recommendations for beginner

nOObmaster

i am from NEPA. do spin fishing every summer. looking to get into fly fishing. SMB and trout. Preferably a 6wt. after looking around narrowed down few combos. orvis clearwater outfit, sage foundation outfit. should i get a combo or build one like TFO blue ribbon, lamson reel etc.

A 6 wt is a little heavy for some trout fishing, what kind of smb fishing are you doing? If large creeks and smaller rivers I may suggest you get a 9' 5wt. Midway USA has Redington path setups on-sale for like $99 right now, although reviews suggest you may need a new line.

A 6 wt is a little heavy for some trout fishing, what kind of smb fishing are you doing? If large creeks and smaller rivers I may suggest you get a 9' 5wt. Midway USA has Redington path setups on-sale for like $99 right now, although reviews suggest you may need a new line.

delaware and lackawaxen rivers. i live like 5 minutes away from both of those rivers.

^^^^^^^
Start with a 5 weight. It shouldn't wear you out and can pull in even a big bass or trout. 9' is good but an 8' rod is enough for smaller water and can still be used on a river (you may need to wade a little closer though).

delaware and lackawaxen rivers. i live like 5 minutes away from both of those rivers.
Given where you will be fishing, a 9' 6wt would probably be your best choice of rod. The Lackawaxen is a stocked stream and decent trout fishing would likely be only in April and May since it warms quickly. The Delaware River in your area can be fished in the early spring for shad and June right through the fall for smallies. A 6wt for those smallies and shad in a big river would be best for most of the fishing you plan to do.

As far as the rod brand, all of the choices you listed would work. I believe Orvis Clearwater rod outfits are on sale right now. It is a quality rod, reel and line, includes a rod case and also has a really good guarantee.

Good luck!

Agreed with AFish, for the streams you are most interested in a 6wt is likely a good choice.

I fish for shad in your neck of woods with a 9ft 5 wt. Never had a problem. I think it should be fine for any trout or bass you expect to catch.

Thanks everyone, went with 5wt and ordered this. i will go to a local fly shop and ask them to put together a beginner's fly fishing kit/box just to get me going and learn along the way.

6 weight all the way. Buy whatever you can afford. I wouldn't worry too much about make/model, but don't make it a total piece of junk.

My first fly rod was a White River Dogwood Canyon 6 weight. It was certainly functional. I still have it. That is a Bass Pro house brand.

My first was a Fenwick 7 wt. Had a Medalist 1495 reel. I still have both. Replaces the Pflueger reel with a Scientific Angler's built by Hardy. I still have that one too.

Based on the OP's post above it's too late, but I also vote 6wt because it will cast a much wider range of fly sizes & weights with ease and is therefore more of an "all around" rod than a 5wt.

Of course if the 5wt rod is a 5wt rod in name only and it actually needs a fly line 1/2 to 1 size heavier to get it to flex, it's a moot point... 😉

Regardless, a lot of folks these days are terrified of anything heavier than a 5wt for trout and think a 6wt is too heavy and not "technical" enough which is total nonsense. Heck, Orvis peddled an 8'3" 7wt called the "All Rounder" way back in the 1980's and most trout fishermen plying bamboo & fiberglass used 6 & 7wts successfully and many still do including me.

One of my first rods was the 8'6" 6wt graphite Orvis Limestone Special. It was my go-to rod everywhere including the Letort where I STILL prefer a 6wt. I also fished that Limestone Special at all of the SC limestoners, the Poconos and the famous Catskill streams, not to mention at the NYC reservoirs and other places for bass and panfish.

Regardless of my preferences, I hope nOObmater enjoys the new outfit!

Thanks everyone, went with 5wt and ordered this. i will go to a local fly shop and ask them to put together a beginner's fly fishing kit/box just to get me going and learn along the way.

Good plan. Never hurts to test drive it on the lawn behind the tackle shop.

Based on the OP's post above it's too late, but I also vote 6wt because it will cast a much wider range of fly sizes & weights with ease and is therefore more of an "all around" rod than a 5wt.

Of course if the 5wt rod is a 5wt rod in name only and it actually needs a fly line 1/2 to 1 size heavier to get it to flex, it's a moot point... 😉

Regardless, a lot of folks these days are terrified of anything heavier than a 5wt for trout and think a 6wt is too heavy and not "technical" enough which is total nonsense. Heck, Orvis peddled an 8'3" 7wt called the "All Rounder" way back in the 1980's and most trout fishermen plying bamboo & fiberglass used 6 & 7wts successfully and many still do including me.

One of my first rods was the 8'6" 6wt graphite Orvis Limestone Special. It was my go-to rod everywhere including the Letort where I STILL prefer a 6wt. I also fished that Limestone Special at all of the SC limestoners, the Poconos and the famous Catskill streams, not to mention at the NYC reservoirs and other places for bass and panfish.

OP calls himself a beginner and you want to talk overlining? 😉
Also, if anyone starts out with the "perfectest" flyrod, what will encourage supplemental rod purchases? 😊
That said, my middle son has fished with an 8', 5 weight for most of his life. I'm working on a 9', 6 weight for him as requested.

I fish 6wt rods all the time especially on larger waters. Better in wind and the added mass makes mending easier. There is a big difference between a 6wt Scott G and a Sage Ignitor but they are still 6wt rods but can require different line profiles.
I have a Orvis 7wt all rounder I bought at Jacklins shop in MT years ago. It was marked down after Labor Day that year. I now cast that rod with a 6.5wt line.
The 6wt for me is more versatile but I use 5wts a lot. The Clearwater is a fairly stout rod.

I'll suggest you find a place with room (lake, pond, big pool on the Lackawaxen) where you think you might be able to entice some sunnies and practice there instead.

Lawn casting helps, but grass is nothing like water and IF you manage to fool a few fish, you'll have a blast and get in the swing of things quicker.

Have fun!!

The Lack is a large river that holds Trout, Bass, Shad, Walleye, Panfish, Stripers..... fish move in from the Delaware. The 6wt is a good first rod for that river and the Delaware. You might be using poppers, streamers, nymphs or dry flies. Flows vary also due to releases.

The Lack is a large river that holds Trout, Bass, Shad, Walleye, Panfish, Stripers..... fish move in from the Delaware. The 6wt is a good first rod for that river and the Delaware. You might be using poppers, streamers, nymphs or dry flies. Flows vary also due to releases.

lackawaxen lot of private property. i need to get some waders for late season fishing. for now wet wading will do. rivers are fast moving and water is high due to wallenpaupack water getting dumped. i will give it a few days. i can practice in shohola reservoir in the interim.

Back