Pics of flies I tied for Streamer Swap

ErnieBall

ErnieBall

here they are:

3432694109_4299672a84_m.jpg

3433501752_ac9aac596c_m.jpg

3433501752_ac9aac596c_m.jpg

great looking flies ernie well done !!

thanks --- still fairly new to tying -- so i am trying to get some input on the flys --- i hope the people in the swap dont laugh at them! haha

Look fine to me- I am sure they will catch fish.

i hope so...

very nice dude! looks like the "sexy shad" color haha.

Nice ties, no apologies required on them!

JG

ps. Thanks for the reminder that I have to get on the bench and finish mine up.!

yeah - i almost forgot and then i just cranked them out yesterday -- they should be in the mail monday

I will fish it with confidence, until I throw it into a tree.

haha -- i'll tie two for ya...

I just finished mine up. Will mail them out Monday. The are two strips of rabbit, glued together with some super special glue, one on top of the hook, one below. It was kind of a cool process. I will be fishing on Thursday and Friday, will let you know how they work.

ps. can't believe that I finished them on time!

pps. I tied a dozen, some extras for our swap host and Dave K.

p4150050.jpg

thanks for one upping me there, george

:)

No laughing here.......they'll work just fine.

Ernie... are you new to tying? The heads on those flies look horrible. Make about 50 less wraps and you will be good

The heads look fine to me ernie, but I'm not an expert.

Spyder20oz wrote:
Ernie... are you new to tying? The heads on those flies look horrible. Make about 50 less wraps and you will be good

haha, ok man

thanks for the input .....(sarcasm)

Ernie,

Many streamer patterns call for a built up head. Your flies look fine.

Spyder20oz wrote:

Spyder, HERE you go again.....

:-(

Attachments

• streamer.jpg
    streamer.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 2
  • streamer 2.jpg
    streamer 2.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Streamer 3.jpg
    Streamer 3.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 3
EB,
While the heads on your flies are a bit on the large size, overall, they look really good and would clearly be fine fish catchers. Many more traditional wets and streamers tend to have somewhat larger heads (as Afish's photos demonstrate). This is likely a result of thicker threads being more of the norm decades ago. Also, since your streamers are hair wing, it is often on the wise side to err on more thread turns when you build the head simply because hair wing streamers are more susceptible to "pulling out" and need to be wound down thoroughly.

They're fine flies.

thanks fish, i am still fairy new to tying and am trying to learn one skill at a time

Ernie,

I will gladly fish those flies!! Never seen a bucktail with a undersized head, oh wait. I did once, but it was only a bucktail for the first few casts and then it was a hook with red yarn and tinsel!
Looking forward to the swap, my flies will be in the mail today.

JH

Back