PFBC Electroshocking the Letort

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
Good video of the PFBC Electroshocking the Letort.

Nothing like a 22"-23" brown to get you excited

MY KID LIVES 4 OR 5 BLOCKS FROM THE CREEK ON THE DICKINSON CAMPUS. IF HE DOESN'T FISH IT SOON I'M CUTTING HIM OFF. MAYBE I'LL FORWARD THIS TO HIM....

Notice that the big trout was caught near where there's a large tree fallen in the stream.

It looks like there is some pretty good cover under the tree limbs, and like there's some depth there because the current is getting pushed over by the downed tree, creating a slot where the current dug down into the streambed substrate.

It's interesting to compare that very good looking habitat with some of the flat and very shallow habitat in some other parts of the Letort.

Not exactly scooping them up by the dozens.

There's a very large tree that toppled over during a storm in the upper meadows about 2 years ago, and they didn't remove the whole thing leaving the base (15-20 ft )section in the stream that created a beautiful undercut. . Almost immediately the Browns moved in and has been a great spot to toss a streamer. It's understanding to move them in certain areas, but in the same hand, it's removing prime habitat, and cover.
With the weed-kill and record low flows It'll be interesting to see the numbers on this survey.

Stocked, but well-fed. No eye spot, only a smear.

LetortAngler wrote:
There's a very large tree that toppled over during a storm in the upper meadows about 2 years ago, and they didn't remove the whole thing leaving the base (15-20 ft )section in the stream that created a beautiful undercut. . Almost immediately the Browns moved in and has been a great spot to toss a streamer. It's understanding to move them in certain areas, but in the same hand, it's removing prime habitat, and cover.

Why was any part of the tree removed? Why didn't they just let it alone?

Why was any part of the tree removed? Why didn't they just let it alone?

Why? Because each situation is unique.

If there's a blockage of the entire width of the stream creating a dam like situation, then usually a portion of the tree gets cut out to allow for a continued free flowing channel. With such a low gradient it doesn't take much to clog up a stream like the Letort and turn a spot like Trego's Meadow into a shallow beaver pond. Generally the root wads are left intact to provide for habitat and bank stability.

Eye spot is over rated.
I'll take a blue smear any day.

Tomitrout is right on. They move the trees out because they flood the banks and then the possibilities of a sink hole are more concerning.

Although some of the trees they have removed didn't seem necessary. But that's not my call.

Was on the stream yesterday and the cress was so tall in some areas the banks were flooding, pushing the water out of the stream.

Question when electroshocking...does it harm the smaller wildlife in the stream? What happens to the nymphs, minnows, etc?

If shocking with appropriate voltage and current very little negative side effects to other fish species. In fact when trying to survey for small minnow species it actually takes more juice than when targeting game species such as trout due to smaller surface areas. The impacts on macro invertebrates is an interesting question I know that crayfish do not like the electric current, but I never observed significant numbers of dead crayfish after a survey during my electrofishing days. I would imagine macros are displaced during a survey similar to a group of people wading through a stream kicking up the substrate.

Can we please start another thread about how to handle a trout before release.

Hook_Jaw wrote:

Can we please start another thread about how to handle a trout before release.

I think your supposed to throw them up on the bank after you rip the hook out of there throat?

into the creel

bigjohn58 wrote:
Question when electroshocking...does it harm the smaller wildlife in the stream? What happens to the nymphs, minnows, etc?

I saw them electrofish a section of Fishing Creek one time. It killed quite a few suckers. I did not see any dead trout or other fish.

I saw a 25" wild brown die during electroshocking on Tipton Run many years ago ( like 20 years lol man I'm getting older). That was somber moment for everyone involved. You'd have thought it was a funeral.

JackM wrote:
Stocked, but well-fed. No eye spot, only a smear.

They stock the Letort?

Back