Rio fly line warranty

F

fisherboy3

So i got a new reel over the summer and matched it with the new Rio Perception line. Fishing yesterday took a cast and the line just broke right before the thicker head. Not really any serious nics or anything. Anyone know what their warranty is? Only used the line maybe 5 times. I emailed the, but no response yet.

That's really unusual. I'd have to think you stepped on it or it was pinched between the reel and spool. If it just broke cleanly during use with no prior damage, that's a serious defect. I've got full faith that Rio will handle things for you. I know you emailed but I'd suggest a call on Monday.

I think it may have gotten caught in the spool. Not sure if they will just say too bad, i mean a fly line shouldnt break that easily after using it 5 times.

Just call, tell them it broke while using it and let them determine the next step. If you're a big Rio fan, convey that as well. I'm guessing they'll have you mail it back and send you a new one.

Their customer service is top notch. The will most likely tell you to ship it back and then replace it for you. I had some Rio Grand that had cracking prematurely and they replaced it no problem.

Alright hopefully. Fall hasnt been too good to me so far, fishing has been good minues my brand new line breaking, and my simms waders leaking.

I had a Rio Gold break in half on me last January while fishing. I originally bought the line from TCO. They just took care of it for me. I think the cold water did something to the line to have it separate. Ice could have also caused the problem.

Ron

pretty hard for a fly line with a braided core just to break. normally it has been pinched or cut to snap clean. fly lines are 35 lb. test cores. solid mono might be different though since it is a solid core

I bought the perception last summer and only got a few months out of it before the loop broke and then when I checked it more closely I found 4 places where it was cracking. I emailed rio and they told me to send it in for inspection. It took a few weeks, maybe a month before they sent me a new one. I put the new line on a reel but I haven't used my 5 wt much this year. Maybe just the perception line? Or a bad batch of perception lines? I have a trout LT line about a year and a half old and it's fine.

welded loops are crap. they are only attached with heat there is no braid inside connected to anything. its just pvc heated. I cut them off and tie a nail knot to the end with mono then make a loop. I also seal the end of the fly line to keep water out.

sandfly wrote:
welded loops are crap. they are only attached with heat there is no braid inside connected to anything. its just pvc heated. I cut them off and tie a nail knot to the end with mono then make a loop. I also seal the end of the fly line to keep water out.
I agree with sandfly. I cut them off and tie my leader on with a nail knot. I also don't care for loops because they add bulk to the connection. A nail knot IMO cuts the air with less resistance.

I went back to Rio Gold. I really don't care for the Perception Line.

Sandfly - I never had a line completely break on me. That was a first for me and don't know what to make of it. After TCO and Rio's review they found it faulty but never told me what happened.

Ron

Kev,
What happened? Did you call ands what did they say?

I never even had to call. They emailed me Monday morning(last week) and said to send it back for inspection/replacement. Problem solved very quickly. They will see that the line was in great condition.

Sent the line out 2 weeks ago, and received the brand new replacement today. Great service, i am very happy.

Excellent. Figured they'd fix ya up.

Just sent my Perception back. DeAnn is the person I dealt with and she rocks. Always a fast turnaround too.

Back