PFBC Meeting regarding proposed fee increases - Friday June 10 2022

Does PAFB have to answer to the auditor general or state treasurer if their doing something fiscally unsustainable/risky(like no cutting expenditures and running low reserves) or operating counter to their stated purpose(resource first). A.K.A would investigation of waste fraud and abuse be only in hands of the house and senate fish and game committees or do these other people have any regulatory authority? I know for federal money waste, fraud, and abuse is pursued a lot more aggressively. Is Dingle Johnson excise tax money federal?
And yes, DJ is federal money from the sale of outdoor recreation related items. Sadly, manufacturing yellow trout is well within the intended use of those funds because it's "recreation" money, not "conservation" money.

No mention that:

Waste:
the ~ 13 million dollar outlay provides a “fishery” for 4-6 weeks in most cases and by august anything left that survives probably has gone from under 10 bucks a fish to $600 per stocked rainbow available to the angler in august…if it hasn’t run onto private land that is. Mean while no one brining up we have a invasive species in brown trout that ya can’t stop from expanding its range in Pa overall if you tried that would provide ample angling opportunity and even more if stocking wasn’t occurring. Its amazing how the fish commission will say they “have to “ stock a class C brook trout stream to “ create a fishery” when the stream is no more dense with catchables than it was class C the other 10 months of the year.

Fraud: “resource first” and the fact that their trout management plan is to fix habitat and connectivity when a large body of research demonstrates that won’t work if you ignore biotic issues. It would be like if I practiced medicine using blood letting and the 4 evil humors. PAFB knowingly comitting malpractice and being told their plan to ignore invasive species won’t work but it hasn’t stop the PDF’s from being posted online suggesting they are “racing against the clock to save our state fish”.

Abuse:
We all learned this year there are certain commissioners who are real friendly with co-ops and attempt to pander to their every want and need making everyother license holder in some invisible less important second tier. Gotta actually thank PAFB staff here credit where credit due to shutting down Brock as my Christmas present this year on freeman run. We all know elected officials are back channeling too. I would say ignoring their outlined role/ responsibilities as a resource manager im PA to such a high publicly visible degree and just stocking to grow revenue is morally bankrupt and a huge abuse of their power.

Really as silverfox mentioned they can only get away with stuff because its esoteric to most citizens of the common wealth and the legislative committees like it this way. Its hiding in plain sight.

Look at it this way. If those guys weren't chasing the white trucks, they'd be chasing the brookies.

i'm out.

Look at it this way. If those guys weren't chasing the white trucks, they'd be chasing the brookies.

i'm out.
I’m not so sure about that. Are people fishing the stream or fishing for what the state puts in the stream? Where we’ve stopped stocking due to reclassification, are the streams being over harvested now that theres no stocked trout? Are the same numbers of anglers fishing the stream after stocking ends? I doubt it.

i'm out.
So many people who like to fish are under the impression that fishing, not fish, is the main objective for the masses. Sometimes it is but we forget that for some people the objective is fish not fishing. And for others its in between with quick easy effortless catching being an appealing twice annual novelty and the spectrum progresses towards people like us who make up minority.

I would actually go as far to say there would be less native brook trout harvested if there were not stocking on them/ in tgeir watersheds. The only difference in our opinion is i have literature to support that statement ( petty et al 2014), a guiding paper that contributes to other states making brook trout c and r (because of the attention stocked trout attract. )

It was actually another state’s manager responsible for brook trout(who’s actually managing them) that said something along the lines of “ of course if you dump thousands of trout in the water and attract all those people those larger more mobile brook trout in those down stream areas will come out on a stringer and believe the paper he referenced to back that dynamic up was this one under fishjng related mortality section.

being because a lot of these downstream areas are stocked this leads to this higher angler effort where these important individuals are.

Back to the license fee increase, you could actually use any of these other states who have discontinued stocking in these brook trout watersheds/over threatened endangered species as a model for financial sustainability and way to keep our license fees down. Not that any of us care about $10 if it goes to our native resources but I don’t want to give one more cent to the hatcheries and this sentiment is growing.

Instead we of raising one less fish we will just have the poor regional biologist responsible for managing channel catfish, musky, northern pike, smallmouth, brook trout, panfish, madtoms, shiners, darters,sculpins, suckers, chubs, cray fish from the laurel highlands to pittsburg.

I'm starting to understand the real problem here.
I'm positive you don't.
For years I have lurked on this site and it is always the same thing. A few guys will be very passionate about brook trout and will have lots of data.

Eventually, one of the old timers come in to the discussion and act like it is impossible to help support these fish in conservation measures and cessation of stocking because of what the masses want.

It isn't at all.
They are two separate issues being force molded into one.

Part of the problem is the acknowledgement that what they are saying is pure and they are preaching to the choir while simultaneously acting like the pew section.

Be a part of the solution, support initiatives, conversation efforts and discussion to help our native trout rather than speak out against it.

