Ridiculous / funny fishing stories......

PCray should thank God for the cold water - since size really did make a difference :)

One of my funniest was probably 2 years ago while fishing on the Oak Orchard for kings. We were set up at the old trestles just below the waterport dam. Right at about daylight a group of 5 or 6 guys sets up directly across the stream from us, one of which was rather drunk for such an early hour. We figured we were in for a nightmare of a day with this idiot right across the stream from us, however he turned out to be a decent guy to fish around. Other than him being pretty vulgar and loud and obnoxious, he was a good enforcer of stream etiquette, just in a very loud and obnoxious manner lol. Anyways, this dude was saying funny crap all day and had us laughing, but the absolute funniest moment had to be when the fish wardens came.

As anyone who fishes the Oak knows, below the yellow rope at the dam you are required to wear a life jacket while on power company property. Well, ol' drunkie had one, but it was one of the big orange foam ones, and he wasn't wearing it.

The warden comes down and gives the guy a warning for not having it on and explains that he has to wear it at all times. Well, he puts it on, so now he is fishing with this giant orange thing around his neck(which was pretty funny in itself, but it only gets better). The warden climbs back up the hill and stays for awhile and watches this guy since it was pretty obvious that he was slightly intoxicated. About 10 minutes go buy after the warning and the guy slips on a rock and falls, and falls hard, face first into the stream. After he gets back to his feet he looks back up at the warden and says "Thank God I had my f#$^%@g life jacket on!"

There is a slight pause by the warden before he just busts out laughing, and everyone else followed suit. Ive never laughed so hard while fishing as I did that day

As a kid we used to carp fish the warm water outflow from Bruner's Island power plant quite a bit. Some monsters in there that were loads of fun to catch. My dad invited his buddy from NJ to join us once. He was and is a character, chain smoking Italian from North Jersey with the vocabulary you'd expect from a sailor. We warned him that the hits were ferocious. Being mostly a salt fisherman he had borrowed his son's new spinning rod for the excursion.

We fished a good bit and caught some hefty carp. He set his rod down to light a cig and it immediately disappeared in a trail of bubbles with a fish on. He stood in amazement, cig dangling from his lip and unleashed a torrent of obscenities that taught me some new words. We all laughed until we nearly p'd ourselves.

First big bass I remember catching as a kid. Cast a crank bait over a tree branch as I tried to work the line out of the tree when a bass slammed the lure and I ended up reeling a 4 lber over the branch and back into the water without a snag. I had only ever caught bluegills and perch until that time and had to go get my uncle to confirm it was a bass. Might of been the first time I fished lures too.

Once at the lower fly zone in altmar NY ,The dam whistle blew and I yelled oh my god the rivers on the rise run for your lives.Three guys went running for the bank The water came up 2 inches.One of the four almost died from laughing at his buddys and gave me a thumbs up.Kinda mean but just couldn't help myself.

Once while drifting for fluke in Barnegat Bay our Sears Gamefisher motor (we called it the deserter) conked out and we were forced to anchor. A drifting boat hooked our anchor line and while getting it free I noticed they had a small fluke still on the hook. I got it free and announced they had a fish to which the "angler" replied,"well I'll be dipped in----; slang for excrement. My brother and I both cracked up. We managed to row back in safely against a pretty good tide.

Bass fishing and had my line in the water while I was getting a drink out. My rod was on the bank and boom a catfish took my fly and ran with it.... Never saw that rod again. I even jumped in

I was peacefully standing there minding my own business when I started hearing a hissing noise below. I looked down and there was this snake fishing in the same local. I guess I was intruding.

I remember fishing on the seawall at the Naval Academy when a squid on a morning run asked us what we were catching.

"Couple perch, and hardheads, but not nearly as much as the hell you're going to catch."

Damned if I wasn't right. Chief chewed the plebe out on the spot.

We were laughing so hard in the boat about fifty feet away.

duckfoot wrote:
Peeing off the bow of the boat while making the turn in the river to a yachtful of pretty girls.

Throwing an anchor overboard without tying the rope on.

Having a guy lose his wallet going after a fish, never seen again. Ten minutes later found, folded over an outrigger line off the back of the boat.

Probably the best, by far, was my grandfather's friend. He showed up at the fish show in Harrisburg drunk. Fell into a stand of lures and everyone spent close to an hour picking lures out of his sweater. After that, he, of all people, got chosen out of the audience by the bass guy to come up to the fish tank for the casting demo, to which he fell in the fish tank. Everyone is laughing (except the pro) because they thought it was part of the show. For the rest of the day he walked around the show with that wet shoe sound...

One of the guys floating with me Friday on the main stem put his anchor in without tying it to the rope on his pontoon.

Jessed wrote:

"Bass fishing and had my line in the water while I was getting a drink out. My rod was on the bank and boom a catfish took my fly and ran with it.... Never saw that rod again. I even jumped in"

Well, so much for Kenyan speed.

Kenyan speed doesn't help swimming .. LOL

I was fishing the little j today. Landed a nice rainbow on a sulphur emerger and it was deep hooked. Went to the bank to set my rod down and get pliers. I grasped the hook shank with the pliers not realizing that my flyline got pulled by the current into the cutting part of the jaws. Cut my flyline in half about 10 feet from my leader connection. I ended up blood knotting it and kept fishing. Was able to catch about 12 more fish on dries though which was cool.

Saw a beaver swim too close to a huge smallmouth guarding a redd and they had an underwater staredown for a few seconds before the big bass swam up and bit the beaver on the nose. Beaver got out of there fast lol.

