Resica Falls Boy Scout Reservation

G

GStan

Is the Resica Falls boy scout reservation still in existence along the Big Buskill Creek? I haven't been there in a long, long while. Just curious.

Was there fishing all by myself last summer Broadhead is better though down around The old penn hills resort

IMHO, the current camp management isn't that interested in managing the fishery. However, you can still fish there and plenty of fish are stocked at convenient spots - they are not spread around as much as in past years. Went there in 2020 and place was closed for covid.

I went there often in the past, but haven't been there in almost 4 years.

Despite being just a hit or miss stocked fishery, it is one of those places that puts a smile on my face because it's so beautiful and holds so many fond memories.

As JeffK said, the fish are not spread out like in years past but with almost zero help, Nick the ranger and his small staff do what they can just to keep the place open.

We fished it in the dead of winter with a few feet of fresh snow on the ground a few years back. I think I saw one trout, and we hiked/waded a good portion of it. had to fish it on our knees and slowly inch out on the ice shelf. 3 of us ended the day with nada. Lots of bear tracks though.

That's dedication right there!

Bear tracks? Shouldn't they have been hibernating?

We fished it in the dead of winter with a few feet of fresh snow on the ground a few years back. I think I saw one trout, and we hiked/waded a good portion of it. had to fish it on our knees and slowly inch out on the ice shelf. 3 of us ended the day with nada. Lots of bear tracks though.
I don't know where you were fishing, but the area between Little Falls & Resica Falls, with the exception of a few pools just below Little Falls really doesn't get stocked like it used to in the past because of a lack of help. If you were fishing in the stretch above Route 402, that may explain your lack of results. The stream also warms up a bit so holdover potential is on the low side.

The area above Little Falls known as as "Cool Dip" gets stocked heavily as does the Piano Pool & Chapel Pool. The bottom line is if there isn't an access road down to the creek, don't expect to find a lot of fish in the "off season."

This map may help.

I don't know where you were fishing, but the area between Little Falls & Resica Falls, with the exception of a few pools just below Little Falls really doesn't get stocked like it used to in the past because of a lack of help. If you were fishing in the stretch above Route 402, that may explain your lack of results. The stream also warms up a bit so holdover potential is on the low side.

The area above Little Falls known as as "Cool Dip" gets stocked heavily as does the Piano Pool & Chapel Pool. The bottom line is if there isn't an access road down to the creek, don't expect to find a lot of fish in the "off season."

This map may help.

We pulled up to the boy scout place. Paid them a few bucks, and they let us fish it. We started at the big falls and worked downstream. Probably explains the lack of fish.

Back