Rock Bass

Fish Sticks

Fish Sticks

I can only really fish 8p-2-3am anymore cause of work and family. The past month I have gone out 5-6 times and I noticed despite temps below 30 I am getting a lot of rock bass that are taking quite aggressively and its a lot of fun with a 3wt.

Catching rock bass frequently at night is not a new phenomenon but i have been trying to target them past two weeks because of how oddly active they are in the cold it seems. I have been having a lot of success in stocked trout streams and medium to larger sized rivers.

Does anyone else target them on fly? I am guessing not many but was curious if so what watersheds, habitat types and techniques?

Haven't seen a rock bass in years. When I was a kid, you couldn't keep them off the line. At one time, think Mike has posted documentation reflecting the population decrease

Haven't seen a rock bass in years. When I was a kid, you couldn't keep them off the line. At one time, think Mike has posted documentation reflecting the population decrease
Oh jeeze i gotta find that wonder why. There are sure alot of em in these trout streams but their smaller. Wonder if they took a hit more down in susky or medium-large streams. Or if their pushing up stream a little and declining at same time.

I just went wading down a section of the yellow breeches last friday night with the flash light on in the slow lake like silty areas and they were all over but only 3-4” ones

I have noticed a decline in the Rock Bass populations here as well. I found that in a local cold water stream the rock bass appear to almost stack up every winter. The pool is about 1/2 mile upstream from the confluence with a larger warmer and fertile body if water. I don’t understand that movement. There is so much we don’t know especially when it comes to movement. I have wondered if I should be concerned for the Rock Bass decline. Are they native? I have noticed that if you open up any big walleye out of the river you will find rock bass. Most I found in the stomach of a 27”er was 7.

I believe larger rock bass are often harvested because they are easy to catch. The more heavily fished waters warm water streams I frequent have lower numbers and generally smaller size than in the past. In the larger rivers like Susky and Juniata, the growing flathead catfish population can’t be helping.

I have noticed a decline in the Rock Bass populations here as well. I found that in a local cold water stream the rock bass appear to almost stack up every winter. The pool is about 1/2 mile upstream from the confluence with a larger warmer and fertile body if water. I don’t understand that movement. There is so much we don’t know especially when it comes to movement. I have wondered if I should be concerned for the Rock Bass decline. Are they native? I have noticed that if you open up any big walleye out of the river you will find rock bass. Most I found in the stomach of a 27”er was 7.
I don’t think they are native to susky specifically but great lakes and some NY lakes I believe. There is a susky boat ramp with boulders where the rock bass always hide. If yours moved I wonder if the ones I was fishing for this sunmer are still there. Dang 27” walleye is a big fish. I often wonder if rock bass hunt at night more often at night for certain food items because i feel like alot of the trout streams if hit during day id never touch one then i took one night trip there and id hit 7-10.

I believe larger rock bass are often harvested because they are easy to catch. The more heavily fished waters warm water streams I frequent have lower numbers and generally smaller size than in the past. In the larger rivers like Susky and Juniata, the growing flathead catfish population can’t be helping.
Yea waiting for megan schalls study to be final published on the flatheads

Rock Bass are a indicator of good water quality.
Really? I had assumed the opposite but had no idea. Thats pretty cool. Lol maybe why more scarce these days than past in susky?

Very interesting that you are seeing numbers in those places and at this time of year. I have noticed I can catch them in the tributaries to Susquehanna but never in the actual river. 30 yrs ago you could catch big ones in there all over the place. I actually caught several PA citation size Rock Bass in the 1990s.I highly doubt their disappearance has anything to do with people eating them.

From a fly fishing standpoint their aggressiveness in the middle of the night when the guides are icing up is baffling but can be as fast paced as the action in summer time from some other fish species. And I have found them podded up and caught 7-10 in a row in wild and stocked trout streams like lititz run, brandywine, breeches and others where when i fish in the daytime nothing but trout and fall fish. I don’t know if they prefer night or if its just that i am trying to target them now, no clue.

Fly fishing at night in winter is pretty darn hard core.

Fly fishing at night in winter is pretty darn hard core.
Its just cause i have kids and its grown to make me like night fishing. I can only really ever get out after i do bed time with them. Its actually not bad at all. I rarely go in the water past my ankles and you can get real close to fish. And ya don’t have to go all night. Some times i will but sometimes if i only have 2 hours ill go for a short while. Its deff not the best time ti fish in winter its just whats left after work, kids, home projects ect.

Its nice too that i have NEVER seen anyone out there in winter. And once i call fishing quits looking around with the flashlight you find all kinds of cool things in trout streams. Also you learn alot about where fish position themselves at night.
F9F2D3F4 ADF4 4990 B3D6 BEC82C85F9F0

Used to catch a lot of them in the Conestoga. Haven’t seen one in a few years.

Used to catch a lot of them in the Conestoga. Haven’t seen one in a few years.
I have heard cocalico and Conestoga have a lot. I’d like to familiarize myself with those warm water streams so I can try day vs. night. I have done really well in the susky just jigging micro jig streamers off shoreline bolders at night too. All small fish like 3-4” range but fun on 3wt

Use to catch them all the time on the Conodoguinet. Now, I may catch a couple a year. On the other side, when I moved here 30+years ago, I never caught fall fish. Now, you can’t help but catch a few every time I go out.

Steve

Use to catch them all the time on the Conodoguinet. Now, I may catch a couple a year. On the other side, when I moved here 30+years ago, I never caught fall fish. Now, you can’t help but catch a few every time I go out.

Steve
The Conne is another one id love to explore for rock bass closer to the Susquehanna. I don’t know if thats where you mean’t. I want to check out access hoagestown to the mouth when i finally get w chance. I also love going for fall fish so it sounds like fun.

Back