PFBC Adds 6 Waters to Keystone Program

I'm all for it. I am not a huge fan of FFO sections anyway so this is a good thing. C&R and only the bait is limited not the tackle.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:

Like I have said before (and this thread is a prime example) when you post a stream report on this site it won't be only C&R fly fishermen who see it so keep that in mind.

foxtrapper1972,

Paflyfish is based on sharing of all things fly fishing. This includes stream reports. Insinuating that the Stream Reports Forum somehow has an adverse impact on fly fishing opportunities or worse, is false. Quite the contrary! For over twenty years Paflyfish, with the belief of sharing and stream reports, has done nothing but promote the sport across the region. Tens of thousands of interested fly fishing anglers have found their way here to learn about conservation, fly tying, stream locations, techniques, entomology, regulations and to have some fun. Which by the way is what I think the point of the sport really is all about.

I like to encourage sharing on the site. So when you post a stream report on this site you are helping another fly fishing angler and please keep this in mind.

I would have like the PAFBC expand the program more by expanding special reg water not change the special regulations and state the are under a new program.

I have zero interest in catching stocked fish, big or small, I simply don't care or have the time to waste on them. If I'm going fishing, I'm gonna take the time to go after wild fish in a beautiful place.
If people want to chase after stocked pigs, go for it, it will keep them off the creeks I like fish(not that many of them would want to walk that far anyways)
I'd like to see trout stocking ended on a couple streams near me, to see how the smallmouth population would do, and to keep the G@ddamn litter away from the opening day BS.

"I've never seen a spin fisherman on the Tully DHALO."

geebee,

Yes people do spin fish the Tully, especially the first week or two after the spring stocking.

Earlier in this thread questions were raised about the Tulpehocken sectioning strategy and numbering system. There are two sections in the DH ALO program, Sections 06 and 07, both of which are nearly (0.1 mi. difference) the same length, about 1.8-1.9 miles. With forethought, it has been this way since the DH Area was established in the early 1980's so that when desired or needed the two sections could be stocked somewhat differently within the existing DH ALO regulations.

First and foremost for the topic of this thread, Tulpehocken Ck, Section 07, which extends from Reber's Bridge (the metal grated bridge) downstream to the covered bridge is the section that is now in the Keystone Select program. Section 07 is stocked with adult RT in the fall and adult BT (browns) in the spring. I expect that the brood fish stocked in Section 07 in spring will be all BT if they are fully available. Fat, colorful, 13-15 inch RT will most likely be those that have survived from the fall.

Section 06 extends from the Blue Marsh Dam area down to Reber's bridge. Section 06 is stocked with a mixture of adult RT and BT in spring. It receives a private fall stocking of RT fingerlings.

Section 08, which extends from the covered bridge to the mouth, is also under a special regulation, specifically it is a stocked trout stream open to year around fishing. All tackle is allowed. It receives two spring inseason stockings of adult BT and RT and a fall stocking of adult RT. It easily handles overflow from the DH Area and has some excellent habitat in places that are not impounded by dams. It has some of the best habitat in the entire three sections. Personally, I enjoy fishing it under fairly high water conditions since it starts to then remind me of fishing a river.
For those who wish to avoid the Keystone Select water, Sections 06 and 08 will be good alternatives.

If you are curious regarding the fish that will be stocked in the Tully this spring, I invite you to attend either of the stockings and lend a hand. I noted that the crew could have used some extra help last year and with larger fish in abundance, it will take more bucket trips to deliver the fish to the stream.

For Dave W, who has apparently followed the Section number history of the Tully, section numbers were changed a few years ago due to the creation of additional sections between Blue Marsh and the headwaters as a result of posting problems in the western Berks Co stretch and the creation of a separate stocked section in Lebanon Co.

Mike,

I hope to help stock the Tully this year. Will float stocking devices be available?

PFBC does not provide them, but I think a local effort is being mounted through two sources.

DH vs. FFO, I don't know. I don't fish for hatchery fish very much. Seems to me DH is a big draw for spin fishermen. I have no qualms with them. That's their thing, so have fun with it. I'd prefer they stay off wild streams with the treble hooks anyway, but I question how many times a fish can be caught with a treble hook and released to be caught again.

Mortality studies say they are fairly resilient, but I still question it.

Thanks for the info, Mike.

I really don't see why there's so much concern about the Tully being designated a Keystone stocked stream.

If it were a wild trout stream I'd be the first to protest, but it's stocked already and the program just means some bigger fish will be added to the stocking.

The stream may get more fishing pressure and (God forbid) more spin guys may show. :-o

So what?!

No problem.

Everyone fish on...or not if you so choose.

Enjoy.

afishinado wrote:
Thanks for the info, Mike.

I really don't see why there's so much concern about the Tully being designated a Keystone stocked stream.

If it were a wild trout stream I'd be the first to protest, but it's stocked already and the program just means some bigger fish will be added to the stocking.

