle shop and/or the good folks at the dsr. I’m sure they will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. We were early for the run but everyone around me was fishing similar bright egg patterns or small dark/neutral streamers. Given the bright egg and dark streamer combo I was thinking next time I’d bring a few egg sucking leeches that had a pink egg and black body.

^All good advice.

Good idea to stock up on some flies before you go, but be sure sure to stop into the local fly shops. Whitakers and Fat Nancy's fly shops are right at the ramp when you get off Rt81. They will be able to give you an idea on what flies are working best at the time and should have them in stock.

Take with you and fish the nymphs, buggers and egg flies you have in your regular trout fishing box. Just be careful the flies are tied on decent quality as well as heavy wire hooks.

Have a good time, and post a report when you return.

I've heard from a few people this year that flesh flies are producing well. find some peach colored rabbit strips and knock out some zonkers.

I believe you and I communicated last year about flies and tackle for the Salmon River. Everything I said last year holds this year unless, of course, you run into a blown out river. Right now, there does not appear to be any blow out the river weather in the offing for the next 10 days. Some rain but nothing that would get you to 4000 CFS.

Back