Protection on the water

Quote:

tomitrout wrote:
What are the odds of something actually happening

What are the odds of winning the lottery? yet millions still play..If something CAN happen, why shouldn't one be prepared for it, regardless of chance.

Well, I'm happy with my odds of never running into nefarious activities out in the woods, nor am I concerned about bear attack in PA, so I don't pack heat.

I also don't kit up in my NASCAR fire suit & helmet when I drive to work or across town to the store or stream. I also don't dress in full protective leather when I go afor a bicycle ride, because you never know. Nor do I blah, blah, blah....how far you wanna take it?

I don't fear for my life when I leave my house. I'm not scared of a potential boogyman around every dark corner, lurking in the shadows, it's just not my constitution. If you wanna take that as me calling ya'll a bunch of scaredy cats, fine. I see more risk by carrying than going without. I don't fully understand the mindset and that's my opinion and last I checked we're still allowed to have those.

"I see more risk by carrying than going without" ????????

What risk is there if you have a gun with you and nothing happens?

Bet the murdered church congregation went to church thinking nothing was going to happen. I'm even willing to bet that at least one of them had a can of pepper spray.

I rarely carry a gun but I always have one available in my home. Which is kind of ironic since its the place I feel the safest. If others want to carry 24/7 it's of no concern to me. It's there right just as its my right not to. If they carry because of snakes, bears, crackheads, or whatever who am I to judge their fears. I'm afraid of lightning. If I thought carrying a gun would protect me from lightning believe me I would carry 24/7. If you have a fear of doing something harmful with a gun when absolutely nothing happens then don't carry a gun but also don't make light of others fears.

I often think about carrying because of the random extreme violence that occurs somewhere on a dailey basis but I guess it hasn't hit close enough to home yet. I'm glad I have the choice though.

I can't speak for another member, but, I interpret tomi's argument, when concealed carry is brought up, to mean the gun is used unwarranted (trigger happy) or forcibly taken and used against the carrier.

First off, I believe law abiding citizens should be allowed to carry a gun wherever they don't feel safe.

That said, I think people carrying protection weapons while fishing (or any activity in the "scary" woods) is up there with hunting for bigfoot or preparing for a zombie attack.

A meteor could come crashing down in the woods of PA while Im out on a stream, does that mean I have to be prepared for that? How do you prepare for a meteor strike?

Chaz wrote:
A meteor could come crashing down in the woods of PA while Im out on a stream, does that mean I have to be prepared for that? How do you prepare for a meteor strike?

One can only assume it must involve guns...

S&W model 69 - .44 mag.

Repels snakes, bears and other noxious creatures.

By having a gun with me, I exponentially increase the risk of 'something happening.' Accidents happen, mindsets change when that part of the equation is there...make your own choices, I'll make mine.

Just as I'll tell you that if you tie on a greenweenie, you may as well be using Powerbait...

tomitrout wrote:
By having a gun with me, I exponentially increase the risk of 'something happening.' Accidents happen, mindsets change when that part of the equation is there...make your own choices, I'll make mine.
Respectfully and absolutely disagree. I am in complete and absolute control of my firearm on my person at all times.

If you do not feel like you are in control or cannot maintain control, don't carry. (I think that's what you're saying, and I can agree with that!)

The subject was "protection on the water".
White clay creek,Letort,YB....I would be a little leery of someone packing a big iron[or little one] on those waters.
Alaska,other places where real danger exists and help might be a loooong way off. Different scenario.
Lets avoid snide remarks and take that into account.

tomitrout wrote:

Just as I'll tell you that if you tie on a greenweenie, you may as well be using Powerbait...
I don't see the correlation.

I have never felt the utility of carrying a firearm anywhere in the world, but for anyone who does feel the need, it is their right.

