Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Older fiberglass rod (20 YO>)

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Newer bamboo rod

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Older bamboo rod (20 YO>)

Votes: 10 9.4%

• Total voters
Of krayfishes shootout results. It's 6 years old and it's gotten worse since then.

43 different 5 weight line entries.

0 are below the target weight
1 is exactly on target weight
42 are above target weight

- 0 are below the AFFTA standard.
- 13 are within the AFFTA standard
- 31 are above the AFFTA standard.
- The median and average 5 wt lines are actually 6 wts. It's 100% accurate to say the average fly line is a size larger than what it is labeled. I'm not claiming dishonesty, many of them openly say it's 1 size larger or whatever. But they're still slapping a 5 wt sticker on a 6 wt line, then turning around and saying it's sized up to balance modern fast action (read, underlabeled) rods as a selling point, as if we couldn't have just bought a 6 wt line to begin with.
- 6 of the 43 lines rated as 5 wts are actually 8 wts or above and getting into ridiculous territory.

Including Cortland 444, btw. It is sized up 1 size.
Dear pcray,

I don't want to pick nits, B.S. - yes, I do! The Cortland 444 referenced in the test is the Modern Trout line and not the 444 Classic peach line. I think the peach line is still within its designated line size. I use it a lot on bamboo and fiberglass rods, and it seems to perform properly without feeling overly heavy.

If you want an accurately weighted line, try a Cortland 444 Sylk line. It's designed to aesthetically mimic silk fly line on bamboo rods. One of its advantages is that it is heavy for its diameter just line a real silk line. It works great on every rod I've ever tried it on, but it shines on older bamboo and fiberglass rods which generally have much smaller snake guides than modern rods of the equivalent line weight. In a 7 weight it shoots great on my Fenwick and Shakespeare glass 7 weights, even better than 444 peach does.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Very interesting. i have never even tried my 7 wt for dry fly fishing but may in future. Any suggestions on a 6 or 7 wt that would be a good dry fly rod?
Just a FYI.... If your 7wt is 10'6" that you use for steelhead, taking it to a small stream to fish midge dries will end up in frustration. 🤣.

If you have a 8.5 - 9' rod that is a pretty strong 5wt, stick a DT6 or even a 7 line if you can find a line that is lighter toward the tip or has a compound rear taper. Doing this might not win you a distance casting championship but it might make casting easy peasy and should allow you to turn over a longer leader (when necessary)

Just a FYI.... If your 7wt is 10'6" that you use for steelhead, taking it to a small stream to fish midge dries will end up in frustration. 🤣.

If you have a 8.5 - 9' rod that is a pretty strong 5wt, stick a DT6 or even a 7 line if you can find a line that is lighter toward the tip or has a compound rear taper. Doing this might not win you a distance casting championship but it might make casting easy peasy and should allow you to turn over a longer leader (when necessary)
Thanks for info. Presentation at a distance is something I have become very interested in over the last several years. I do have a 9 ft Loomis NRX 5 wt which is a very nice rod. I always used to use the DT lines but switched to WF which became very popular. Your idea of a DT in a heavier line sounds like something I would like to try. My leaders are often as long as 18 ft so turnover can be an issue.

Dear pcray,

I don't want to pick nits, B.S. - yes, I do! The Cortland 444 referenced in the test is the Modern Trout line and not the 444 Classic peach line. I think the peach line is still within its designated line size. I use it a lot on bamboo and fiberglass rods, and it seems to perform properly without feeling overly heavy.

If you want an accurately weighted line, try a Cortland 444 Sylk line. It's designed to aesthetically mimic silk fly line on bamboo rods. One of its advantages is that it is heavy for its diameter just line a real silk line. It works great on every rod I've ever tried it on, but it shines on older bamboo and fiberglass rods which generally have much smaller snake guides than modern rods of the equivalent line weight. In a 7 weight it shoots great on my Fenwick and Shakespeare glass 7 weights, even better than 444 peach does.

Regards,

Tim, you are 100% correct on the Cortland 444. The Peach is not the same as the "modern trout" line. Do they still make the Modern Trout line?

Thanks for info. Presentation at a distance is something I have become very interested in over the last several years. I do have a 9 ft Loomis NRX 5 wt which is a very nice rod. I always used to use the DT lines but switched to WF which became very popular. Your idea of a DT in a heavier line sounds like something I would like to try. My leaders are often as long as 18 ft so turnover can be an issue.
On that rod, you should be able to use:
SA Mastery Trout taper 6wt
SA VPT 6wt (discontinued)
SA Mastery DT 6wt
SA Mastery Expert Distance 6wt
Wulff Triangle Taper 6wt
Airflo Tactical Taper 6wt

I've really enjoyed airflo river and stream (currently called tactical).

