Salmon flies

I have a question;
What’s you experience with use of the swivel (or ball bearing snap swivels ) for SR salmon, how heavy and why?

find some good data here

Attachments

• swivels.jpg
    swivels.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2
ryguyfi wrote:
Thanks a lot Boyer... Probably 400 flies and you tell me the 1 pattern I only have 1 fly in is the ticket. Way to boost my confidence!

(it's actually blue and purple)

Black is a hot fly because it's easiest to snag them with something they can't see.... hence the smiley.

Actually Jay, I meant that the fly you have one of is always the hot one, but I see what you're sayin!. :)

Boyer

Gotcha. True enough.

I thought you were hinting at the venerable black sponge!

i have seen sponge for sale up there,even in gas stations.do the snagging set put sponge on to fulfill a requirement?or do people use sponge as an egg imitation?

To fulfill the requirement that you can't fish a bare hook.

Then again, I'd imagine the fish will occasionally take it as an egg imitation, as well. I've seen goons catch steelhead on sponge, and those fish are most likely eating it.

I'll echo what jay said and add a few things. Sponge will also suspend just a bit, and also anise can be added. Had 2 guys up there tell me that 1/100 fish will take a fly or lure. Said most fish are hooked outside the mouth I was proven otherwise while up there while watching many fair caught fish over the weekend with flies inside the mouth.

I would just like to state that a fish can see black easiest of all colors in the water.. Especially in deep dark water.

What about RED? I thought that was the easiest color?

Maybe I'm wrong? But that's what i was told from some guy with a color reading electronic gizmo for Bass fishing. Tells you what color to use for what type of water conditions.

Then you need to know, if the fish are using rods, or cones for that time of day to be successful.

And how does one actually know what a trout can see? Do they now talk to the scientist making these trout films?

Guess your signature is very true. More B.S. in fly fishing. "ROFL"

Purple would be next in line. Then blue. The gizmo the gentleman had probably read light in the Red spectrum alone. But bass is whole other ball game. With even more myths and crackpot theories.

Black is most visible in murky water (but technically, black is not a "color", it is the absence of color and White is the presence of all colors). The red part of the color spectrum is the first to disappear in the depths, while the blue part of the spectrum is last to disappear. Anyway, here's a link to some info about the effect of colors and depth of the water / light penetration:

http://www.educatedangler.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=921

afishinado wrote:
Black is most visible in murky water (but technically, black is not a "color", it is the absence of color and White is the presence of all colors). The red part of the color spectrum is the first to disappear in the depths, while the blue part of the spectrum is last to disappear. Anyway, here's a link to some info about the effect of colors and depth of the water / light penetration:

http://www.educatedangler.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=921

Thanks for the link!!!

I was sponfed the wrong information i now see.

A very insightful link. Although black is the color to all that do not reflect light or emit light. Please note the dominate color on graph. It is black.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
A very insightful link. Although black is the color to all that do not reflect light or emit light. Please note the dominate color on graph. It is black.

One, as already noted black is not a colour, its a shade.

Two, you're reading the chart incorrectly. Black is not "dominate" on the graph, its simply the filler that occupies the unused portion of the chart so that the colour ranges show up with best contrast. Black could be puce, umber, or burnt sienna for what it matters there.

However, that said because black reflects the least, it offers up a solid profile by being blacker than the water (etc) around it. Its easier to see its profile, but its easier by the inverse of being the least reflective and visible object in the water.

I thought black was a color in my Crayolla crayon box.
And why does my NY,NJ,PA,CT auto license state hair color black?
and my hair dye is black, nail polish black?

Would I lie to you? The State would, but not me. And Crayola? If you've seen the nonsense they push out for colours now, you'd ignore what they say too. Seriously, some of their colour names aren't even colours, it just freaking stupid. I was amazed and astounded by the nonsense they were pushing on their tour.

The canal museum, on the other hand, was fun. Playing with the little canal locks was not amusing for a 4 year old, but way fun for me.

That's my tourist tip for you: The canal museum.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
I would just like to state that a fish can see black easiest of all colors in the water.. Especially in deep dark water.

Correct, which is why it's funny that the snaggers prefer it.

Gfen- Tell me how you know how to properly read the N.O.A.A. scale. Sounds like you read it like your painting pictures.

My girlfriends and i would rather fish the river thanks!
No tour for us! unless it's a fishing tour!

JohnnyUtah wrote:
Gfen- Tell me how you know how to properly read the N.O.A.A. scale. Sounds like you read it like your painting pictures.

diagram3_220.jpg

See, I understand you're trying to bait me, but the truth is, you're doing it wrong. As per the chart, the colour spectrum is laid out in VIBGYOR. Violet and red have the least amount of penetration, approximately 75m and 25m respectively. The sky blue colour goes down to the deepest point, about 220m or so. Black, on the other hand, is used to fill the "white space," so that you can see the colours. It would've been silly to white for this, as it would've washed out the colour spectrum.

Think of it this way, if in light, black is the absence of all colour, then its essentially unmeasurable. You cannot measure how far black is visible because it is un-visible. Same with white, which is all the colours together, white light hits the water and then various portions of its colourband are split off depending on how far down you go.

color_graph.jpg

That's why this second chart contains neither black or white, they are unmeasurable being all light colours combined (white) or none of them at all (black).

Back