Private party stockie list..... Where is it?

jifigz

jifigz

There was a thread a while back and Silverfox had a link to a PDF that had all registered private parties legally stocking trout within PA. I know, there are those that stock illegally stock fish and do so without authorization, but I'm looking for the list/PDF that was in a thread from a couple of months ago.

I can't seem to find it by googling.....I found something similar but not quite the same thing..... The list I am talking about was a pretty thorough list....

Any help is appreciated.

I think your talking about the co-op list. If so,You can find it at PA fish and boat website . Under the cooperative nursery program section there should be a trout stocking location link.

I think your talking about the co-op list. If so,You can find it at PA fish and boat website . Under the cooperative nursery program section there should be a trout stocking location link.
I think that is what I found when I searched, yes, but that is not the list that I'm looking for......at least I don't believe it is. Let me double check it.....

How does one get invited to one of these private stocking parties? Is there an after stocking party too? Should I wear my bootfoots?

Am I not on the A list around here? I guess if I have to ask, I should know the answer.

How does one get invited to one of these private stocking parties? Is there an after stocking party too? Should I wear my bootfoots?

Am I not on the A list around here? I guess if I have to ask, I should know the answer.
The invite and location is printed on the bottom of BUUUUUUUUSSSSCCCHHH Light cans. Thats why there are so many of n the woods

Alright you's wise guys......it was the Co-Op list. The reason I did not think that it was the correct list is because the stream in question is listed under the wrong county.

But it would definitely be a neoprenes, boot foot only kind of thing .......

Alright you's wise guys......it was the Co-Op list. The reason I did not think that it was the correct list is because the stream in question is listed under the wrong county.

But it would definitely be a neoprenes, boot foot only kind of thing .......
Are you saying that you found a list of the streams that are stocked by the co-op nurseries? If so, I must have looked in the wrong place.

Yes, I found the list of streams that are stocked by Co-Ops and yes, that was the list I was searching for. What made me think it was not the right list is because the stream in question is listed under the wrong county.

Yes, I found the list of streams that are stocked by Co-Ops and yes, that was the list I was searching for. What made me think it was not the right list is because the stream in question is listed under the wrong county.

When you send my invite, make sure you put the right county on it. I don’t wanna end up at Bowl-O-Rama, three counties over.

I always cringe when I see that list and see palmyra sportsmens puts hatchery brookies in stony creek.

When you send my invite, make sure you put the right county on it. I don’t wanna end up at Bowl-O-Rama, three counties over.
Well....let's make this extra confusing......

Here was my thought process. The stream I was searching for to verify it was the correct list is not even the stream that I wanted to gather info on. It is a stream I am familiar with and knew it was on the list I was searching for....I finally found it and verified it is the correct list. Like I said, having it listed under the wrong county didn't help me find it. Now that I knew this was the list that I wanted I looked into the stream that I was fishing yesterday....

The stream I wanted to research that I was fishing yesterday I found on the list and did indeed verify that it is stocked by a sportsman's club. I knew the PFBC only stocked this stream with rainbows and I kept turning up dinky, 7-8" stockie browns. I also caught at least one wild brown, too. Being fairly unfamiliar with this list I was happy to be able to verify where the browns were coming from. This stream shouldn't be stocked at all, however, but really none should....

The one piece of info I didn't see on the list (I will recheck this morning and see if I can find it) is the private stocking done on Kish for that crap-show of a fundraising "tournament" in the narrows. Where do those fish come from? Who buys them and from which Co-Op hatchery are they bought from? Can organizations buy trout directly from the PFBC ever?

The organization on that list is pretty atrocious.

Your right the coops stock ALOT of browns which is defined some unquantified amount worse than rainbows(still very harmful). But yea one could argue coops with their ratios of brook and brown trout stocking and some of their heinous stocking locations are some of the most dangerous stockings for wild native brook trout. If you can’t source kish fish from a coop its likely private hatchery.

Thanks. I’m pleased but surprised this exists.

Fish Sticks, we were working on this before I retired and believe me, it was no small task trying to ascertain what Sections were being stocked given all of the local descriptions and the need to try to track down the local stocking coordinators for the clubs, etc. After that initial effort, however, the project seemed to be going nowhere. I wonder when (which year) individuals here would estimate that this list first appeared.

Last edited:
Well....let's make this extra confusing......

Here was my thought process. The stream I was searching for to verify it was the correct list is not even the stream that I wanted to gather info on. It is a stream I am familiar with and knew it was on the list I was searching for....I finally found it and verified it is the correct list. Like I said, having it listed under the wrong county didn't help me find it. Now that I knew this was the list that I wanted I looked into the stream that I was fishing yesterday....

The stream I wanted to research that I was fishing yesterday I found on the list and did indeed verify that it is stocked by a sportsman's club. I knew the PFBC only stocked this stream with rainbows and I kept turning up dinky, 7-8" stockie browns. I also caught at least one wild brown, too. Being fairly unfamiliar with this list I was happy to be able to verify where the browns were coming from. This stream shouldn't be stocked at all, however, but really none should....

The one piece of info I didn't see on the list (I will recheck this morning and see if I can find it) is the private stocking done on Kish for that crap-show of a fundraising "tournament" in the narrows. Where do those fish come from? Who buys them and from which Co-Op hatchery are they bought from? Can organizations buy trout directly from the PFBC ever?

The organization on that list is pretty atrocious.
There are many private commercial hatcheries that people buy trout from. That is almost certainly where the fire company buys trout for their fundraising tournament. The list you are looking at is just for coop hatcheries, which are run by sportsmens clubs. I'm pretty sure they are prohibited from selling any trout.

The "wrong county" situation may be because the PFBC databases sometimes list streams by the county where the mouth of the stream is located which can be a long way downstream of the trout water on the stream.

Your right the coops stock ALOT of browns which is defined some unquantified amount worse than rainbows(still very harmful). But yea one could argue coops with their ratios of brook and brown trout stocking and some of their heinous stocking locations are some of the most dangerous stockings for wild native brook trout. If you can’t source kish fish from a coop its likely private hatchery.
And you're telling me buying fish from a private hatchery and stocking them is not regulated at all? This tournament is a pretty big deal and a wonderful fundraiser for the fire company that puts it on. I understand that vounteer fire companies are struggling and they are vital part to our rural communities. They stock "money fish" in a several mile stretch of Kish and this really brings in the people from out of town. It really is a boon to the local economy as hotels get booked, bars and restaurants see more traffic, etc, but boy does Kish take a beating for that weekend. People out the wazoo, litter, fishing line left behind, beer cans....you know, the usual.

Back