One year in early March I went for a walk to my neighbor's ~half acre pond. It was frozen with a thin layer of ice around the deep half of the pond, from the bank extending about 20-30 feet out toward the middle. A muskrat on the dam saw me coming, ran down the bank, hit the ice and slid across that whole width of ice into the open water. I swear when that animal hit the ice, it was like it hit a speed boost in a racing video game!

Just recently I was fishing with my dad. He was using a woolly bugger and drew a hard hit from a pretty big brookie. Set the hook hard, and didn't stick the fish. It happened to be the last hole of the day, so he started getting ready to leave. When he went to put the fly on the hook keeper on the rod, he found out why he missed that fish - the hook was broken off!! Thinking back, he said it probably had happened 20 minutes before when he hit a rock several times on the backcast.

I was fishing the gunpowder river a number of years ago when I noticed a helicopter circling over head in a continuous pattern. I continued to head closer to the spill way when I saw a dive rescue team in place. Turns out some drunk moron decided to get out of his boat in the reservoir and walk along the spillway, of course he fell and slid some 150 feet down on his #censor#. He became stuck on the ledge at the very base with most of the skin peeled off his butt. They shut the water off completely(which ruined my fishing day) and they air lifted him out. I took a few pictures knowing no one would believe me. The first picture you can see the idiot on the bottom of the spillway while the helicopter lowers a rescue unit to pick him up and fly him off. The second picture is the water turned off after ems had left, it was amazing to see all the fish start bolting down river as the water got lower and lower.

imagejpeg_3_12.jpg

imagejpeg_2_105.jpg

Ryan's takes the cake

Not that crazy, but kinda cool. Happened to me just this Wednesday at the jam.

Fishing Penns. Bank riser at like 5 or 6 o'clock on a cloudy day. Switchin flies on him to no avail. After one switch, I Ginked up the new fly, then dropped my bottle of Gink in the drink.

Buddy (Aducker) is about 150 yards downstream, right in line. I holler for him to grab it when it gets there. But it's a slow current, gonna be a bit, so I cast in the meantime. Fish took the new fly first cast (cut-wing thorax sulpher, which would prove the hot ticket all jam long). Landed a hefty 15-17" Penns brownie.

Aducker noticed the commotion of the fight and comes up to take a pic. After the release, I ask him if he got the floatant. "No man, I missed it". Aww jeez. Rest of the evening's gonna suck tryin to keep things floatin.

I turn around, and low and behold, a bottle of floatant comin right for me from upstream. Same brand. Full bottle. And the Penns Creek God's were with me on this day....

I realize Penns makes a big horseshoe curve in that area, but I didn't realize it completed the circle!!!!

Hook_Jaw wrote:

Ryan's takes the cake

I agree!

Somebody falls over the front of a 150 foot high dam? It's remarkable that the guy wasn't killed.
Maybe being drunk helped him to not get too busted up?

Fishing Elk Creek (Erie Co.) a number of years, just below the bridge on Elk Park road and upstream from the tubes, in conditions just a little bit below blow-out. That year, I wasn't sure if I would make it up to Erie, so I hadn't purchased a Lake Erie stamp at the beginning of the year, but I was on the stream with my one-hour old Erie stamp. I had my license pinned to my hat and just had this sense of a slight lightening of the weight on my head and enough presence to look down and see my plastic license holder begin floating downstream in the torrent. I ran after it into the pool below, but the downstream flow kept it going. I was more than a little dejected - conditions were already poor, I had just bought the stamp, and it was gone and I wasn't catching any fish. I decided to work my way downstream anyway (yes, I was technically fishing without a license, at least in my immediate possession). I was maybe a half of a mile downstream from the bridge and the high flows had submerged the floodplain, which had tufts of grass and weeds growing out of them at places. On one of the tufts, I saw a bit of trash, and that piece of trash turned out to be my plastic license holder with my license in it!

A couple of nightfishing encounters were interesting.

The first involved me fishing a pool on a small stream before dark. I had a larger brown chase after my retrieve and could see the beautiful red outlined on his tail. It was a once and done chase, since he didn't show after that. Went back to the car, hydrated (or dehydrated, depending on how you look at it), until dark set in for awhile. Went back to the pool, which was bounded on the top by a downed log and below that, the far bank was a long undercut root system. Made some casts, and had some perceived interest in my mouse, given the number of splashes I was hearing. But every reactionary hookset yielded no fish. Eventually, I did hook up with a fish and when I flipped my light on to help navigate the fish to shore, I noticed a large brown shape with a black tail dive under the water. Turns out I was probably casting most of the time to one very large beaver and that would have been a heck of a fight on an any weight rod.

Another time, I was fishing Spring Creek at night. I've had fish bump against me in the night (probably suckers most of the time) but on this night, something of wider girth swam right through my legs, bumping into them in the process. I whirled around upstream, flipped my light on and saw one frightened muskrat scoot on upstream, away from my beam

Turns out I was probably casting most of the time to one very large beaver and that would have been a heck of a fight on an any weight rod.

I actually hooked one once!

Bait fishin days. Tionesta Creek. Swingin minnies. My brother was fishing 30 yards or so downstream of me.

Rod just doubles over and line takes off downstream taking drag in a smooth, steady, unstoppable sort of way. Big fish? A few seconds later my brother hollers "Beaver! Swimming downstream".

Figuring it out, my 4 lb test and ultralight rig just wasn't gonna get it done, lol. I just pointed the rod at it, grabbed the line, and snap. Hope he was alright. I'm quite confident he was foul hooked anyway.

Back