The stream may get more fishing pressure and (God forbid) more spin guys may show. :-o

So what?!

No problem.

Everyone fish on...or not if you so choose.

Enjoy.

I agree. A big section of the Tully is already DHALO and I really don't see this attracting tons of spin fishermen. It is already heavily pressured so a few more people fishing isnt a big deal. From my limited experience on the Tully, I consider it a large trout stream and that means lots of room for fishermen and lots of places for the fish to hide.

Anymore most trout fishermen I see spin or ff are C&R fishing. Years ago everyone at camp had a stringer of fish now you may see two or three with a stringer and that is usually only on opening day or the truck chasers during the second stocking. After that I hardly ever see someone with a stringer of fish.

good information thanks mike. interesting about Section 8. I ha dno idea it was stocked down there.

I don't usually fish just after a stocking, so maybe that's why I've never seen a spin fisher...

Damn spin and bait slobs.

Mike,
I still believe some sections above the lake could be great candidates for the DHALO program and even this program.
Have you guys ever considered this and if so, is it still a thought?

Isn't Pine Creek under those regs?

It's been reported here and elsewhere that White Clay has turned into a real zoo with this new hog stocking promotion. That's really a shame. How do you define "quality" trout fishing?

Nymph-wristed wrote:
Isn't the Tully a DHALO not a FFO? I don't know why lure guys get a bad rap. Fish don't get gut hooked on trebles. In fact, you are lucky to get them hooked with 1/3 of one hook. Wild fish? Try setting the hook with a spinner on a wild fish before it is gone. Fishing with plastic, wood and metal lures is not bait fishing, plain and simple. I have seen plenty of fly fishermen over-handling fish on the Tully over the years, same with Ridley FFO, even Valley. If you have never fished with anything but a fly rod, how can you assume a guy with a spinning rod is out to kill trout with trebles?? Makes no sense and doesn't give the fish enough credit either. Did you never take a gnat or trico out of a fish's gullet? Please....

X2 on this! This is spot on!

I see plenty of spin rod guys fish for both wild and stocked trout with care and respect, myself included. I enjoy catching a trout just as much on a yo zuri pins minnow as I do a dry fly. The respect of the resource doesn't come from the type rod in the anglers hand.

From another thread this report of White Clay Creek Keystone program---

"Yeah last year I was down there on the second day where I normally park. There are usually 1 or 2 other cars that day there was no parking so I pulled up on the bank. As I was getting ready 2 cars pulled in with Jersey plates with 4 guys in each car asking if this was the big trout spot they saw on the TV. So 8 guys grabbed there spin gear a tromped off that pretty much sums it up. I'd say 75% were spin fishers the first month last year"

So there you have it fellow flyfishers!

How I define quality trout fishing, is not how another may define quality trout fishing. Overall it changes outing per outing. If I'm seeking big fish, I go fish the Lack, Letort, Connie or something of the like. If I'm seeking hatches I might go somewhere else, I sure don't go to the Letort.

Point is that definition is different for every angler. As the majority, I'm going to generalize now, of fly fisherman have expressed time and time again to the PFBC that mainly means wild trout. Since the Keystone Select program is mainly on stocked waters, this has little bearing to fly fisherman. I don't see why you have an issue with the program.

White Clay Creek may be an exception. It is small and in an area that is very dependent on stocking. It certainly could displace anglers there. Your gripe on the Tully is just silly. The tully is huge and already heavily pressured. If you are seeking solitude there you might find more fishing in downtown Philly.

Your argument is laughable, talk about a logical fallacy. Because a few anglers have shown displeasure in this one instance, it's now a bad program everywhere?
I don't like two cousins in east petersbug but I think the Manheim one makes great pizza. Go figure. To end this, I imagine you fish for mostly wild trout fox, amirite? This program caters to a whole different crowd of anglers. Just like the first day of trout season caters to a whole different crowd. What do you want? All the streams? You want wild trout, you want the first day circus to end, you want no stocking over wild trout and now you want no stocking of large trout in waters already stocked in special regulation areas.
The Keystone Select Program interests me next to zero. I have fished those stretches zero times, I plan on fishing them zero more times this year. You may if you like but don't go there knowing what it will be like and then whine to the minority of anglers how you hate it. It seems the majority it caters to really like it. Then again "as a fly fisherman you may be the minority here".

And they can have it and I guess you too.
I just think there are bigger things to whine about.

I wonder why it is called whining when I happen to disagree about something?

I enjoy fishing in all kinds of settings sal. Yes . Mainly wild fish. I happen to also enjoy the Tulpehocken and see ANY changes that include promoting stocking hogs as being stupid and mainly in the interest of pandering to sell licenses NOT in the interest of maintaining quality experiences or encouraging anything different than the sort of fishing one gets on opening day on any stocked mudhole in PA. Tulpehocken happens to be a decent place just as it is in my view,
No big deal just talking. I'll stop now.

Back