If the choir won't sing along and foster support do you expect the regular Joe will?

Last edited:
I’m not so sure about that. Are people fishing the stream or fishing for what the state puts in the stream? Where we’ve stopped stocking due to reclassification, are the streams being over harvested now that theres no stocked trout? Are the same numbers of anglers fishing the stream after stocking ends? I doubt it.
Now you’ve pretty much answered one of your own queries that pertained to special regs, specifically, C&R. This, along with the 2004 wild trout streams angler use and harvest study results, is precisely why special regs for wild trout, including C&R, are unnecessary nearly everywhere in Pa. If the formerly popular stocked trout streams that are now Class A and unstocked are not getting hammered and overharvested, why would other wild trout streams with lesser followings be of such concern? I’m willing to agree that there are probably some very limited exceptions, primarily in some of the existing special reg wild trout streams where special regs are appropriate, but then you have to ask if that would be the case if there were no special regs on some of those waters, given the number of anglers who focus seemingly only on special reg waters. Again, there may be some very limited exceptions and that’s why I said “nearly everywhere.”

Last edited:
Now you’ve pretty much answered one of your own queries. This is precisely why special regs for wild trout, including C&R, are unnecessary nearly everywhere in Pa. I’m willing to agree that there are probably some very limited exceptions, primarily in some of the existing special reg wild trout streams, but then you have to ask if that would be the case if there were no special regs on some of those waters, given the number of anglers who focus seemingly only on special reg waters. But, broadly speaking, that’s why I said “nearly everywhere.”
I agree, however, if we're going to continue stocking over brook trout, in my opinion, we should make the species C&R where there's overlap (i.e. like MD did in Western Maryland). Additionally, as you noted, I'm sure there are other places where C&R may have a positive impact (i.e., like MD did in Eastern Maryland). I personally don't think C&R in remote 1st and 2nd order wilderness brook trout streams would have much of an impact, in most cases, however, the message that such regulations would send and what that could mean for the support of the species may be more important than any realized biological impact due to the regulations themselves. Edit> I also still stand by watershed level protections for brook trout as they're proven effective. Even with continued stocking in some cases.

Last edited:
By the way, all the proposed fee increases passed the committee meeting so they'll go for public comment now.

I'm glad they'll get their fee increase. I'm sure it will pass all the other checks and balances. It was mentioned in the meeting that sales were down this year by about $2million, so this isn't really going to give them any additional revenue to work with. It will only maintain the status quo for the next few years.

I just wish they'd look at the potential cost savings by relocating all the trout stocked over brook trout to other waters.

I'm positive you don't.
For years I have lurked on this site and it is always the same thing. A few guys will be very passionate about brook trout and will have lots of data.

Eventually, one of the old timers come in to the discussion and act like it is impossible to help support these fish in conservation measures and cessation of stocking because of what the masses want.

It isn't at all.
They are two separate issues being force molded into one.

Part of the problem is the acknowledgement that what they are saying is pure and they are preaching to the choir while simultaneously acting like the pew section.

Be a part of the solution, support initiatives, conversation efforts and discussion to help our native trout rather than speak out against it.

If the choir won't sing along and foster support do you expect the regular Joe will?
I was referring to his obvious suggestion that the people who fish for stocked trout are only shopping and not really fisherman. That, as he tells it, they don't even like to fish and only do it for the meat. That's a bunch high on your horse crap.

I was referring to his obvious suggestion that the people who fish for stocked trout are only shopping and not really fisherman. That, as he tells it, they don't even like to fish and only do it for the meat. That's a bunch high on your horse crap.
I never said everyone and even posted this acknowledging the spectrum.

“So many people who like to fish are under the impression that fishing, not fish, is the main objective for the masses. Sometimes it is but we forget that for some people the objective is fish not fishing. And for others its in between with quick easy effortless catching being an appealing twice annual novelty and the spectrum progresses towards people like us who make up minority.”

I was pointing out not EVERYONE who fishes for stocked trout is focused on the fishing, I was not implying they all wanted the fish.

"Not true, they would just be driving to Giant"
Yes I assumed we were already talking about the sub group of stocked trout anglers who prioritized the fish over the fishing already, not all stocked trout anglers because I assumed that you did not mean every single angler that fishes for stocked fish would go blue lining for meat, but I guess you were?

The stock everything folks talk to the PFBC, the Fish Commissioners, and their state legislators.

The native brookie fans talk to the internet.

Guess which is most effective.
That’s not true at all.

The stock everything folks talk to the PFBC, the Fish Commissioners, and their state legislators.

The native brookie fans talk to the internet.

Guess which is most effective.
I’ve done all of that, plus had articles published, podcasts, written formal letters, spoken to countless anglers, offered help, tried to get involved in conservation initiatives all over the state, and speak my mind on social media.

It’s far harder to change status quo than it is to maintain it.

Back