Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Older fiberglass rod (20 YO>)

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Newer bamboo rod

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Older bamboo rod (20 YO>)

Votes: 10 9.4%

• Total voters
See that is the thing, the right tool for the job.
Generally speaking of you are casting 60+, a graphite rod would be the best choice. The weight, recovery etc gives you the best chance for success all day.

However not all glass rods are equal in this regard. I could point to JK Fisher as being a very good vintage glass in longer lengths/ line weights that are not overly heavy IMO, cast like a cannon, are moderate in flex with a very good recovery rate. I enjoy them for carp and muskie fishing. They are great big game rods.

If you are fishing mostly tight streams where the tip is likely to strike a branch multiple times an outing and casts are short, go with fiberglass.

Too many choices to limit yourself. I mean why would anyone?

Most places I fish I break graphite. I have on high modulus graphite multiple times, thin walled fly rods are not good around brushy, " rough terrain" streams where falls are eminent.
However my IM6 rods still hold up.

But like I agreed with above, Im not the best at casting or walking for that matter.
sixfootfenwick, I don't want this to sound like it's a personal attack on you. I have no hard feelings against you nor am I trying to agitate you, I am just trying to clarify things. I am just agitated myself at the misconceptions about certain rods. Thankfully, most of fly fishing is subjective and we will use the equipment we deem necessary. I use the correct rod for the application pertaining to the style I am fishing and the body of water I am fishing. I actually think on small creeks a glass rod is better and will eventually acquire a custom built Chris Barclay glass rod and I am going into Orvis today to trade in an H3 that has fallen out of favor with me on there new Superfine glass 2wt 6'6", which I find to be an excellent rod. This also proves that I am not that much of a graphite/high tech junkie if I am swapping graphite for glass does it? Again I chose to have the rods in my quiver as tools for certain applications.

The IM6 graphite rods do sound legendary and I am sure they are stellar sticks. I have yet to cast one so I cannot offer an opinion on how they feel. I do have an LT that I think dates to the early mid-2000s. I fished it once and put a few natives on it. Good feeling rod but it is a tad heavy (it's a 5 piece) and isn't as responsive as I wised it would be.

I also think rod preference is a generational thing and we all love the gear that came out as we were growing up and throughout our adulthood. I am particular partial to the SAGE Konnotic era, which is now two generations of tech old. I have been into fly fishing only since 2017 and I think many people my age (31 and younger) will probably gravitate towards the new rocket ship rods. We are merely a product of our time.

sixfootfenwick, I don't want this to sound like it's a personal attack on you. I have no hard feelings against you nor am I trying to agitate you, I am just trying to clarify things. I am just agitated myself at the misconceptions about certain rods. Thankfully, most of fly fishing is subjective and we will use the equipment we deem necessary. I use the correct rod for the application pertaining to the style I am fishing and the body of water I am fishing. I actually think on small creeks a glass rod is better and will eventually acquire a custom built Chris Barclay glass rod and I am going into Orvis today to trade in an H3 that has fallen out of favor with me on there new Superfine glass 2wt 6'6", which I find to be an excellent rod. This also proves that I am not that much of a graphite/high tech junkie if I am swapping graphite for glass does it? Again I chose to have the rods in my quiver as tools for certain applications.

The IM6 graphite rods do sound legendary and I am sure they are stellar sticks. I have yet to cast one so I cannot offer an opinion on how they feel. I do have an LT that I think dates to the early mid-2000s. I fished it once and put a few natives on it. Good feeling rod but it is a tad heavy (it's a 5 piece) and isn't as responsive as I wised it would be.

I also think rod preference is a generational thing and we all love the gear that came out as we were growing up and throughout our adulthood. I am particular partial to the SAGE Konnotic era, which is now two generations of tech old. I have been into fly fishing only since 2017 and I think many people my age (31 and younger) will probably gravitate towards the new rocket ship rods. We are merely a product of our time.
Yeah, please don't think I took any of what you are saying that way.
I was just trying to clear up misconceptions also.

