Private party stockie list..... Where is it?

There are many private commercial hatcheries that people buy trout from. That is almost certainly where the fire company buys trout for their fundraising tournament. The list you are looking at is just for coop hatcheries, which are run by sportsmens clubs. I'm pretty sure they are prohibited from selling any trout.

The "wrong county" situation may be because the PFBC databases sometimes list streams by the county where the mouth of the stream is located which can be a long way downstream of the trout water on the stream.
I will say this with 99.9% certainty.....the stream listed under the wrong county exists entirely within one county. If I am wrong about that, it would be the smallest portion of headwaters for maybe one of the two "branches" of this stream. The mouth, along with 99.9% of the creek, would be in the county not listed.

Also, the fish are "bought" from a sportsman club that is not even that close to the actual sportsman club. This has been happening my whole life. This is the only stocking on this stream. It is not stocked by the PFBC or anyone else. If you say fish can't be bought, and you might be right, then I would say that a donation is made to the sportsman club with the request that they stock fish in this particular stream/place.

And you're telling me buying fish from a private hatchery and stocking them is not regulated at all? This tournament is a pretty big deal and a wonderful fundraiser for the fire company that puts it on. I understand that vounteer fire companies are struggling and they are vital part to our rural communities. They stock "money fish" in a several mile stretch of Kish and this really brings in the people from out of town. It really is a boon to the local economy as hotels get booked, bars and restaurants see more traffic, etc, but boy does Kish take a beating for that weekend. People out the wazoo, litter, fishing line left behind, beer cans....you know, the usual.
No rules! buy em and chuck em!!

Its the…

The Tournament on Kish should have a special activities permit from PFBC.

Speaking of special activities permits would any rule stop 100 friends from having an on stream get together on opening day on a small stocked class B stream and selectively harvesting stocked trout out of it as quickly as possible for conservation reasons?

After perusing that list some more I will say this. I can only find ONE stream listed that is in Mifflin County. That is West Licking Creek and it is stocked by the Newton Wayne Sportsman Club. I knew that one.

But, I know of another creek that is stocked locally by residents (where they get the fish, I don't know) and it is not on that list. Another example of private, unregulated stocking..

After perusing that list some more I will say this. I can only find ONE stream listed that is in Mifflin County. That is West Licking Creek and it is stocked by the Newton Wayne Sportsman Club. I knew that one.

But, I know of another creek that is stocked locally by residents (where they get the fish, I don't know) and it is not on that list. Another example of private, unregulated stocking..
Id be willing to bet that with allt he springs their raising em in secret in farm ponds out there. That happens alot in schaefferstown near me

One land owenr said he wanted a “stream project” to fix his trout farm pond from storm damage lol.you Can imagine what i told him

This map shows the "section" of each stream that is stocked. Does anyone know where there is a map which shows these streams by section? How does a person know where Section 1 or 2 or 3, etc. is located?

There's a few creeks on that CNU list that I wish weren't stocked, especially stocked with brook trout as there are actual native populations in there.

This map shows the "section" of each stream that is stocked. Does anyone know where there is a map which shows these streams by section? How does a person know where Section 1 or 2 or 3, etc. is located?

If you select your county of interest, it shows the upper/lower limit of each section, of the PFBC stocked streams. Obviously if a club stocks a stream that isn't stocked by PFBC it wouldn't be on there.

Last edited:
There's a few creeks on that CNU list that I wish weren't stocked, especially stocked with brook trout as there are actual native populations in there.

If you select your county of interest, it shows the upper/lower limit of each section, of the PFBC stocked streams. Obviously if a club stocks a stream that isn't stocked by PFBC it wouldn't be on there.
Although you can deduce where some sections are. If Section 02 is stocked but the PFBC and Section 01 is listed for a co-op, then you know that they stock upstream from the PFBC section. Likewise to some extent for Section 03 in my example, but you don’t know the downstream limit of Section 03. One other helpful note is that Sections are generally at least 3 km in length, or very close to 2 mi. (3.2 km). Also if the PFBC stocks Sections 02 and 04, then you also know the upper and lower limits of Section 03 if a co-op is listed as stocking Section 03. Something similar to that scenario I think occurs on the EBr Brandywine.

That's the absolute worst-case scenario. PFBC brook trout might not be the best suited for survival in the wild, but some of the brook trout from private hatcheries are. I know a few places in the western half of the state that get stocked with some private brook trout that seem to be reproducing w/ wild brook trout in the wild.

The stocking authorization may fix this IF it's enforced AND the public is made aware that they need the authorization. I haven't heard anything about possible fines/repercussions for people getting caught stocking without authorization. I realize right now the "authorization" has changed to a "notice" so there is no enforcement as there is no requirement for permission prior to stocking. It may be years before this turns into an actual private stocking authorization program.

The worst is that the damage is likely already done in a lot of places. This is something that should've been addressed decades ago and we're still hemming and hawing about it instead of just implementing a system to prevent unwanted fish from ending up in the wrong place.

Make sure my invitation also includes the correct section number. I don’t want to end up below Alvin Bush, only to find the party was at Ole Bull.

One land owenr said he wanted a “stream project” to fix his trout farm pond from storm damage lol.you Can imagine what i told him
You redirected him to the PFBC. They'd be more than happy to help.

You can't come in if your rod/reel or nippers are worth more than my vehicles, though......and I drive some real jalopies.

I'll need to stop at Wal-Mart or a flea market then. Sadly my nippers are nothing special, but they do say Orvis on them so that counts for something. I guarantee you that my vehicle is worth less than any vehicle you own. I find it hilarious still that people think I am a baller. I just have way too much into the hobby investment-wise. Is a crackhead rich because they smoke a lot of crack?

Last edited:
That's the absolute worst-case scenario. PFBC brook trout might not be the best suited for survival in the wild, but some of the brook trout from private hatcheries are. I know a few places in the western half of the state that get stocked with some private brook trout that seem to be reproducing w/ wild brook trout in the wild.

The stocking authorization may fix this IF it's enforced AND the public is made aware that they need the authorization. I haven't heard anything about possible fines/repercussions for people getting caught stocking without authorization. I realize right now the "authorization" has changed to a "notice" so there is no enforcement as there is no requirement for permission prior to stocking. It may be years before this turns into an actual private stocking authorization program.

The worst is that the damage is likely already done in a lot of places. This is something that should've been addressed decades ago and we're still hemming and hawing about it instead of just implementing a system to prevent unwanted fish from ending up in the wrong place.

I agree 100%. I always thought it was funny that the creek I have in mind is stocked over a population of brook trout that seemed to be doing pretty well when I last fished it. The creek is special, my family has fished it for a few generations. The club that stocks it probably has been for a long time, I guess old traditions die hard.

I'll need to stop at Wal-Mart or a flea market then. Sadly my nippers are nothing special, but they do say Orvis on them so that counts for something. I guarantee you that my vehicle is worth less than any vehicle you own. I find it hilarious still that people think I am a baller. I just have way too much into the hobby investment-wise. Is a crackhead rich because they smoke a lot of crack?
To the crackhead? Probably so.

Back