Salmon flies

You make a valid point. Although I dont agree with you. Since you dont quite grasp what im talking about. I dont blame you, its nerd talk anyways. Also what does this have to with the fact that black IS the best color. Further more lets stop boring everyone with such facts... We all just humble fisherman here eh.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
You make a valid point. Although I dont agree with you. Since you dont quite grasp what im talking about. I dont blame you, its nerd talk anyways. Also what does this have to with the fact that black IS the best color. Further more lets stop boring everyone with such facts... We all just humble fisherman here eh.

What are you babbling about? You asked for an explanation, and one was given. I quite grasp exactly what you're saying, but I don't think you understand your own thought patterns.

The reason black is the preferred colour for low visibility use is because it provides the strongest silhouette.

I don't profess to be an expert in chromatics, but subjectively speaking, of black absorbs ALL light, then it will always be darker than its surrounding enviroment, and thus will show up as a darker spot or a silhouette in the enviroment. At a point where all visible light no longer reaches, then this argument becomes invalid. Judging from the NOAA chart above, this is somewhere around 210 meters below the surface where the actinic blue no longer reaches. At this point, where no light is evident, black would no longer present its advantages, and my strictly amateur thought is white provides the advantage again.

Do you also understand that light and pigment exhibit inverse properties when dealing with white and black? We're discussing light spectrums and visibility, ergo by that standard black is unmeasurable, as it contains no visible light at all. It is nothing. Empty. Black.

HEy HEy!!! Now your on the trolly.... but please humble fisherman here.

I'm ensuring that casual readers don't get sucked into anyone's ignorance. When information is demonstratably and patently wrong, then it should be refuted.

Ok lol my apologies, I wasnt aware that you knew all. Please forgive me. I mean what you should be all knowing seeing how many post you have.. You must have plenty of time on the water or on the vise.

Funny thing about fact: its not influenced by things like gut feelings which are accumulated at the vise or on the water.

"What's the best fly to use" has subjective answers. "What colour shows up best in muddy water/night/et al" has hard fact to back it up.

Yes sir, your correct. And the color is black. So perhaps you will stop your argumentative banter now? Seeing that the thread is an ongoing cycle between us. Something that could be handled via pm.

Yeah but if there is no black in nature why would you tie a black bug which would be artificial as it matches nothing and we are supposed to be matching the hatch or mimicking the minnow as closely as we can using materials either man made,natural or otherwise that create the illusion of life which can't be black as it doesn't exist naturally.
I like black though as it works well so the fish must think its natural or they wouldn't take it unless they were just hitting movement.I always used black nite flies when i was night fishing except when I was using other dark colors which are even more natural.
I see I am too late to help not confuse the issue.oops

Sure there's black in nature, however in this circumstance we're not relying on "match the hatch" insomuch as we're falling back to, "see this moving thing, must be alive: put it in your mouth."

Black creates a strong profile, and what's the key here: It must be alive, so eat it. If it blends in, you won't see it, and thus won't trigger the eat me response. Natural creatures evolve for this concept, so making it easier for the fish to see the lure swim by helps us whereas a natural would blend in.

Hence big, bulky streamers in high water. Big profile, big acoustic signature.

okay-but rebuttal due-no black in nature according to art teachers,just varying shades of grey.
if it wasn't so boring you could probably do as well as anyone with just black flies.

You guys need to get out and fish. This intellectual conversation is mind numbing. It's not cabin fever season yet.

Back