Can't go wrong with a Barclay for your application

Most guys don’t know to use a heavy enough reel on a Bamboo Rod to properly balance it
that’s why I think so many say oh they’re old clunky rods because they feel tip heavy and the truth is years ago even the reels that were made to go on the Bamboo Rod‘s were still too light to balance them well and I like a lot of the old American made reels So what I do is I use 1/4 oz stick on wheel weights that you use to balance your tires somewhere on the reel body and I know it looks weird and I’ve had guys laugh at me for it, but now when I fish bamboo the rod is balanced much better and it casts with much more ease

i’ve got a 8 1/2 foot 1947 Orvis Battenkill it’s it’s a 3/2 rod and the Ferrules are 16/10 64ths
this is my go to Rod for five weight line I use all the time here in Eastern Pennsylvania
I use it only for dry fly because I have a Thomas and Thomas 10 foot graphite for for Nymphing that I just love

You could also get creative and find some heavier material to wrap around the reel seat somewhere you don’t have to put lead weights on your reel but that’s what I find is the problem,..most reels are way too lightweight for Bamboo Rod’s even the Hardys they’re just too light

And Id never spend the kind of money that they cost but the high end
Hardy’s are heavier and will balance a bamboo rod Correctly

I also think rod preference is a generational thing and we all love the gear that came out as we were growing up ... We are merely a product of our time.
Or that we wished we could afford growing up.

That certainly has a lot to do with it.

When I started out, the best split cane rods were better the best glass rods, but the worst glass rods were better than the worst cane rods. I could at least afford those worst glass rods, but certainly couldn't afford even an average cane rod. I'm now enjoying what I could only wish for back then, satisfying my inner 12 year old.

Last edited:
The need for fast rods that need to be overlined is so narrow in the real world,it's not worth discussing. The average fly fisherman can't cast the cannons and they don' want to. It's not casting ability that turns people off on the rods, it's the need. Labels never caught anything and they never will. Cast what you like, remember for every foot you cast over you rods length your hook up % goes down.

This might be a dumb question, but doesn't overlining a 4 weight with a 5 just mean it should be labeled it as a 5?

This might be a dumb question, but doesn't overlining a 4 weight with a 5 just mean it should be labeled it as a 5?
I'd say no, it means that personally, you like the way a 5wt line feels on that rod. For everyone else, including the designer. It might be a better as a 4wt.

I've aways had a thing for vintage Orvis graphite rods.
My Far N Fine being the favorite.

Other great old Orvis I've cast:
7'11" 4 weight
8'6" 5 weight Henrys Fork.
9'3" 5 weight Spring Creek

7'11" 4 weight
I've got 2 old Orvis graphites > 25 years old now. The original Orvis grahites back then were designed to be as close to a bamboo feel as they could get. There is even a FB worship page for these old Orvis Graphites.

Vintage Orvis Graphite Fly Rods

7'11" 4 weight
That is a good list.
I've cast the 7/11, Spring Creek, Far n Fine, Marbury and UltraFine.
All great rods.

I remember reading a piece about Vince Marinaro somewhere
Apparantly he fished only cane rods.
But he did say that the one graphite rod he actually liked, was that Orvis Spring Creek

I think rod preference probably also has a lot to do with casting style. I have no problem doing long casts on a 7'5" Fenwick. Mending may be a different story!!!
I have casted, and can cast just fine-modern "fast" graphite rods. It just doesn't match my personal casting style. That's all it is. It's like guitars. Gibsons and Martins and Taylors and Fender all have made incredibly fine instruments. But personal feel and style play a big role in picking the instrument that is right for you.

First, let me say that my opinion is not worth much because I haven't cast very many different rods. My very first rod was part of a cheap Martin outfit, fiberglass. When I eventually got some disposable income, my first premium rod was a Loomis IMX. It was one of the first super-high modulus rods on the market. Talk about a contrast! The Martin went in the trash in a hurry. I fished that for several years and was/am very happy with it. I eventually got a Sage SLT 9' 5wt. I instantly loved the slightly slower action and more relaxed casting stroke. It is easily my favorite. I have never cast a good quality glass or bamboo rod, however, so I can't comment on them. Between being frugal (wife says cheap) and being happy with the rods I already have, I've never been that curious about other rod types. With that said, I do occasionally cast other rods, like when with a guide or when a friend hands me a rod. I certainly notice the difference immediately but after a few minutes, I forget about the rod and focus on the fishing. I have never been blown away such that I thought I should try other rods to improve my experience.

No offense, but I sometimes roll my eyes when I read about the how many have a love affair with some of their older rods.

While there were some good rods made back-in-the-day I generally find them to be rather "clunky" to cast and fish when compared to many of the newer lightweight graphite models now available.
Many vintage glass rods over 7'6" or 7'9" can indeed be heavy and unfriendly. I read that Dr Howald (invented the Shakespeare Wonderod) felt that it's maximum length should be 7'9".

However, the better quality shorter rods are a joy, For smaller to medium sized creeks, my vintage 7' Shakespeare, Cortland and Heddon 4 & 5wt rods are a joy. For larger water, I'll prefer the longer IM6 rods that I've made from Batson blanks.

