Parachute Fly Swap

I've never done a swap but I understand the concept. I honestly haven't tied a fly since probably April-ish and I'm not the best tier when I do practice. All that said, I could tie a few parachute sulphurs if you'd have me.
@phiendWMD
You are in!! Thanks.

1. paulbrown145 - The Dirty Rat
2. Iprudente - Slate Drake Parachute
3. dc410 - Parachute Ant
4. laszlo - TBD
5. phiendWMD - Sulphur Parachute

Thanks for the reply re buoyancy. I’m not participating because nobody would want my flies (yet). I signed up for the 6 week beginner fly tying class with mainline fly tyers, so maybe I’ll catch the next swap.
@Kms
Jump on in to this swap. The best way to learn is to tie. And when you sit down to tie say 10 flies of the exact same pattern, you really learn a lot from fly to fly. WWKimba always encouraged tyers of all levels to join. We can provide you tips or tricks from what we see, and you also get a bunch of flies to copy.

My wife found this stash at a yard sale. I wasn’t sure what I would do with them but I guess they will be good parachute post for the next ones. Feels similar to the zylon martial i used for the dirty rats.

Attachments

• IMG_6255.jpeg
    IMG_6255.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 23
My wife found this stash at a yard sale. I wasn’t sure what I would do with them but I guess they will be good parachute post for the next ones. Feels similar to the zylon martial i used for the dirty rats.
Cool find.
Can I get your wife to look for me for any classic bamboo rods when she goes to yard sales??

@JLB
You are in!

Just a few spots left!!

3. dc410 - Parachute Ant
4. laszlo - TBD
6. JLB - Hendrickson Parachute

Reactions: JLB
This sounds like it could be fun. I've been tying on again/off again for almost 20 years and I'm just starting to get into it again after quite a while of not tying. My skills are a little rusty and this seems like a good excuse to keep practicing. If I could do a quill bodied parachute, I'd be in for this. Years ago when I was still new to fly fishing, I tied a quill gordon wet and had such a good experience with it that it remains one of my favorite fly patterns in any form (dry, wet, emerger, whatever.) What type of box do we send these in? Just a box big enough to hold the flies sent and put it in a padded envelope of some sort?

This sounds like it could be fun. I've been tying on again/off again for almost 20 years and I'm just starting to get into it again after quite a while of not tying. My skills are a little rusty and this seems like a good excuse to keep practicing. If I could do a quill bodied parachute, I'd be in for this. Years ago when I was still new to fly fishing, I tied a quill gordon wet and had such a good experience with it that it remains one of my favorite fly patterns in any form (dry, wet, emerger, whatever.) What type of box do we send these in? Just a box big enough to hold the flies sent and put it in a padded envelope of some sort?
Welcome Eagle, it's a lot of fun

@Kms
Jump on in to this swap. The best way to learn is to tie. And when you sit down to tie say 10 flies of the exact same pattern, you really learn a lot from fly to fly. WWKimba always encouraged tyers of all levels to join. We can provide you tips or tricks from what we see, and you also get a bunch of flies to copy.
You convinced me: I’m in. 👍

I’m also (very) open to suggestions about what to tie.

Fantastic Eagle! Welcome!!

For a box I use an altoid tin that fits easily in an envelope. Anything that will protect your flies and the ones returned to you.

3. dc410 - Parachute Ant
4. laszlo - BWO Parachute
7. Eagle204 - Quill Bodied Parachute

Great KMS!!
The swaps really have helped my tying.
As for what fly, that depends on what materials you have. Ants and Mayflies are typical ones to tie, but look around on the internet and find something that you like to fish.

3. dc410 - Parachute Ant
8. KMS - TBD

I'm in if there is some space. I have a few options it seems. open for suggestions: parachute hares ear, hopper, or green drake - or happy to tie something else.

I'm in if there is some space. I have a few options it seems. open for suggestions: parachute hares ear, hopper, or green drake - or happy to tie something else.
@Broodstock
You are in!!
Let me know what you plan to tie.

ONLY 1 SPOT LEFT!!

3. dc410 - Parachute Ant
8. KMS - TBD
9. Broodstock - TBD

Some type of mayfly, especially if you've already tied mayflies. Then it's just a matter of adding a post and changing the orientation of the hackle. And some practice.

Reactions: Kms
Ok as a newer tier I guess I need to learn to tie a parachute. I will go with a simple all around pattern with the parachute Adams. If there is still room.

@PatchezMDM
You got the last spot!

Thank you everyone!!!
Enrollment in this swap is closed!!
I will send everyone a PM regarding details on packing/shipping and due date!

3. dc410 - Parachute Ant
8. KMS - TBD
9. Broodstock - TBD
10. PatchezMDM - Parachute Adam’s

I’d like to try a parachute midge, not sure color yet. I got some size 19 vintage Mustad hooks with huge eyes (tiny eyes give me fits). The gold Mustad is next to a size 20 Daiichi “oversized eye,” and the difference is obvious.
IMG_3928.jpeg
IMG_3927.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Kim stated regularly that it was Bonnie Craft Cord, which appears to be 100% polypropylene.

Since the first swap I did with him, in which I received a piece, I've bought at least half a dozen skeins of it. I've tied many, many parachute flies, spinners, EP style minnows, and other random streamer patterns that have caught many species. I love the stuff.

Big ups to WWKimba, running swaps on the astral plane, I'm sure.
I think hooker is absolutely correct about the poly cord Kim gave us being Bonnie craft cord. I dunked a chunk of the brushed out poly cord in a bowl of water last Saturday. Four days later it’s still in there floating. If I push it down to the bottom of the bowl it slowly rises right back up to the surface. I seperate the strands, cut them off in about 2-3” sections and then brush out the section with a .22 caliber bore brush. I split the brushed out section in half and it makes two parachute posts. It definitely is pretty nice material to work with. I’ve started tying my parachute ants. When it comes time to mail them in I’ll go through the whole pile and the best ones are coming to you guys! The leftovers will go in my fly box - they will definitely all fish well. Good luck with your tying - keep us in the loop with some quality tying talk.

IMG_0747.jpeg

Back