Rio In Touch fly line

troutpoop

troutpoop

Has anyone tried this? In Touch? Is this new?
Last night I was checking the line on my favorite set up. I'm in need of new line. This will be almost exclusively for dry flies. I'm looking for the best floating fly line. Seems they all start sinking pretty quickly.
I've been reading online. It seems there is a camp for Rio, SA and a following for Airflow.
Suggestions and opinions appreciated.

Essentially the same line as Rio's "lesser" lines but with a non-stretch core. I have no idea how that affects the flotation. I just bought an In-Touch Gold WF6, we'll see how it performs. The rest of my lines are regular Rio Golds and they float fine, but like all lines they must be cleaned on a regular basis to keep them floating.

The line I'll be replacing is a Rio Gold and I got a few hard years out of it so I may replace with the same. I was looking for some opinions to see if there is something better out there??

TP,
How about a little more info..

Weight/ length/ flex of rod, intended use (short brushy waters, all arounder or med/big water).

Over the years, I've used Cortland, Rio, SA and one AirFlo. Each has good points. I've found textured lines shoot, mend and float better. They also pick up more dirt and make a lot is noise when casting.

While factoring in casting style, you may find gold works best all around on some rod types and a gpx or TT ambush works better on other types. I don't think you live very far from me and are welcome to demo any of the line I have. Depending on weight, I have gold, perception, sharkskin, gpx, expert distance and textured trout.

This particular line will be used mostly on the West Branch of the Delaware.
9ft 5 weight fast action CTS custom blank. The rod doesn't need a 1/2 size heavier to cast well.
I primarily will be throwing dries to spooky fish with plenty of casting room.
I'm an above average caster and suspect many targets will be >40' on the D.

Ahhh, one trip up there and you were hooked? LOL. It's like nothing else around here, that's for sure. Wait until you hit it 'just right'. You'll talk about that day for 30 years.

I've used gold and sharkskin up there for the last 10-12 years. No real issues with either. I'd have to give the nod to sharkskin for durability, flotation and mending. This year I've got other SA textured lines that I plan to try / use (tex trout, tex gpx and expert distance). With the type of casts and mending needed up there, textured trout from SA or sharkskin would be a good choice if you like to keep a lot of line in the air. Textured gpx if you're more of a line shooter. Any of those will float, feed and mend better than gold.

As for Catskills, there's nearly 100 miles of water up there.....don't pigeonhole yourself into a 3 mile section of the WB like most guys do. Fishing that area since 88 and have only scratched the surface. Look me up when you are heading up that way.

How do you like the CTS rod? Which one is it? affinity x? I've heard lots of good things about them but never have seen or cast one.

90% of the time I fish the U Del I fish either a dry fly or dry dropper. I never use any type of indicator there unless its a dry fly and I hardly ever swing wet flies or use a nymph rig besides dry dropper. Depending on what rod I use (usually a med action 9' 6wt but sometimes a med action 9' 5 wt) I use either Cortland Peach 444 DT6F or DT5F. I've used airflow ridge supple tactical wf6f, SA GPX wf6f and wf5f, but I prefer the Cortland line. The tip of the cortland line always sinks if I don't put some sort of treatment on it but I really like the way the line casts and mends.

When I use streamers there (which isn't often), I use a more aggressive taper like wulff ambush.

Thanks for the replies. I have two weeks already scheduled for trip to the D. Hopefully the water releases will be workable.

krayfish2, I will get you the dates I'll be up there. I think its the first week of June and the last week of July. I stay at the West Branch Angler because its convenient, they have a nice fly shop in case I need something and the pub has good food.

My CTS blank is an Affinity X. I like it more than any other stick I've ever thrown. My wife was looking to my me a 25 yr anniversary gift and told me to get the best rod available.
I asked a custom rod builder I know and he told me CTS. I have thrown Winston, Hardy, Sage, Loomis and Orvis. For my taste and casting this is my best stick. There are so many out there that are good though I think everyone can find a stick for what they want to spend.

Very good chance I'll be there for one if not both of them. I'll you h base with you closer to the dates.

The offer still stands if you want to demo any of the lines

I fish the in-touch perception. And the first time i used it was at junction pool on the mainstem hauling 40-50 foot casts. Line casts well. I also broke the line, might have been defective or my fault. Customer service was great though. Give it a go!

I, too, broke an in-touch line (WF5F) this year after a few dozen trips. I suspect the inflexible core is not well matched with the PVC coating (softer, flexible) and the two separate.

I'm going to spring for an Orvis textured line to see how that goes.

If you want a no stretch core, look to airflo. They've been doing it much longer than Rio and they don't use PVC for their lines. I have not heard any complain about their lines.

Jeez. I've never heard of, or considered, breaking a fly line.

Back