Purple Soft Hackle (for Isonychia / Slate Drake)

T

tctrout

For those of you who like to fish Central PA as much as me, here's one that is tough to go without. The "Purple Soft Hackle" was introduced to me by Eric Stroup and Skip Galbraith, and hasn't left my box since. In this video, I show how to tie the pattern, and then discuss the various methods used to fish it, from early summer to fall.

Any additional thoughts or techniques used for Iso's are welcome!

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVW4zJlhbus[/youtube]

Very nice video. Kept me interested until the end! I like that you tie these in larger sizes and you are using larger tippet (3x). I've been on this kick where I keep tying soft hackle flies smaller and smaller. Someone needed to stop me before I'm tying size 20 soft hackles!!! I'm going to jump back to tying 10s and 12s like you suggested and I will try this fly. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words, and the Fall Iso's are about ready to start in the NE PA area (many who fish WB and EB of Delaware are gearing up for them soon).

By the way, I Have nothing against smaller soft hackles, and love them, too. This just happens to be a fly that performs really well in the larger sizes, thus be sure to let me know how you do with them.

TC

bigslackwater wrote:
Very nice video. Kept me interested until the end! I like that you tie these in larger sizes and you are using larger tippet (3x). I've been on this kick where I keep tying soft hackle flies smaller and smaller. Someone needed to stop me before I'm tying size 20 soft hackles!!! I'm going to jump back to tying 10s and 12s like you suggested and I will try this fly. Thanks!

Back