Penns Creek / Camping

P

pool_spooker

I was up near Knobles this weekend and took 11/15. I crossed over Penns Creek. Never fished it before but it looked OK.
Can anyone recommed a campground near there or on the creek that has good facilities for the wife and decent camp sites that arent too close together? Much appreciated.

BTW - fished the Yough 2 weeks ago. Stayed at the outflow campground and fished Ramcat. Saw some nice fish jumping but only caught a couple small trout and a number of large rafts. Looks like mornings and evenings are the bet here.

Thanks.

Hmm if you crossed Penn's on 11/15 you would have been in Selinsgrove. That there is bass water only for a long ways upstream. I fish it above there in New Berlin and have good smallmouth fishing.

If you mean a campground near Knoebel's there is one called JD campground. Back when I was still in college a professor of mine owned that. I am sure he still does. He is a really nice guy and I would recommend it just by knowing him.

BJ

Poe Paddy State park has campsites located right next to the creek. They have a few adirondacks and a bunch of tent sites. I stay there every year in mid-May and its always a great time. This time of year the water is too warm to safely catch and release trout. Further downstream is decent smallmouth water.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/poepaddy.aspx

If Poe Paddy fills up, Poe Valley St Pk is right down the road. There is another campground about 20 minutes away; not sure of the name, but we buy our firewood from them. Anyone know what its called?

zuno412 wrote:
Poe Paddy State park has campsites located right next to the creek. They have a few adirondacks and a bunch of tent sites. I stay there every year in mid-May and its always a great time. This time of year the water is too warm to safely catch and release trout. Further downstream is decent smallmouth water.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/poepaddy.aspx

If Poe Paddy fills up, Poe Valley St Pk is right down the road. There is another campground about 20 minutes away; not sure of the name, but we buy our firewood from them. Anyone know what its called?

Do you mean Hemlock Acres? It is up over the mountain from Poe. I believe the road name is Milheim Pike and the campground is in Coburn...or a mile from it. We use it for the Jam every couple years. Nice place. flush toilets, showers, and I believe Rudy just put in a few new cabins.

Paul G knows the number...he has a place there.

Maurice

I stayed at Poe Paddy in mid May. Its a great place! I agree that the water may be too warm to fish this time of year. The rail trail is a beautiful hike.

Make sure your wife knows that there is no running water or electricity and the outhouses are new, but are still primitive.

I would say Poe Paddy is your best bet - I spend alot of time up in that area - belong to a camp right out the road from Poe Paddy by the railroad bed.

Back