Okay you are in Montana or Wyoming---you get the urge to get away from the crowds and explore one of the hundreds of gems that might only see a handful of anglers a year. You go back in alone-maybe in 50 miles or so of Yellowstone .You slip and fall,break a leg,cut yourself and have to lay there for a day or two until help comes. Night comes and the black bears,mountain lions,wolves,coyotes,maybe grizs and other flesh eaters are on the prowl and smelling blood and you are going to do what?
Or like me who mostly let the dudes and flatlanders have the fishing during the summer, saved your fishing for the better times when the water was low and clear and FAR more fun to fish and climbed mountains during the summer,alone. You get hurt and have to wait a day or two[and nights].
Aside being a nut for going alone[far better to relate to nature] it seemed to make sense to a have a firearm for protection and signaling and a sharp knife to operate on yourself if needed.
But I will concede after reading some of these posts I was a chicken hearted weeny ,gun nut,and born loser for feeling that way.
Just having fun here but as they say in real estate.Location,location,location.Don't be so quick to pass judgment until you have been in the other fellows hiking boots or waders.lol

I carry

While I don't fear black bears. . .yuh gotta give this one some credit for spooking the kids at Lehigh Univ (not that there's anything wrong with Lehigh). :cool:
Fortunately, he wasn't shot.

Bear at College Party

I also carry depending on the location.

I carry for a couple of reason:

1) being handicapped and not very strong anymore, I feel vulnerable

2) I have encountered two critters of which I'm pretty sure were rabid (a raccoon and a yote)

3) you can generally scare off a bear with a gun that has a loud report

4) the thought of coming across the wrong person

If a bear charges you, good luck if you think you can draw, aim, lead and fire hitting a vital area. I carry a Taurus 22 mag 8 shot stainless steel snubby revolver. The first 2 rounds are shot shells. That way I can shoot in just about any direction without concern of hitting someone. The energy dissipates quickly. And that gun is surprisingly loud. I also carry a whistle around my neck.

Normally my wife is with me when I fish. And she carries a spray bottle filled with ammonia. It shoots a stream about 8 or so feet. They don't like ammonia; when we sit on our cabin deck (aptly named the bear pen) and if one gets closer that we feel comfortable with, I spray and they get the message. A game commission officer also told us to keep hornet and wasp spray handy - the kind that is capable of shooting a 20' stream. I also have a shotgun handy, and that bang sends them running.

About 30 years ago, I was walking along Cross Fork Creek and there was a very large boar standing across the creek. And he stared me down and didn't move. I made minimal eye contact and I slowly walked away, just glancing back a few times. The young woman who was attacked multiple times last year while jogging in Michigan made the mistake of running.

We have an over abundance of bears on our mountain (which is located off Kettle Creek), and the problem is people who feed them. It is unnerving to have a bear step up on the porch while we are sitting on the deck, and if you do not disperse them, they will walk right up and take your food from you. And we had a sow with mange last year who tried 3 times on night to get in our door. We called her "white face" because she scratched most of the hair from her face. My wife freaked out when I was looking out the door window while white face was leaning on the door, looking in. Our eyes were less than a foot apart.

The scariest encounter I ever had happened last September on a rainy, misty evening. We were sitting on the porch around 9:30 and heard a loud crash in the woods right below our cabin. My wife said "what was that"? I told her it was either a bear or a large branch fell. No ten seconds later a large boar ran full tilt right at me (I was sitting at the edge of the porch, which is less than 2' above the ground). At that moment I thought I was a goner. But he blew right past me and kept going. I could have reached out and touched him Like a blur. My wife dumped her drink all over herself and ran in the cabin. Then I heard a sound below the cabin and knew right away what happened: The bear that ran past me tangled with another larger boar, and lost. So I got my shotgun and fired a round overhead in both directions. My heart still raises a beat when I think about that moment.

I carry.

Someone commented about carry on the Letort, Yellow Breeches, etc.

I feel the need, more specifically, when fishing remote mountain streams. Its easy to identify a car close to a stream as a likely fisherman - which makes you easier to locate. And being remote, someone could think they could commit their act with lesser fear of being observed.

People can differ on the threat level that this poses, but it enters my mind.

Outsider, your area is exactly where I had in mind when I talked about idiots who think its cool to feed bears and bait them up to their camps. Just crazy dangerous and crazy dumb.

Back