Tim, you are 100% correct on the Cortland 444. The Peach is not the same as the "modern trout" line. Do they still make the Modern Trout line?
Dear Saquatch.

They show a Trout Boss line in the Cortland catalog now. I don't know how that measures up to the Modern Trout line though. I know I'm an old fart, but I still have a great affinity for Cortland fly lines, especially the 444's and Sylks.

They just work for me, and they last forever with cleaning and proper care.

Regards,

I exclusively used 444SL from early 80's into mid 90's. Loved it but had horrible issues with the line cracking. Rarely lasted more than 18 months. Cleaned frequently and treated with armour all. Was out of town and they didn't have Cortland lines and that's how I started messing with Rio, SA and Airflo. Glad I did. Have an airflo line that's gotta be 25 years old. Still good as new.

That's interesting. I have a 444 Peach here that I've had for at least 5 years and it's still going strong. Funny how that works.

I exclusively used 444SL from early 80's into mid 90's. Loved it but had horrible issues with the line cracking. Rarely lasted more than 18 months. Cleaned frequently and treated with armour all. Was out of town and they didn't have Cortland lines and that's how I started messing with Rio, SA and Airflo. Glad I did. Have an airflo line that's gotta be 25 years old. Still good as new.
Dear kray,

I got an AirFlo mono-core WF8F fly line as a gift around 1988. It was the strangest line I ever fished with. If stored for more than a day or two it coiled up like a damned Slinky. But once I started fishing with it, it immediately got amnesia and lost its memory. That line shot like you know what through a goose.

I used a lot of 444SL's and Lazer lines in the early 1990's and like you found out they didn't last. Then I figured out that size 13 studded Weinbrenner's would cut stainless steel. Once I stopped stepping on my fly lines, they started to last a lot longer. But they don't make 444SL or Lazer lines anymore, so I tried regular old 444's. They are squishier and can stand up to a cleated boot better for me!

YMMV

Armour All actually is very bad for PVC lines. I wouldn't recommend using that.😬

Interview with Simon Gawesworth from Rio Products on Sexyloops:

“How best to treat Rio Lines? What do you personally use (silicone spray? Armorall?)

"Never, ever use Armorall on a PVC fly line. It breaks down the bond and results in very poor durability. The line will dry out and harden with constant use of Armorall. We recommend a mild soapy water with a flannel to clean the line, then if you want to re-lubricate it, apply a 100% silicone, though very lightly. All PVC fly lines use silicone as a lubricant, so it is best to use the base ingredient to prolong the line's life."

Dear pcray,

Regards,

I love their Sylk line. It's all I use anymore.
🙂

Well, back then armour all was what we used. Didn't know any better and it really made the line fly out of the guides.
Airflo isn't PVC so insect repellent and sunscreen doesn't damage it.

Well, back then armour all was what we used.

Yeah, everybody was playing Armour 845s’s or Ping Eye 2’s. Cavity backs were cool back then. Only Tour level guys and spincasters played blades. Now everyone with a 20 handicap thinks they can hit a blade.

Wait, are you guys STILL talking about fly lines?

Yeah, everybody was playing Armour 845s’s or Ping Eye 2’s. Cavity backs were cool back then. Only Tour level guys and spincasters played blades. Now everyone with a 20 handicap thinks they can hit a blade.

Wait, are you guys STILL talking about fly lines?
Wait, I still swing Haig Ultras which are Wilson Staff blades from the old days, and my custom Persimmon woods still work when I swing right too!

But I don't play much anymore because I'm out of Titleist 100's that don't have any smiles on them, and down to Top Flite 100's and the synthetic cover just doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm old as .....!

Regards,

Last edited:
I literally did not know Airflo is undamaged by insect repellant. That, alone, makes me consider it.

Haig ultras? Crap you're old 🤣. I have hit those along with the Dave Hill, Tom kite and Jack Nicholas muirfield blades. The old McGregor VIPs were beautiful but no bigger than a golf ball.

Bamboo. When the 2009 recession hit, I sold off my bamboo fly rods. I fished fiberglass rods in the interim. Let's hear it for Echo rods, which makes excellent fiberglass and graphite rods at a moderate price. Last year, a sudden windfall (total luck) enabled me to get back into bamboo. I'll always fish, no matter which rod it is. But my bamboos have the feel, which helps the casting. And I can play fish much better with bamboo. My choice....

Back