The weight assignments & actions for a 7' or 7'6" graphite vs a glass rod are not similar or equivalent at all. People who try one of my rods can't believe how the rod makes precision casts (of all types) so easy in tight conditions but the rods then play a panfish or trout so softly. That's why people either pay to have rods rebuilt - or do it themselves - and the rods are now on their 2nd lifetime.

Fly rods are one of my hobbies. I’ve read the opinions in this thread with interest and decided to share my personal experience with them.

While I’ve been fishing since the 1950s, I didn’t start fly fishing until 1979. After fumbling around for more than a year with hand-me-down fiberglass and low-end graphite rods, I replaced them with Orvis 8-foot “Trout” and 7 ½-foot “Brook Trout” graphite rods. Both are well-regarded to this day, and they improved my fishing. I used those rods for almost all of my fishing for 10+ years.

In 1984 I bought an unused 1969-vintage Orvis 6 ½-foot Superfine bamboo rod for no better reason than I appreciated the craftsmanship. In 1990 & 1991 I bought a few more vintage Orvis bamboo rods. I spent 1992 fishing bamboo rods exclusively, not returning to my graphite rods until spring of the next year. That first 1993 outing with a graphite rod is when I had the epiphany—graphite rods feel as synthetic as the material their made of and for my fishing, don’t do anything better than bamboo does. I sold the graphite rods and started buying mostly vintage bamboo rods as I could afford them.

I didn’t touch a graphite rod again until 2015 when I bought three Orvis 4-piece graphite rods for air travel. The newer generation of graphite didn’t change my opinion of the material. I used them for 5 days in Montana and haven’t touched them since.

In 2000, the Classic Fly Rod Forum was started, and I’ve been a member since then. It’s a fairly active membership and forum outings have given me the opportunity to cast hundreds of different bamboo rod models from classic antiques to current production. The actions of some don’t suit me, but I’d be happy to fish with most of them. They’re just pleasant to cast and fish.

Bamboo rods have been and continue to be made for most fly-fishing applications. I don’t collect them and only buy rods to use. Mine range from 6 to 8 ½-foot, for 2 to 9-weight lines and weigh from 1 7/8 to 5 1/8-ounces. The oldest is nearly 100 years old and the newest was made in 1978. I’ve used them for 6-inch brook trout to ~10-lb steelhead. A few are slow & delicate, most have medium actions, one is almost graphite-fast, and one could cast a brick through a steel door. I’m in my late-60s and have no problem fishing the heaviest of them all day.

Quality bamboo rods are very strong—I’ve never broken one. With a little care they’ll last a lifetime and more. They can be expensive, but most are more affordable than high-end graphite and $400-$500 will buy a very nice rod.

I don’t believe that bamboo rods are right for most people, but they’re very capable and shouldn’t be dismissed.

large image host

Quality bamboo rods are very strong—I’ve never broken one. With a little care they’ll last a lifetime and more. They can be expensive, but most are more affordable than high-end graphite and $400-$500 will buy a very nice rod.
I have to ask, where are you finding very nice bamboo rods for 400-500 bucks? That seems pretty low from what I have seen.

Modern graphite. Preferably less than 500$. I personally don't have a need for a rod that costs more than that. I mostly fish the Little J and Spring. My go to right now is a 10' 3w orvis recon. It is technically a "euro nymph" rod, but I tightline, indicator nymph and cast dries with it using a traditional 3w line. I love 10' rods.

My favorite 9' 5 weight is a 120 dollar redington pursuit. I think they are called path's now.

I would love a bamboo rod but way out of my budget. Have cast a few and really liked them.

I recently tried the top of the line Orvis ( about $1000.00) at a flyfishing event. It was lightweight, wonderful to cast and I could get great distance out of it with ease. My main rod for many years has been a Winston BIIX 9 ft in 4 wt but I am definitely considering the Orvis. My old rod has so many memories attached to it and I think that is one of the reasons I hesitate.

I have to ask, where are you finding very nice bamboo rods for 400-500 bucks? That seems pretty low from what I have seen.
It's not difficult to find decent used Orvis 1-tip rods in the $500 range. I see nice rods by lesser-known hobbyist makers offered for less than $500 fairly frequently.

A quick seach found a near-new one-tip 8-foot Orvis Madison for $525 at Coldwater Collectables, a respected dealer. A similar 8-foot Orvis Battenkill with 2-tips sold on eBay for $349 on September 13th.

Pennsylvania dealer Bob Selb has a few short rods for under $500 currently on his Classic Fly Fisherman website.

Richard Alexander (who hosts my Orvis Database) has a very nice restored high-grade 8 1/2-foot Heddon #35 for $400 currently listed on his Antique Rod and Reels website.

It takes knowledge, searching and patience. Without taking this thread into the weeds, I'll caution that you truly need to know what your buying and have return privileges.

Back