Parachute Fly Swap

Well if you can make comparadun style flies with deer/elk, I guess it’s not impossible to turn it into a post. Nice job.

I have had a few post want to rotate on me. Is there any harm as far as float-ability to add just a small dab of super glue at this point in the tie? Maybe on the thread prior to the post may be better?
a dab of super glue would be okay and it won't make your fly sink

tighter wraps of thread might be better

Not a parachute, but I cleaned up with this yesterday. Going to start tying the swap flies this week.

Attachments

• IMG_8269.jpeg
    IMG_8269.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8270.jpeg
    IMG_8270.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8284.png
    IMG_8284.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Doesn’t have to be bright. Darker colors can be more visible in low light. I usually just match the post to the wing color of the natural but that’s personal preference and probably doesn’t matter. Use whatever color you want/have on hand.

The tying looks really good, definitely better than mine!

I have a question though. Aren’t parachute posts supposed to be white or other bright colors? I thought that the purpose of the parachute is to make the fly easier for the angler to see.
I will use orange or pink posts when the flies get down below size 20. Otherwise I try to post in the color of the dun’s wing.

Reactions: Kms
Btw, if anyone wants a more than lifetime supply of parachute material at the ridiculous price of ~ $0.01 per YARD, here you go:

Phentex slipper yarn, 100% olefin/polypropylene

Three 164 yard rolls for $5.98. Stupidly three rolls are cheaper than just one.

Finer and softer fibers than Bonnie braid, obviously much cheaper, definitely floats, and indistinguishable from the little Perfect Hatch branded baggie I purchased previously.

As I’ve already purchased three packs of red, black and white I will throw in a roll of each to the parachute swap for distribution and/or the benefit of our gracious sponsor.

Unrelated, but if anyone is looking for nice, cheap little compartmented storage, these seem quite sturdy and have actual hinges.
Everything Mary 10 Comp Box https://www.walmart.com/ip/915178108

Here are a few of the green drakes taking shape. Hackle is whiting olive griz + tan high&dry. Poly post, biot body with superfine dub and CDL tailing. Size 10 comp style wide gap hook.
IMG_0444.jpeg

IMG_0445.jpeg

Back